repeatedly. every four or five minutes.

its an Ampeg AX-70 its hybrid with a single 12AX7

the best info i could find was this: http://www.wurlitzer.com/products/ampeg-ax-70-1x12-hybrid-tube-guitar-amplifier

isn't much there, except for they identified it as a PREAMP tube.

since my volume is jumping i would think power section, which i am not sure if it is indeed preamp, or if its a PI.

any ideas?

it isn't microphonic. already tested for that.

i paid $30 for the amp, but it is one of my go to clean amps. the cleans and reverb are stellar.

if you think its the tube, what tube would you suggest? its not the brightest of amps and am thinking that a JJ could make it too dark. i will do swapping around a bit later.

but again the amps 23 years old.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Don't you have an extra tube you can pull that is known good? Any funny changes while turning any of the pots or banging on the map?

Tong-Sols are brighter than JJs. NOS might be your best bet.

Grab an known good and throw it in first before you go exploring.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
Don't you have an extra tube you can pull that is known good? Any funny changes while turning any of the pots or banging on the map?

Tong-Sols are brighter than JJs. NOS might be your best bet.

Grab an known good and throw it in first before you go exploring.

tried an extra tube. same thing. that is what i did first. then i put the existing one back in, made sure she was plugged in nice and tight, and started flicking the control panel knocking on vaius areas, pots are fine. i only have ever heard one channel. the guy didn't have the switch therefore i got him down to $30 instead of the $80 he was asking for is. the tube isn't bad.

i can't find a schematic. do you think ampeg would even have one online still? i guess i will have to try there. but what sucks is that you have to email them the request, than they require a response so that they are not legally bound if anything were to happen. it takes like two weeks. i had to do it for another ampeg before.

my main concern is if the amp is truley a preamp tube its not a SS section. if the listed it incorrectly and it may be power section, hence being a PI tube.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Does it matter where the tube is? Either position a failing tube can cause volume changes. (Or are you asking about where its locating the scheme of things so you can try to brighten it up? I may have missed that the first read...)

Sounds like you might have another project.

It build character right?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
Does it matter where the tube is? Either position a failing tube can cause volume changes. (Or are you asking about where its locating the scheme of things so you can try to brighten it up? I may have missed that the first read...)

Sounds like you might have another project.

It build character right?

no i am not concerned about the tone as is, it is actually a really nice sound clean amp (one i have few of).

its only a single tube. i was thinking that depending what the tubes 'job' is as such would probably be the first place to start looking.

yea i may have a new project. i haven't ever started the VL1002 yet because i am still unsure where "+vh" is to use on the opposite end of the ground. i got several little alligator clamps for my little cap draining rig. i agree with you and think it has sat so damn long it probably doesn't have any, but i need to get in the mindset that everything is hot until you know otherwise. i just never have time, and when i do it i want to be able to sit down without interruption for two or three hours. ( https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1589934&highlight=cap )

/OT

so what would you see if some SS component is failing? i haven't ever had an SS go down at all.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I would be looking for cracked solder joints, burned/overloaded components, as well as leaking capacitors. You can do a good visual without a schematic.

A few pictures are here
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1590946

Also for the capacitors- you are totally correct to assume they are charged until proven otherwise. Normally I pull the PCB and measure them, taking care not to come into contact with anything that conducts while removing the board.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Last edited by R45VT at Mar 5, 2013,
Quote by R45VT
I would be looking for cracked solder joints, burned/overloaded components, as well as leaking capacitors. You can do a good visual without a schematic.

A few pictures are here
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1590946

Also for the capacitors- you are totally correct to assume they are charged until proven otherwise. Normally I pull the PCB and measure them, taking care not to come into contact with anything that conducts while removing the board.

thanks for such a thorough work on that post. i definitely learned some things as well as sparked some old things i may not have been clear just being away from it for a while.

will just carefully pull the board and do it the other orientation.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!