Seriously considering buying this beauty of an amp.

Read tons of reviews, vids, have only to play it, and I plan to make the trip right after march break.

Anyone have any personal experiance with this amp? Any problems?

Thanks!
I played around with one at a GC once, for what it is its pretty cool, i didn't plug an od into it or anything but it sounded nice.

only thing is, you are really limited to what you wanna use it for, theres a volume control and a tremelo control. so if you just want it for dicking around at home then thats fine, but realistically it's pretty useless for any actual work, but thats just what i think
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
never played one but as gerraguitar says, the lack of any controls is unnerving to me.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
if you get one that doesn't rattle like a mofo, it's very, very nice (assuming you like vintage-style amps)- takes pedals well, nice deep and unique (but not too unique, it's still useful) tone, nice tube tremolo, looks cool.

problem is, if you do a search online, your odds of getting one that does rattle are fairly high. Some people get lucky and a tube swap cures the rattle, but not everyone does.

if you can try the one you're buying, it might be worth it- you can see if it rattles. It does have to be pretty loud to rattle, though. For some reason a D chord seems to make it rattle more, too.

it does have a few slight negatives aside from the rattle- having the tremolo footswitchable would be better, and having a tone knob instead of a switch would be, too. the stock speaker is pretty low efficiency, too, which is a bonus if you're playing at home and trying to keep the volume down, but a negative if you're trying to gig with it- in that case you'd probably want to budget for swapping the speaker for a more efficient example.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 4, 2013,
Tone controls are overrated.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I wouldn't buy it. I think it's ugly as sin, sounds entirely too compressed, and is entirely too overpriced for being made in China.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Well lets just say if I had the cash the surf green one would be mine in a heartbeat
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
With a EQ pedal, which you should have anyway, it's a pretty nice amp.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I have one.

I was lucky to get one that doesn't rattle. It's a cool little amp but it's not very versatile. Great for a retro kind of rock/blues sound when you crank it up. Cleans up well when you roll the volume knob back. It also has something that replicates tube sag from a rectifier.

Things to keep in mind:

It starts breaking up pretty early (with humbuckers I get breakup about half way up the volume knob dial.) so if you need a loud clean tone (gigging etc...) you probably will be disappointed.

The EQ is just a bright/dark switch. Some people don't like the settings because they're quite extreme (bright setting is pretty shrill and dark setting is very, very bassy) a common mod is to replace it with a tone knob to open up the amp a bit. Personally, I like the settings on the switch so I won't be doing that mod

The speakers aren't very efficient so it's more quiet then it should be.

The tremolo isn't very strong nor is it very loud. You'll drown it out if you're cranked up loud.

To me, it's a very one dimensional amp but if you have a nice pedal-board (I like the dark setting for using ODs) and you get one that doesn't rattle, it's not a bad little amp. Especially for the price.

I really like it but I only play classic rock now so it's lack of versatility works a bit more in my favor. I would look into a blues junior if you need something a little more functional.

Anyway I have a few clips of mine if you want:

Cranked

pedal tone

I get the clean sound by rolling back the volume knobs.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Cathbard
Tone controls are overrated.

i'd agree up to a point- it's more the fact that the bright setting is too bright while the dark setting is too dark. with more sensible values for the two settings, i'd agree, you wouldn't need a tone knob.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'd agree up to a point- it's more the fact that the bright setting is too bright while the dark setting is too dark. with more sensible values for the two settings, i'd agree, you wouldn't need a tone knob.

Well to be fair, the settings aren't too horrible with humbuckers. With single coils, I'd imagine this amp wouldn't sound too hot
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
yeah i normally used single coils with it i think.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Well to be fair, the settings aren't too horrible with humbuckers. With single coils, I'd imagine this amp wouldn't sound too hot

I'm using a strat with mine, and most of the time I can use the guitar's tone knob to roll back on the brightness. Or my Big Muff. I use my Big Muff with it a lot so that overpowers most of the amp's tone. But when I play clean I'm bright setting, neck pickup and tuning down the tone knob.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
I'm using a strat with mine, and most of the time I can use the guitar's tone knob to roll back on the brightness. Or my Big Muff. I use my Big Muff with it a lot so that overpowers most of the amp's tone. But when I play clean I'm bright setting, neck pickup and tuning down the tone knob.

That's cool man, I'd like to try mine with a fuzz one day. I like the bright setting for cleans too but I've got buckers. I usually dab a bit of tremolo and use my middle position out of phase for a bit of jangle.

Cranked up I like the bright setting a little more. Has a bit more grind to the sound.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by cdr_salamander
I wouldn't buy it. I think it's ugly as sin, sounds entirely too compressed, and is entirely too overpriced for being made in China.

It's $300... I've seen Chinese made tube amps go for $1000. Not everything made in china are terrible, you know.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

It's great for what it is. I will say that with extreme amounts of dirt at high (probably 2/3's of the way up) volume, mine got really muddy and undefined. Since I like lots of dirt, I picked up a Blues Junior. Now I'm debating running a stereo setup with my dirt going into the Blues Junior and the Excelsior cranked... I have yet to try it, because I haven't had the house empty for a while.

...it's empty right now. Hmmmm.