Would changing your tuning of your guitar often mess anything up because of the tension?

My guitar was originally in standard tuning, but I leave it dropped a whole step down. Would changing tunings (D Standard - > Open D/G - > E Standard) screw with my guitar in any way?

Also I worry my strings would break because they have gotten a little rusty and changing tunings would increase the tension of the strings and break.
Playing guitar since 2010

Quote by theogonia777
well said

that galalayo nigga would have been all like

bitch ain't no way they'll ever have telescopes that can see pluto

but we have telescopes that can see pluto so fuck that guy
It shouldn't be too big a worry. Coming from way back when during the "folk revival" period, lots of guys did lots of re-tunings because if you didn't have some sort of odd-tuning song in your trick-bag you weren't cool.
When Ravi Shankar appeared on the scene, everybody had to do some sort of vaguely Raga-esque tune which would not only require odd tunings but re-tuning and tweaking the tuners during the song.
Didn't see a lot of string breakage during all this....

I would recommend... First, keep new strings on your guitar.
Second, make sure the nut-slots on your guitar are properly sized and perhaps even lubricate 'em a bit with some graphite. If you're getting that little "ping" noise while you're tuning then the strings are binding (and then releasing) in the slot.
You don't want that.
As far as neck tension goes, I wouldn't worry about it unless you start getting symptoms... String buzz or whatever.
Ok thanks for the tips and the story! I haven't changed my strings for 5-6 months and I know I should, I just need to buy some strings first. I also have another question

I'm learning Payphone by Sungha Jung and it's in Open D. My guitar is currently tuned a whole step down. Should I tune my guitar to open C and just put a capo? (I need a capo since the song will already be pretty low since the original is in open D with a capo on 2, which would need me to put a capo on 4)
Playing guitar since 2010

Quote by theogonia777
well said

that galalayo nigga would have been all like

bitch ain't no way they'll ever have telescopes that can see pluto

but we have telescopes that can see pluto so fuck that guy