I recently purchased a LTD MH100qm which has a floyd rose special. I set it up for D standard with ErnieBall Power Slinkies (11-48), and it works well, it keeps in tune very well.
However, the floyd feels really stiff, I have to put a lot of pressure on the bar for a divebomb, and its really hard for it to flutter. I've already put chapstick on the knife edges.

I have 4 springs in the back, Arranged like so: treble side> | ||| <bass side.

So I took a spring out and tightened the screws all the way in, but the trem is still sticking up.
Is there any special spring configuration I should use for 3 springs, or am I stuck with 4 springs and a stiff trem?

I've used that for D just fine.

I've also used:

Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Jackson Stars Kelly "Aiko"
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
EVH 5153
Reset up the whole trem. You honestly shouldn't need 4 springs, I don't think.

Take off the strings, screw the trem claw far out, then put new strings on and adjust it until it's level again.

Other than that, you may just have to use lighter strings. I use 11s for D std myself as well, but it's not very common for electric guitar - most people go lighter.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Reset up the whole trem. You honestly shouldn't need 4 springs, I don't think.

Take off the strings, screw the trem claw far out, then put new strings on and adjust it until it's level again.

Other than that, you may just have to use lighter strings. I use 11s for D std myself as well, but it's not very common for electric guitar - most people go lighter.

i have put 5 springs on most of my trem guitars . i don't have that heavy of strings on (11's in E std), but my strat needed it and my 1550 RG, and my wolfgang. i find it pretty common.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have three in a guitar with 11-49 strings tuned to D. I don't think 3 would cut it if it were tuned up to E. Maybe if I used shorter heavier springs like the Gotohs that come with their Floyd style trem.
Sometimes if the action/bridge is set really low, like at the bottom of the range, it stiffens up or gets stuck a bit somehow, it should never be that low unless the neck needs a shim though. That scalloped neck looks sweet! Weird, D standard and 11s should be loose-ish

edit, that green one I'd change to 2 springs. they should be stretched a little more
Last edited by Tempoe at Mar 5, 2013,
Is the bridge leveled properly? I use skinny top heavy bottom strings for my HM Strat in D standard. They are 10-52, but the gbe strings feel a little too loose. I think I'll try out the beefy slinkies next time I restring it. I have a tremol-no installed, but before locking it, there was no issue using only 3 springs.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
11-48 in D is pretty heavy for a guitar with a Floyd Rose.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
11-48 in D is pretty heavy for a guitar with a Floyd Rose.

Uhhh no it isn't. 11-48 in D will give you close to the same tension as 10-46 in E standard. Actually it's probably less.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
Uhhh no it isn't. 11-48 in D will give you close to the same tension as 10-46 in E standard. Actually it's probably less.

Then can you explain how TS' problem even exists?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Maybe he needs different springs. 4 is too many, but the 3 he has aren't enough. Not to mention, different floyd rose trems will feel different than others. The Kahler spyder in my HM Strat has a much different feel, much more stiff, than the lopro edge and edge pros in my Ibanez guitars.

According to http://www.bangzero.org/stringtension/

E standard on 10s is actually more string tension than 11s in D standard.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Well in regards to the flutter, the specials don't do that so well in general i'm afraid. They're pretty good as cheaper trems go but don't expect them to be able to do crazy flutter like an OFR.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Don't have to explain it, he's right. 10-46 in E std. with a 25.5 scale length has #108.68 tension, 11-48 in D std. has #99.8, a good bit less.

I'd say it's an FR setup problem, since there's no reason extra springs would be required.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
So do you guys think I should just put the fourth spring back in and settle for the stiff trem? Because I couldn't imagine how how I could play with lighter strings, especially considering how loose the strings would be if I used a lighter gauge.

Thanks for bringing that pic of the ESP Alexi up, because it reminds me that Alexi also uses 11s in D, and obviously he doesn't have the same problem as I do. I even tried the spring setup in the pic, but the trem is still way up.

And btw, I heard the FR specials have the same steel baseplates as the OFRs, and the only difference is the zinc saddles and block, and since the pivot is at the baseplate/knife edges, shouldn't it feel and flutter like an OFR?
You could try different springs. Use 3 slightly stiffer ones than what you have, maybe you can find a sweet spot for both looser trem feel and being able to use heavier strings? The licensed floyd in my HM Strat never fluttered, even with 8s (back in my Yngwie days).
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
So, after thinking about it, I've concluded that the number of springs shouldn't affect how stiff/loose the trem feels, because the tension would always be the same since the pull from the strings is constant. This means if I were to take out a spring, the screws would have to go all the way in to equal the tension of the strings, while if I stayed with 4 springs, the screws wouldn't have to go very far in since there is an extra spring applying tension to the system.

I guess the only way to make the trem feel looser is to use lighter strings, as the tension would be less.
Last edited by MetalMeltd0wn at Mar 7, 2013,
Quote by MetalMeltd0wn
So, after thinking about it, I've concluded that the number of springs shouldn't affect how stiff/loose the trem feels, because the tension would always be the same since the pull from the strings is constant. This means if I were to take out a spring, the screws would have to go all the way in to equal the tension of the strings, while if I stayed with 4 springs, the screws wouldn't have to go very far in since there is an extra spring applying tension to the system.

I guess the only way to make the trem feel looser is to use lighter strings, as the tension would be less.

Not necessarily, as spring rates can make a difference but I'm not aware of any Mfr.'s that list the spring rates, so it's a 'test and hope' situation. Also note that how you hook the springs (straight or angled) affects the spring rate.

That being said, given that your current strings have less tension than a 10-46 set in E std. I still maintain that there's a setup problem somewhere.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Not necessarily, as spring rates can make a difference but I'm not aware of any Mfr.'s that list the spring rates, so it's a 'test and hope' situation. Also note that how you hook the springs (straight or angled) affects the spring rate.

That being said, given that your current strings have less tension than a 10-46 set in E std. I still maintain that there's a setup problem somewhere.

OK, so what should I look for to make sure the trem is setup properly?
In that case it's likely that what you're perceiving as stiff is just what the specials are like unfortunately. I have OFR trems on my two main guitars and can categorically say that the specials are definitely not as responsive. They are however basically a direct swap for an OFR so if you really can't live with how it feels and can afford to grab one then just swap it out.
If you want to go 3 springs instead of 4, but the claw screws bottom out before you can get it tight enough with the 3 springs, then you may need shorter screws.

If there's even a 1/4" of space between the top of the claw and the wood, then try shorter screws.

I had to do this to use STHB strings in drop D. My trem only has 3 holes in the block, so 4+ springs wasn't as good an option as shorter screws--why drill when 50 cents at the hardware store solves the issue?
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.