Hey everyone,

So, I have a BC Rich Warlock...which isn't the issue. Or maybe it is.

Anyways, my wife just did a really nice custom paint job on it to get rid of the uber-corny graphic that came on it. It was embarrassing. Now it isn't. Problem fixed. Well, at least the look of it. I like the shape.

I have put the guitar down for about a year and half because of work and the CPA exam, but I find that the guitar is a much better way to use free time than TV or videos games or whatever else. Anyways, before the paint job (removing hardware and everything else) and after the guitar is having problems with staying distorted on the amp. I did not cut any wires during the painting. I simply stood the pickups in their settings and painted around them. No wire were cut or tampered with. I didn't want the headache. I plug in the cable into the jack it'll stay distorted as long as I am playing hard power chords using the low E string, but as soon as I start playing individual notes on higher string it goes to a clean sound or no sound.

It's not the amp and it's not the cable. I have used multiple cables on it and it still happens and I used another guitar of mine with the same cables and amp and it plays just fine.

So, process of elimination it is the guitar. I have opened it up and checked the connections and they all seem to tight and in place. I removed the jack and bent the metal tab connection that touches the end of the cable tighter to it, but that didn't help.

Could it be my pickups? It doesn't make sense to me that I can plug it in and it be fine for about 10 seconds before it start losing distortion or when I play power chord on the low E that seems to pick it up.

Would appreciate any guidance or experience with it. Would also love to hear that it's my pickups so that I can get some new ones and have an excuse to!!!!!
Last edited by BlizzardCrowley at Mar 5, 2013,
Try raising the pickups on the high e side, but keep in mind that distortion is more present for chords and bassier notes..
Quote by progdude93
Try raising the pickups on the high e side, but keep in mind that distortion is more present for chords and bassier notes..

I gotcha. I'll try that out.

When I say less distortion, I mean completely clean to no sound at all no matter how high I have the volume turned up on the amp.

I do have the strings really close to the pickups. I'll play with the height of the bridge and see if that works.
I too have a warlock, and I've noticed that too, raising the pickups has helped a little, also, turn the guitar volume to the max, even if it means turning your amp down a touch.I think it may be a case of the cheap stock pickups in the guitar
Quote by plankboy
I too have a warlock, and I've noticed that too, raising the pickups has helped a little, also, turn the guitar volume to the max, even if it means turning your amp down a touch.I think it may be a case of the cheap stock pickups in the guitar

Wait...so...you're saying if I replaced the pickups with some Seymour Duncan's or EMG's that my issue would be resolved?! I just want to make sure.

I really want to justify buying new pick-ups other than the fact that I just want them because I know the one's I have are crap. But if they don't actually work, then I'll have to get new one's right?
Quote by BlizzardCrowley
Wait...so...you're saying if I replaced the pickups with some Seymour Duncan's or EMG's that my issue would be resolved?! I just want to make sure.

I really want to justify buying new pick-ups other than the fact that I just want them because I know the one's I have are crap. But if they don't actually work, then I'll have to get new one's right?

Possibly. It sounds like it would work, yes.
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Jackson Stars Kelly "Aiko"
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
EVH 5153
yeah, I'd say get new pickups.
if you love the guitars shape and feel, just get quality pups and it should be good to go.

Dimarzio D Activators or Emg 81/60 combo would be good. (I love those pickups, but that's just my opinion)

Good luck.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
yeah, I'd say get new pickups.
if you love the guitars shape and feel, just get quality pups and it should be good to go.

Dimarzio D Activators or Emg 81/60 combo would be good. (I love those pickups, but that's just my opinion)

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice man! I'll definitely look into those.

Woot! New toy for me!

I do love the guitar. Feels good to me and it was my first ever guitar so it has sentimental value and even more so since it now has a custom paint job. Maybe I'll post a pic of it on here later tonight when I go home.
I think you should post the paint job.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Mephaphil
I think you should post the paint job.

This. Pics or it didn't happen!
Don't post a new thread, we'll keep an eye on this one
Legion!
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
EVH 5153
Quote by jeleopard
Don't post a new thread, we'll keep an eye on this one

Cool. Will post in this one....still at work...12 hours now.

I am a tax accountant so it's a busy time of year for me
Quote by BlizzardCrowley
Cool. Will post in this one....still at work...12 hours now.

I am a tax accountant so it's a busy time of year for me

Haha, take your time dude
Legion!
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
EVH 5153
BTW, the green guitar in the background is going to get a make over soon as well.

I like the custom look of your own guitar. Takes about a week for all of the paint and clear coating and wax to set, but I think it's worth it.
Quote by BlizzardCrowley
BTW, the green guitar in the background is going to get a make over soon as well.

I like the custom look of your own guitar. Takes about a week for all of the paint and clear coating and wax to set, but I think it's worth it.

Very cool. One of the coolest designs I've seen on a guitar (and I don't normally like graphics on guitars). Hope you get it to work properly!