Hey guys I've noticed recently when i play plugged in that when i switch to my distortion channel that there is a horrible buzzing noise but if i touch anything such as the metal plate where i plug the jack in the buzzing noise dissapears completely. Was wondering if anyone knows the cause of this and how to fix it?
Cheers!
Definitely sounds like a grounding issue.

What type of guitar is it? and is it fixed bridge or tremolo?
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Okay. Cool looking guitar by the way.

The two places to check would be,
1 open the cover of the control cavity and look for any obvious broken connections. Usually all the ground wires will terminate at the volume pot. Trace those back to where they originate, and see if anything is broken or loose along the path. Especially have a look at your output jack connections. Sometimes the nut on the outside of the body comes loose and people just tighten the nut by hand, when they should be opening up the guitar and holding the backside of the jack as they tighten it. if you don't hold it in place, the jack can turn with the nut and can cause the wire to stretch and come loose.

2 take off the cover on the back for the tremolo springs. There should be a ground wire coming from the Trem Claw (the piece that attatches the springs to the body) that goes through to the control cavity.

Hope that helps.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09