Im a shredder as i believe most of you are. I fell in love with my Ibanez RG with it's thin wizard neck and after a couple of years im noticing my technique causes me problems.
I arch my wrist for an added boost to my speed, and it pedals well, (im using my extensors) but im coming to terms with the fact that a fat neck and proper thumb placement can give me the same relaxed speed as I tempt carpal tunnel with the position im in now.

My thumb also free floats a lot and it kinda freaks me out. because my accuracy goes into a 50/50 state.

Im thinking of getting a fat neck.

Any suggestions?
go and try a bunch of guitars and see what you think? there's not really any substitute for trying the thing...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i like 'em fat 'n short. kinda like a peanut butter jar.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Experiment with strap length. A shorter strap stopped me from bending my wrist so much and practically eliminated flare ups of tendonitis that tends to plague me.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
There's a neck out there for everyone. You can't just generalize fat vs thin. IMO more often it's the actual curve of the neck rather than simply how thick it is that makes a lot of the difference, though given the choice I am more inclined to thicker necks. I have yet to find a neck that fits my hand better than my H-301. Even my EC-1000 which supposedly has the same profile doesn't feel nearly as good.

Thin != speed. No idea how or why that thought even occurred.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

Thin != speed. No idea how or why that thought even occurred.
Because back in the early 50s, Fender made an electric guitar called the Esquire, which had a "baseball bat neck", an inch thick at its thinnest point. People with small hands found it hard to get their thumb over the top while still fretting properly.
Then Gibson rocked up in the 60s with a much smaller neck on a drastically-redesigned Les Paul and it was found that a larger portion of people could comfortably play on this neck and even those with larger hands who had coped before could now reach a little further, allowing them to play notes without moving their hand as much.

Hence the idea was born that making a neck as thin as possible would result in the fastest, easiest playing.

The fact that anyone with moderately large hands will be crippled by playing on some paper-thin U or D neck seems to go over most peoples' heads.

Ultimately speed, precision, control and general good technique all come from comfort. Nobody can say what neck will be the most comfortable neck for somebody else. My hands get tired and hurt after playing just a few minutes on an Ibanez neck; I can play for hours on an ESP neck and I play even better on a Gibson 50s neck. But then hey, there are countless kids shredding right now in your local guitar store who adore those veneers Ibanez passes off as necks, while finding a Gibson or Fender neck utterly unplayable.

You just gotta go out there and try everything you can until you find the one that fits your hand best, then stick with that.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^ We must have the same hands.

Ibanez necks make me cramp up, but I'm working on my tolerance for them simply because they're my favorite brand. ESP necks feel orgasmic to me, but unfortunately as time has been going on I've lost more and more respect for them as a brand.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
^ We must have the same hands.

Ibanez necks make me cramp up, but I'm working on my tolerance for them simply because they're my favorite brand. ESP necks feel orgasmic to me, but unfortunately as time has been going on I've lost more and more respect for them as a brand.

Im with ya on the ESP front. I used to have one a Viper-301 and had forever. And as time went by i sold it. And ive never found one since that played near to it. But then again Ive always been more partial to strats. And i dig "V" neck profile which ESP doesnt even touch which is a bleeding shame!
The Rig of Joy:
Stiff Amplification Dirthead 20w
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
Coincidentally, my H-301 is the best feeling neck I've ever held. I swear it's a slightly different curve or maybe a little thicker than my EC. Something about those 301s maybe?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by MrFlibble
Because back in the early 50s, Fender made an electric guitar called the Esquire, which had a "baseball bat neck", an inch thick at its thinnest point. People with small hands found it hard to get their thumb over the top while still fretting properly.
Then Gibson rocked up in the 60s with a much smaller neck on a drastically-redesigned Les Paul and it was found that a larger portion of people could comfortably play on this neck and even those with larger hands who had coped before could now reach a little further, allowing them to play notes without moving their hand as much.

Hence the idea was born that making a neck as thin as possible would result in the fastest, easiest playing.
That's a hardcore assumption and generalization . I've got an archtop from 1890 that has a neck in the realm of modern Ibanezes in terms of thickness.

It's all preference man. A thin neck doesn't automatically make you a faster player, or make it easier to play fast. It makes for great marketing though

My preference is fatter V-shape necks, like early Fender electrics, that are finished rough like Gibson's Faded line. If you look at your hand it naturally forms a V-shape between your fingers and thumb and is the most natural, ergonomical shape for a guitar neck. Thin Ibanez necks hurt my hand, but not all thin necks do this. My favorite player (The V) has a thin U neck similar to a LTD EC-1000 and feels great!

EDIT: I play with my thumb hanging over the fretboard instead of planted in the center of the neck. The sharper slopes of a V lets my thumb slide down the side of the contour when I need the extra leverage for bends or need the extra reach for a stretched out run.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Mar 5, 2013,