I have decided to just go ahead and buy a used hellraiser as my next guitar as it is a great metal guitar with nice pickups. I have looked at both the model with a floyd rose and the model without. My question to those with knwoledge about floyd rose is which would be better for me? I play mastodon the most which is d standard, but also play SOAD in drop c and drop c# as well as standard tuning for iron maiden occasionally. I have heard that with a floyd rose tremolo you should only keep your guitar in one tuning and thats it. Please shed some light on this situation. Thanks.
1. Strap on some overalls
2. Arpeggio Seriousness
3. Lock Horns
4. Take a big fresh breath of air
5. Go Surfin'
6. Get high on fire
It would really just be easier to get the hardtail (non-FR) version if you're gonna change tunings a lot. Floyds are fun and great tools, but if you're gonna change tunings a lot, they're a HUGE pain in the ass.
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Jackson Stars Kelly "Aiko"
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
EVH 5153
Ok thanks for the advice. Yeah it seems that floyd roses are pretty difficult to deal with.
1. Strap on some overalls
2. Arpeggio Seriousness
3. Lock Horns
4. Take a big fresh breath of air
5. Go Surfin'
6. Get high on fire
If you're impatient and easily frustrated, yea.

If you have the patience of death, and you feel like you need a Floyd, go for it. But otherwise, it's just a PAIN in the ass.
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Jackson Stars Kelly "Aiko"
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
EVH 5153
floyds are easy to deal with if you understand their inherent limitations...

the single biggest limitation of a floyd is that it is very time consuming to change tunings. time consuming to the point that you may as well consider it a non-starter.

if you're planning on changing tunings more than occasionally (like a few times a year), do not get a floyd.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things...
i love floyds, they're the shiznit.
but changing strings, simple maintenance and shit is a complete pain in the ass so i avoid them and i have little to no patience with them. not good to be changing tunings frequently with
Fender | Peavey | Epiphone | Hohner | Ernie Ball | Planet Waves | Jim Dunlop | Marshall | Lee Oskar | Traynor | Suzuki | Jackson

Compulsive gear buyer
This thread is full of win.

TS, every time you change tunings on a Floyd, you have to unlock the bridge, rebalance the springs to the new spring tension, and maybe even need to re-adjust the action (which can destroy your trem if you don't release the string tension first).

Blocking the trem temporarily while changing the tuning can make rebalancing the tension easier, but it's still a PITA and takes a while.

Also, every time you detune, the strings sit differently under the string blocks, so you're more likely to break a string.

You probably should abstain from getting a Floyd-style trem until you can get one (or two if you gig seriously and need backups) for every tuning you play in.

Edit: Full of win except this: "but changing strings, simple maintenance and shit is a complete pain in the ass so i avoid them and i have little to no patience with them." because "floyds are easy to deal with if you understand their inherent limitations"
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Mar 4, 2013,
Some other things to consider:

How many guitars do you have now? You could leave another guitar in standard if you have more than one guitar.

Can you play the D Standard covers of Mastodon in Drop C to accommodate both that & SOAD? Surely you could pull it off; DGCFAD - CGCFAD.

If you got the guitar with the floyd you could leave the 6th & 5th string locking nut off so you could easily bounce between the D & C on the 6th string, you'll need to break the strings into that, the springs in the back will adjust to that as you leave it in those two tunings.

Personally I'd get it with the floating bridge if I didn't have a guitar with one already, starting out floyds are frustrating, but you learn how to manage its shortcomings with practice.
Regardless of Floyd or no Floyd, though it is definitely emphasized with a Floyd, you should really have one guitar for one tuning (leeway given if you're just dropping/raising your lowest string). In the case of an FR, you must stay in one tuning. If you're going to be changing, then you can easily rule the option out. If you want to use an FR and you play in multiple tunings, you need to get more guitars.

Floyds are not a pain in the ass to deal with at all, unless you're trying to change tunings all the time. Then there's just user error going on, because you're not supposed to change tunings with a Floyd.

The OFRII I have on my Kramer is truly a joy to restring. It's a shame they stopped making them.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 4, 2013,
Quote by Offworld92
Regardless of Floyd or no Floyd, though it is definitely emphasized with a Floyd, you should really have one guitar for one tuning (leeway given if you're just dropping/raising your lowest string). In the case of an FR, you must stay in one tuning. If you're going to be changing, then you can easily rule the option out. If you want to use an FR and you play in multiple tunings, you need to get more guitars.

Floyds are not a pain in the ass to deal with at all, unless you're trying to change tunings all the time. Then there's just user error going on, because you're not supposed to change tunings with a Floyd.

The OFRII I have on my Kramer is truly a joy to restring. It's a shame they stopped making them.

/THREAD
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
Yep, huge swings in tuning warrants a NGD post in the near future Whatever strings you use for standard tuning will most likely feel like spaghetti when you drop down to D standard or drop C.

If you already have a fixed bridge guitar, use heavier strings and use it for your drop C or drop C#. And then use a new guitar with a floyd for standard
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
i keep my main guitar (rg550 with edge trem) in c standard for the vast majority of the time. changing strings isnt that hard.

if i want to change tuning, i'll just pay a tech 60 bucks. i'd rather pay the money than deal with the frustration of setup and potentially doing it incorrectly and damaging something
1997 Ibanez RG550 w/ EMG 81 bridge - C standard
PEAVEY 6505
Mesa Rectifier slant 4x12
Quote by Offworld92

+1. One guitar, one tuning. Not just because of the tuning stability issue but also because of intonation, action and neck relief. Plus you're more likely to break strings if you're tuning all the time. It's a lot easier to get more guitars than to waste your time messing about with tuning all the time. That is speaking from experience.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."