So I've not been at the top of my game musically today and, of course, I had piano class today. We started learning Moonlight Sonata at my request and I could NOT keep up. The reason for this, I realized, was because I kept finding myself lost. Like I couldn't keep up with what measure/arpeggio I was on. I totally embarrassed myself. I'm no expert at sight-reading, but I can usually at least remember where I am and this was plain awful.

Long story short:
Tips for not getting lost while reading music.
Maybe count measures if that helps you?

Otherwise, you should try to look at the keyboard as little as possible.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
I mean for the most part the song is just eighth notes (the right hand at least) so it may just be looking at endless sea of eighth notes that confuses me.
Quote by gunsnroses#1
I mean for the most part the song is just eighth notes (the right hand at least) so it may just be looking at endless sea of eighth notes that confuses me.
Well then, you probably don't need to subdivide. You should definitely count beats though. This will help you keep track of measures.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
I would count beats, but even more so, I would count them out loud as you play. Before you play, clap the beats of the notes as you say the rhythm.

eg. for a measure in 4/4 if the notes were quarter, 1/8, 1/8, half you would do the following

count out loud: 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and
clap on beats: 1, 2, 2 and, 3

Does that make sense? You feel mega special when you do this, but my piano teachers always made me do this and it helped so much and still does now (12 years later)

Edit: also knowing what freaking notes you're playing helps. When learning something new you get lost all the time. As you remember the notes, it'll be easier to know where you are, but when trying to find notes, you'll get lost constantly. It's hard to remember where you were in the song and keep beat when you've spent the last 5 minutes trying to figure out how to finger a EbMaj7b5add11
Last edited by a0kalittlema0n at Mar 5, 2013,
Yeah losing your place in music (especially score based music) is a common issue. Try loading up recordings of pieces you get lost in in random places, and try to figure out (by ear) which bar you're on. Might take several bars initially, but it will help you ear training and certainly your knowledge of the piece!
Quote by gunsnroses#1
So I've not been at the top of my game musically today and, of course, I had piano class today. We started learning Moonlight Sonata at my request and I could NOT keep up. The reason for this, I realized, was because I kept finding myself lost. Like I couldn't keep up with what measure/arpeggio I was on. I totally embarrassed myself. I'm no expert at sight-reading, but I can usually at least remember where I am and this was plain awful.

Long story short:
Tips for not getting lost while reading music.

Don't be embarrassed if it's a piano lesson, it's not a concert. The teacher is there for you and if something feels hard, you should tell it to the teacher. The purpose of a teacher is to teach you so that you learn to play the song well. Don't be afraid of mistakes because you learn from them. And if you played the song perfectly for the first time, what would be the point of a teacher? Play the song slower first. If you are not familiar with all that happens in the song, it might be hard to play it at full speed.

My point is, don't be afraid of mistakes, especially in front of your teacher. Because if you don't show what's difficult for you, the teacher can't teach you the right things. The teacher can fix your mistakes only if you make them.

You just need more practice. Play the song slower first and then speed up when you can play it in slower tempo.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Mar 5, 2013,
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm now making some progress in the song and it is definitely helping me sight read notes.