Found a craigslist ad in my area for a Mesa Boogie 4x12 Slant for $350 OBO...

I'm assuming I should buy that shit like STAT?

Is there anything I should look out for? (other than the obvious giant gash in the amp)
...as below so above and beyond I imagine.
Thats a great deal.

Make sure it has the V30s. Bring an electric screw gun and remove the back panel. The jack housing is glued in so just pull the back off.

Otherwise try to test it, left and right channels separately at 4ohms. That way you can identify any sound differences suggesting blown speakers.

Check the casters as well.

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.

Anyway to tell the year/quality just by these pictures? I can tell it has a wee bit of battle scars but I'm a budget musician and this is a great opportunity either way!

Thanks for the advice bud! I'll be keeping my eye out for that.

Hopefully it still has V30's in it! :-)

(Would it be a good deal if it didn't? What would be a deal breaker?)
Last edited by ToolFan462 at Mar 4, 2013,
Looks legit.

Don't ever ask why its so cheap....

Ask why he is selling it.

EDIT- see the plugs? He either ran it in stereo or only ran one side at a time. Odd.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
Looks legit.

Don't ever ask why its so cheap....

Ask why he is selling it.

Yep, I plan to ask him that for sure!

Someone doesn't just simply sell a Mesa Boogie cab without some good reasoning behind it.

(Replying to your edit)

He might have plugged them in to keep himself or others from accidentally blowing them out with the wrong ohms! I would do that myself haha
Last edited by ToolFan462 at Mar 4, 2013,
By the way - if I were to run my amp into this one cab, would I set the ohms to 4 and plug it in stereo and be totally okay?

( I will NOT use two cabs. No point in doing so. )
What type of amp head do you have? Does it do stereo?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Let's just assume I'm using a Mesa Mark V that has stereo with minimum impedance of 4.

So would I just...

Set Mark V to 4 Ohms -----> Plug two cables into respective 4 Ohm slots on the amp---> plug both cables into the 4 Ohm slots on the cab

Is that safe? I tried to research this and everything goes on a tangent about having 2 cabs, which is totally unnecessary.

And would I want to run in 4 ohms or 8 ohms? I play a lot of Lamb of God. x)
For the stereo operation you described it would work.

Mark V does stereo?

4ohms for your operation for stereo. Mono you would pull the "in" plug and run your head at 8 ohms.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Mark V is NOT stereo....

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/MkV_100303.pdf

If you use both 4 ohm amplifier speaker outs then each cab should be 8ohms. They are parallel outputs on the Mark V.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Last edited by R45VT at Mar 4, 2013,
Oh okay, so I would just simply run the amp in 8ohms and plug it to the "in" 8ohms on the cab.

Cool, thanks!

Had no idea if it was stereo or not, was just trying to figure out what impedence I would use on an amp if I were to run ONE cab in stereo.
you would have the head output at 4 ohm if it had stereo, along with using each of the 4 ohm inputs on the cab.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Last edited by R45VT at Mar 4, 2013,
I say go for it!

But first, definitely make sure you test drive it before you take it off the lot, if you know what I mean

$350 is a ridiculously low price for a Mesa cab, especially since they are a grand brand new and generally go for an average of $600 used, depending on the condition, and the mindset of the seller.

If everything looks to be shipshape when you give it its test, then I'd hop on that like a kangaroo in Australia. Definitely a killer deal
My Main Gear/Rig!
Mesa Boogie Mark V
Jackson KVX10 King V (w/ JB/59 Humbucker Combo)
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer 30th Anniversay
ISP Decimator G String Model
I got the 212 for 500 a few months back, and I thought that was a great deal around here

They're great cabs. I use a 412 a fair bit in the studio.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by ToolFan462
Oh okay, so I would just simply run the amp in 8ohms and plug it to the "in" 8ohms on the cab.

yes. set the amp to 8 ohms and plug the amp into an 8 ohm input on the cabinet.

Quote by ToolFan462
Had no idea if it was stereo or not, was just trying to figure out what impedence I would use on an amp if I were to run ONE cab in stereo.

you could technically set the amp to 4 ohms and plug it into one of the 4 ohm inputs on the cab, but it'd only use two of the speakers in the cabinet. there is no point in doing that considering you can just run the amp at 8 ohms and use all of the speakers.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae