Sup Pittites,

My band is battling in a battle of the bands this week. It's an annual thing that I've been to a few times before. The bands that have won in the past, on top of performing well, have either:

1. used a million effects pedals to make a weird incomprehensible noise,
2. done a dumb little dance, or
3. had some other meta-musical "gimmick", like getting the audience to join in dancing or claps or something.

My point is, it probably won't be enough to just play well. To win this thing, we're going to have to engage the audience with something "gimmicky".

I was thinking maybe record one of our songs live, then play it again sped up 10x. You have to be made of stone not to laugh at a sped up song.

Any other/better ideas? How do I win?

Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
Last edited by McTodd at Mar 5, 2013,
Quote by Johnny_Ibanez
You really want to get first place in this small dick competition?

First place wins cash money. So yes.
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
You should all just get a sex change operation and dress as the opposite sex.

I'd vote for you. Hell, I'd vote the hell out of you if did that.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
i think this drummer i know signed me up with him for some sort of battle of the bands thats supposed to happen in a couple of days :|

Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
You should all just get a sex change operation and dress as the opposite sex.

I'd vote for you. Hell, I'd vote the hell out of you if did that.

You do realize if you had a sex change operation then dressed as the opposite sex you'd be dressed as a male again. Just with a butchered pengina/vagis.
Quote by lessy_p
You do realize if you had a sex change operation then dressed as the opposite sex you'd be dressed as a male again. Just with a butchered pengina/vagis.

No, you got it.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by McTodd
To win this thing, we're going to have to engage the audience with something "gimmicky".

It is indeed somehow a little-known fact to a lot of musicians that most people who go to a concert want visual entertainment on top of musical entertainment.

It's not a gimmick to have some showmanship. What kind of thing to do would depend on what kind of music you do, really. Dancing like Michael Jackson would be weird for death metal, jumping and flying around like The Who would be weird for somber acoustic music. What kind of music is it?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Chase each other around like Slash and Gilby Clark. People loved that stuff when they did it.

Or lay on your back during a solo and pretend the guitar is your dick. You know what I mean?
ALso, while you're both here Ibanez and whywefight, who started using the Stoya thing first? I feel like one of you is blatantly ripping off the other, but IDK.

Actually I fell like I saw Johnny Ibanez with it first tho... whatever...
show them the D, blow up your drummer, do a guitar flip, wear some spandex,...just be creative

or you can actually play some decent songs and win that way
"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."
Your vocalist should turn up late and drunk then have a tantrum on stage, jump into the crowd, start a fight and then set himself on fire.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
Quote by McTodd
1. used a million effects pedals to make a weird incomprehensible noise

This is pretty much an open invitation to channel your inner Kevin Shields. What are you waiting for?!
Quote by ProgFripp74
Your vocalist should turn up late and drunk then have a tantrum on stage, jump into the crowd, start a fight and then set himself on fire.

TS's band isn't GnR, though.
Quote by sk8board3r
Cover 'Time Warp'. Seriously.

I see no problem with this.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
you know what i hate about some rock concerts? musicians that stand still. it drives me mad seeing a rock guitar \ bass player or vocalist that stands in the middle of the stage like a morning wood. its not that everyone has to move while playing, but if the music is right - move!

my first advice, before thinking of gimmicks - do not stand still. people do that. its not good.
but seriously, just communicate with the crowd, no further 'gimmicking' is needed in my opinion.
Quote by lt mittens
show them the D

I agree, just play some Tenacious D songs. I'd suggest Explosivo, or perhaps The Road.