Page 1 of 2
For a while now I've been very interested in North Korea, and the other night while (very) drunk, a friend and I looked up the price to go on the only tour of the country. It was surprisingly affordable, but we're still looking into it.

So what about you, pit? Have you been, do you want to go, what are your views?

I'm very interested...
Enjoy never actually existing and just somehow disappearing suddenly in a way that definitely did not at all connect to Best Korea.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Best tour.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
How much?

This. I'm actually interested, but I'd probably just go to SK instead and hit on plastic girls

nice edit, douche
Be sure to bring lots of cake
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I watched a video that someone posted here once about some guys who snuck cameras on the tour. It was some pretty surreal shit, like really nice restaurants that had no customers in them because they're only purpose is to be a destination on the tour to show you how great Best Korea is.
I want to go wherever the wind blows, so yes, I suppose (probably never going to though).

Except Mexico. You tushie 'll get shot the hell up down there.
I'd totally visit if it weren't for the gangs though.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Best Korea.

It's pretty far down my list of places to visit, but I would be open to the possibility.
I partially only want to go because everyone else my age goes to Bali (nice tropical island with too many douchebags), so it'd be nice to go the complete opposite and blow their shitty "ohmahgawd i got saaahhhh drunk" stories out of the water.

#b-different-yolo
Yeah, you don't actually see NK, you see a specially built area of NK designed to make it not look like Airstrip One.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by bradulator
Be sure to bring lots of cake

BAHAHAHAHA! @new avatar w/this post

Well if you're Dennis Rodman, apparently its a great time.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
^That.

They take you around areas that are specifically made for tourists. You see a glamorous fake image of Korea and nothing of it's true self. Waste of money IMHO.
My friend works for the newspaper and she went there as part of her research for a special report. She said it was a very disconcerting experience. I wouldn't mind going but realistically I probably will never get the chance to.
cat
I know you don't see the people starving in the towns, but it's also the fact that you're supposed to believe that all their subway stations look like palaces, and that their supreme and eternal leader invented the writing desk. It would be interesting to see inside the regime.
Quote by Telecaster7
I partially only want to go because everyone else my age goes to Bali (nice tropical island with too many douchebags), so it'd be nice to go the complete opposite and blow their shitty "ohmahgawd i got saaahhhh drunk" stories out of the water.

#b-different-yolo

I think you should go to Bali now because if you go when you're old it's less acceptable to be a douchebag. After 22 non-douchebags (like my parents) go for the cultural aspect but if you don't care about that part and just want to get munted on the beach every day you should go now and no one will care, because it's what everyone does when they're young.
cat
I would probably end up being disappeared into a concentration camp for criticizing the Dear Leader.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Quote by MAC2322
I would probably end up being disappeared into a concentration camp for criticizing the Dear Leader.

no i promise
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by guitarxo
I think you should go to Bali now because if you go when you're old it's less acceptable to be a douchebag. After 22 non-douchebags (like my parents) go for the cultural aspect but if you don't care about that part and just want to get munted on the beach every day you should go now and no one will care, because it's what everyone does when they're young.

I've already been to Bali, didn't really do it for me. I've been to Vietnam, and I liked that better because it had some serious history to it (there's an old temple site that is over 1500 years old, but inside it are bombs from the war, and apparently the jungle around it is still full of mines). I seem to have aged so quickly that even though I'm only 19, I don't want to be a munted beach-douchebag anymore
Quote by Telecaster7
I've already been to Bali, didn't really do it for me. I've been to Vietnam, and I liked that better because it had some serious history to it (there's an old temple site that is over 1500 years old, but inside it are bombs from the war, and apparently the jungle around it is still full of mines). I seem to have aged so quickly that even though I'm only 19, I don't want to be a munted beach-douchebag anymore

Oh okay, fair enough Have you been to Laos? I haven't but my dad's friend's girlfriend is Lao and she has some really messed up but fascinating stories about her life there as a child - if you're into history that might be something you'd be interested in, and it's not nearly as commercialized as the neighboring countries so you apparently still feel like you're discovering something for yourself. A few of my friends went there last week during our semester break and they basically disappeared off the face of the earth. They actually could have died and we never would've known haha
cat
Quote by bradulator
no i promise

OMG HEARTY LULZ
Quote by guitarxo
Oh okay, fair enough Have you been to Laos? I haven't but my dad's friend's girlfriend is Lao and she has some really messed up but fascinating stories about her life there as a child - if you're into history that might be something you'd be interested in, and it's not nearly as commercialized as the neighboring countries so you apparently still feel like you're discovering something for yourself. A few of my friends went there last week during our semester break and they basically disappeared off the face of the earth. They actually could have died and we never would've known haha

Yeah, there's a huge list of places I want to go to. If I were made of money...
So basically they treat you like royalty. Who wouldn't want that treatment? Noone wants to see shacks. If you want to see crushing poverty, go to Detroit.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by TunerAddict
So basically they treat you like royalty. Who wouldn't want that treatment? Noone wants to see shacks. If you want to see crushing poverty, go to Detroit.

Except that they don't. They watch your every step as soon as you come close to the border, nobody will tell you anything else than how great North Korea is and you will learn nothing.
Quote by The_Casinator
Except that they don't. They watch your every step as soon as you come close to the border, nobody will tell you anything else than how great North Korea is and you will learn nothing.

So you get to live in a fake reality. That sounds like entertainment to me.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by The_Casinator

Wrong, you will learn what it feels like to be in the Truman Show....but kinda knowing it's going on. So you sort of play an extra.
Guys, what if North Korea is just a big conspiracy? Maybe it's a whole different place, and it's only the biggest prank ever?

And the Korean people sits at home every night laughing at us on their tv's.

But what about all the Amurrrican bros sitting at home after seeing all their bros dying in Korea?

Yeah, you feel bad now, don't you?

but yeah we made south korea thrive. democratic capitalism bitch!

Oh yeah and Dennis Rodman and shit. Him and Kim Jung Un partied it up.
Last edited by snipelfritz at Mar 4, 2013,
I've considered it too. I've seen plenty of guided tour videos on Youtube to know that you're probably not going to be sent to the gulags for mentioning "democracy", but their government minders are kind of intrusive and you can get in trouble for not respecting their customs. Just bow at every Kim Jong-Il statue and you should be fine!
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Quote by travislausch
I've considered it too. I've seen plenty of guided tour videos on Youtube to know that you're probably not going to be sent to the gulags for mentioning "democracy", but their government minders are kind of intrusive and you can get in trouble for not respecting their customs. Just bow at every Kim Jong-Il statue and you should be fine!

There's a thing that some of the documentaries recommend where you have a Korean suit made and buy a big old wreath and take it to the statues of the Kims and give the biggest and most referential bow you can muster. They say that if you do that, the guides will be a bit more friendly and might take you to some places that fewer tours go to (still not gulags, no one expects to go there)
Quote by Telecaster7
There's a thing that some of the documentaries recommend where you have a Korean suit made and buy a big old wreath and take it to the statues of the Kims and give the biggest and most referential bow you can muster. They say that if you do that, the guides will be a bit more friendly and might take you to some places that fewer tours go to (still not gulags, no one expects to go there)

Maybe they'll let you even bang the Tea lady
When a travel guide for a country has a section that reads like this:

WARNING: Under no circumstances whatsoever are you to say something that could be perceived as an insult to Kim Il-sung, Kim Jong-Il, Kim Jong-Un, the Juche ideology, the Songun policy, the ruling Worker's Party of Korea, or the entire North Korean government in general, and the citizens. Simply avoid these topics if you can. Keep in mind that anyone can be an undercover government agent or a minder. Respond accordingly when this subject is at hand, always keep in mind you might be tested and pushed into admitting your real feelings on these subjects, whatever they may be. You and your guide are likely to face serious trouble but your guide will bear the worst. "In trouble" does not mean a slap on the wrist. North Korea is known for extremely harsh punishments which range (for the guides) from lengthy prison sentences to a lifetime of severe mistreatment, hard labour, or even torture by intelligence officers, while you are likely to be sentenced to a stay in a local prison or labour camp, deported, and banned from re-entering. Assume that you will be under surveillance at all times during your trip, and that your hotel room will be bugged.

Then I'd rather stay at home, thanks.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Page 1 of 2