Page 1 of 2
Often cited when talking about amps etc. I'm sure everyone plays at different volumes in their bedrooms. Would "bedroom levels" be about as loud as you not having to use earplugs? Maybe the loudness level you would crank up to when listening to your music on a home theater stereo system?
Depends on the room construction. Any level that would not disturb a person in an adjacent room.

Think watching the news on TV.
Unfortunately there's no consensus at all as to what bedroom volume means. It's only marginally useful because of that. TV volume is often cited as another measure and is usually implied to be lower than bedroom volume.

To me, I'd agree that it would be about the same as a fairly loud stereo system, like if you had an action movie on with the "full-effect" surround sound volume. But I've heard anything from 'speaking volume' to 'my Fender Twin on 6' which to me is damn loud, certainly more than I would think most people could get away with in a bedroom with apartments or neighbors nearby.
Loud enough for you to be like "HELLSYEAH" and your neighbors have no idea what demonic things are going on nextdoor. Beyond that you have un happy neighbors and bitchy police officers. They hate noise calls BTW.
The Rig of Joy:
Stiff Amplification Dirthead 20w
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
To me bedroom levels means same volume as speaking. Above and you get on shouting territory and how often do shout in your house? And speaking of shouting, if the person next room (or next door if you live in apartment) has to scream "turn the damn thing down" over the sound of your guitar, you can be sure you have gone beyond bedroom levels.

If you are alone and do not have neighbours nearby, who cares about bedroom volumes. Crank it all you want! Thats your bedroom volume then!

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Mar 4, 2013,
Bedroom levels = not loud enough to piss off the people you live with or next to. So just keep turning it up a bit till someone complains then turn it down a smidgen.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Ok, so I play above that then.

It's not all day though!
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

If the people on the other side of the wall can hear what you're playing, you're too loud. If they can hear that you're playing something, but you're not loud enough that they can tell what it is you're playing, it's fine. Alternativly, think of it this way: if there as a baby sleeping in the room above/below/next to you, would you be waking it up? If yes, turn your volume knob lower.

Nine times out of ten the sound of the strings themselves—in other words, an unplugged electric—is as loud as you want to be, unless you live by yourself in a detached house with sufficiently thick walls.

This is why I don't bother with a 'practice amp'. At a civilised volume the sound of you smacking the strings will drown out the amp itself, so why bother at all? Practise unplugged, or, if you really need to hear how you sound through an amp, work out a system whereby you can use headphones.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
This is why I don't bother with a 'practice amp'. At a civilised volume the sound of you smacking the strings will drown out the amp itself, so why bother at all? Practise unplugged, or, if you really need to hear how you sound through an amp, work out a system whereby you can use headphones.

I think that practising plugged in is such a valuable thing to do, I know loads of people who hardly ever play through their amp and they blow, even after 3 years you'd think that after numerous times of telling them that they need to mute certain strings when playing certain chords and to listen to themselves that they'd catch on, but no.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by MrFlibble

Nine times out of ten the sound of the strings themselves—in other words, an unplugged electric—is as loud as you want to be,

Piss off...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Mephaphil
I think that practising plugged in is such a valuable thing to do, I know loads of people who hardly ever play through their amp and they blow, even after 3 years you'd think that after numerous times of telling them that they need to mute certain strings when playing certain chords and to listen to themselves that they'd catch on, but no.

Completely agree.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
My usual bedroom volume is not too quiet, loud enough to feel it just a little vibrations.
I REALLY crank it when I play along to jamtracks or recordings, because screw it.

I love to play loud. Its the best, but for my protection, I only do so rarely.
Quote by Arby911
Piss off...

Try living in a flat where anybody one floor/wall away can hear your unplugged strings. Alternatively, try living in a flat where you can hear the ****er above/below/next door dicking about on their poorly-tuned Strat. Shit ain't fun for anybody.

Quote by Mephaphil
Then those people should get their hearing checked, because it's much easier to hear dodgy strings ringing out unplugged than it is when you're wailing through a Marshall with a fuzz box or what-have-you.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Try living in a flat where anybody one floor/wall away can hear your unplugged strings. Alternatively, try living in a flat where you can hear the ****er above/below/next door dicking about on their poorly-tuned Strat. Shit ain't fun for anybody.

What you need....is a new house!

Yeah, I understand noise and neighbors, but it appeared you were saying that unplugged was the optimal practice mode and I disagree. There are things that need to be practiced at some semblance of volume and others that don't.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
What you need....is a new house!

Yeah, I understand noise and neighbors, but it appeared you were saying that unplugged was the optimal practice mode and I disagree. There are things that need to be practiced at some semblance of volume and others that don't.

Hey everyone has different takes at BedRoom volumes. It all depends on where you live and what house or apartment you have.

I lived in apartments that had super thick floors and i could jam loud enough to have a conversation. Now im in a house so i can jam a bit louder but Im in a garage with brick walls and a Aluminum Door so the Door doesnt help me at all.

Its really trial and error with your neighbors. MrFlibble wasnt trying to be a dick. Its hard to grab a persons tone through words on a screen though.

Thats realy why it cracks me up to read these kids having 100watt halfstacks in apartments. Thats just stupid and waste of rig in my opinion. Hot Plate or no hotplate.
The Rig of Joy:
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Epiphone Prophecy
Last edited by bburritt1 at Mar 4, 2013,
Quote by bburritt1
Hey everyone has different takes at BedRoom volumes. It all depends on where you live and what house or apartment you have.

I lived in apartments that had super thick floors and i could jam loud enough to have a conversation. Now im in a house so i can jam a bit louder but Im in a garage with brick walls and a Aluminum Door so the Door doesnt help me at all.

Its really trial and error with your neighbors. MrFlibble wasnt trying to be a dick. Its hard to grab a persons tone through words on a screen though.

Thats realy why it cracks me up to read these kids having 100watt halfstacks in apartments. Thats just stupid and waste of rig in my opinion. Hot Plate or no hotplate.

Flibble and I have history, so no worries.

100W halfstacks have volume knobs.
Charles Darwin
85-90 DB for me, Right next to the speaker.

normally like 80 db or under, in room.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by Arby911
Flibble and I have history, so no worries.

100W halfstacks have volume knobs.

NO! You sir are wrong!!!!!

Kiddin. Tried a BV120H in my old apt and WOW how fast i heard those thumps beneath my floor and it wasnt even on two yet

I miss that amp. I had so much history with that thing
The Rig of Joy:
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Epiphone Prophecy
Quote by Gundamnitpete
85-90 DB for me, Right next to the speaker.

normally like 80 db or under, in room.

ENGLISH NOT NUMBERS FOO!
The Rig of Joy:
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Epiphone Prophecy
Quote by bburritt1
NO! You sir are wrong!!!!!

stop it!

i haven't seen him do that in more than a week, i am trying not to remind of that habit.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
stop it!

i haven't seen him do that in more than a week, i am trying not to remind of that habit.

Oh sorry didnt realize that he did that. Im new here. Dont know the habits....it might be contagious or we might be distant cousins.......
The Rig of Joy:
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Epiphone Prophecy
Quote by bburritt1
ENGLISH NOT NUMBERS FOO!

lol, just buy a freakin DB ap.

Not only will it tell you how loud you are, it'll tell you how loud your cranky neighbor's crappy parties are.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by Gundamnitpete
lol, just buy a freakin DB ap.

no helping the helpless.
Quote by bburritt1
Oh sorry didnt realize that he did that. Im new here. Dont know the habits....it might be contagious or we might be distant cousins.......

he did that a lot. every post i saw of his started with some version of "you are wrong" and then would include some arbitrary reasoning as to why he prefers to look at it his way. it usually wasn't even pertinent.

i thought you were poking fun at that.

-ae
Apparently I'm so in tune with the attitude on this forum, that even when I take a year long break from posting, my first post is sarcastic as hell and ironically pokes fun at someone else.

No wonder no one likes me at work.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
depends on each individual situation, really
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
depends on each individual situation, really

Nah they all think I'm a dick.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Apparently I'm so in tune with the attitude on this forum, that even when I take a year long break from posting, my first post is sarcastic as hell and ironically pokes fun at someone else.

Welcome back to the party!

Never thought to look for that as an app. But it really doesnt surprise me they have one. I will have to get this! Thanks for this little bit of info!
The Rig of Joy:
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Epiphone Prophecy
Quote by gumbilicious
no helping the helpless.

he did that a lot. every post i saw of his started with some version of "you are wrong" and then would include some arbitrary reasoning as to why he prefers to look at it his way. it usually wasn't even pertinent.

i thought you were poking fun at that.

Gotcha. I do this to alot of customers at work. Always a good way to show that your not just an average guy just wanting to make money off them but that your actually listening.

Dont know everything and dont want to. But what i do know i will voice my opinion and thats why i love this forum. I just like helping people out. Even if its not much or if they dont listen. It doesnt matter.

Now back to the thread topic. Someone mentioned the tubes looked HUGE! Well there regular sized 6L6 tubes (Contrary to the oversized one's ) in a really small amp. Think duet of those in a dark terror.....cramped right.....yep. Alot of Glass for a small amp. And thats why i love it!
The Rig of Joy:
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Epiphone Prophecy
Quote by Gundamnitpete

No wonder no one likes me at work.

i thought it was a valid point. to discuss loudness/volume and ignore the dB scale is pretty self defeating.

-ae
If you're afraid to be too loud, have an amp/modelling software with headphone capabilities. Sounds simple enough to me.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
If you're afraid to be too loud, have an amp/modelling software with headphone capabilities. Sounds simple enough to me.

too simple, can we get a solution with a dummy load attenuator or a isolation box?

i hate the way headphones feel.

-ae
Quote by Gundamnitpete
Nah they all think I'm a dick.

hahahaha

my post was just in relation to the original post
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by gumbilicious
too simple, can we get a solution with a dummy load attenuator or a isolation box?

i hate the way headphones feel.

So do I, but I find elegance in simplicity.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack

Well put sir
The Rig of Joy:
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Epiphone Prophecy
Quote by Dave_Mc
hahahaha

my post was just in relation to the original post

Now back to your regularly scheduled "Ermahgerd NAD" GGA
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by LaidBack

that sounds like good advice but it's not for me. i am gonna pull two power tubes, run an attenuator and run the amp into an isolation cab instead. i really like to cook the power tubes.

thx for the advice

now what was this thread about? how loud is too loud? it's subjective and situational.

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
that sounds like good advice but it's not for me. i am gonna pull two power tubes, run an attenuator and run the amp into an isolation cab instead. i really like to cook the power tubes.

thx for the advice

now what was this thread about? how loud is too loud? it's subjective and situational.

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
hey...

O.o

what's that for?

-ae
it's an attenuator.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
just wait until your wife isnt at home and blast that shit son.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Page 1 of 2