Hey all,

Hoping to get a bit more info on this brand through here. From what I've gathered, they're a Japanese company that does strat/tele/LP/etc copies, but that's about it.

Reason I ask, is because aside from another recent thread of mine about an upcoming guitar purchase I plan to make, I'm also looking to pretty much refresh the entire guitar selection of my rig, through selling or trading. One of those guitars is a Gibson explorer ('76 reissue). One person who inquired about it has a Tokai Love Rock they might want to trade.

My first assumption is that the Gibson is worth a lot more money/has better resale value, but perhaps I'm wrong? I know some Japanese-made guitars can be highly desirable/valuable, so that's what I'm trying to figure out here. Are they more along the lines of something like Epiphone? or are they on the same level as something like a real-deal ESP?

Thanks!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Depends entirely on the model and year.

They were one of the Japanese brands that produced high quality Les Paul-copies in the 70's and 80's which today are highly sought after collector's items and believed by many to be superior to the orginal Gibson Les Paul's of that era.

Today, Tokai produces everything from entry-level instruments in China to ultra-high-end Les Paul-replicas in Japan. The model name is based on the price in yen, which means that a Tokai Love Rock 150 will cost 150,000 yen. These change every year, so it is impossible to get an overview without knowing the year and have the catalogue to get the listed specs of a guitar.

Tokai Gakki has been building part of the line for Fender Japan since 1997 (before that, by Fujigen Gakki since 1982), guitars which are viewed in high regard - but not exported to the US or European markets, so as to not eat away sales of the Mexico or US produced Fenders - which are made in factories owned by Fender Musical Instruments Corporation, or FMIC.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Last edited by HomerSGR at Mar 4, 2013,
any of the japanese ones i've tried have been nice guitars. whether the cheaper ones are just as nice as a "real" ESP, i dunno. it's hard to compare as they're so different guitars.

as you said, though, the gibson has the "right" name on the headstock. which means it's worth more s/h, regardless of whether it's a better guitar or not.

Depends on which model of tokai you're looking at, of course, but i'd want cash to sweeten the deal unless it's a really high-end tokai.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok, bringing this thread back since I found out some more info on that love rock. It's a NALS 45 model, Korean made. I'm guessing value-wise, this puts it into a similar price bracket as Epiphone LP's or upper-end (3000 series and up) Agiles? It's definitely not sounding like a "trade straight across" deal so far, and I've had too many people try to offer stuff like Epiphones without any cash on top, so I'm just trying not to get burned $-wise, since it seems harder to find info on Tokai LPs.

Some MIJ models I've seen on Ebay (usually going for decent amounts of cash) look very nice/well built,but that's about the extent of what I've found out on them so far.
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

the korean tokai love rocks sell for around $400 on the used market to give you an idea of outright value.

the japanese made models from 1978 through about 1985 go for big bucks for very good reason.

yeah don't swap a gibbo for an MIK tokai. LOL.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by shenjun39971887
why not go for FGN , made in Japan with nice quality .
Never heard of them, but maybe I'll have to remember the name. This thread was mainly about a guitar I was offered as a trade.

Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah don't swap a gibbo for an MIK tokai. LOL.
You'd be amazed at how many times I've been offered stuff worth half or slightly more than half of what a Gibby goes for s/h as a straight up trade. It honestly blows my mind sometimes!

Quote by gregs1020
the korean tokai love rocks sell for around $400 on the used market to give you an idea of outright value.

the japanese made models from 1978 through about 1985 go for big bucks for very good reason.
And this definitely answers what I need to know here, thank you much!
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

Last edited by FlightofIcarus at Mar 15, 2013,
Quote by FlightofIcarus

You'd be amazed at how many times I've been offered stuff worth half or slightly more than half of what a Gibby goes for s/h as a straight up trade. It honestly blows my mind sometimes!

yeah some people are complete dicks. Trying to get a deal is one thing... I'd argue doing that is more akin to a con (in my opinion). At best it's very much chancing your arm.

I wonder if anyone actually ever falls for it? on the one hand you could argue that if no-one fell for it, they wouldn't do it... but on the other they might well figure it's a shot to nothing...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?