Hey everyone, i am trying to setup my guitar for drop B (originally was going to do drop A# but the strings were too loose) and i'm getting a ridiculous amount of fret buzz, particularly on the 1-5th fret on the 4th 5th and 6th string but there is still constant fret buzzing throughout the guitar. I know how to adjust a truss rod and action and have been messing with it since yesterday but still can't seem to find a happy medium between playability and buzzlessness, i originally had 11-50 gauge strings on it set up for E standard, and i had adjusted both the action and the truss to the point where i had literally no buzzing and good playability. I am using 11-54 gauge strings at the moment and the tension at drop B seems to be nearly the same as it was in E std with the 11-50s. The only way i have found to get rid of the buzz completely is to raise the action stupidly high or completely loosen the truss rod. Setting the relief up to where i normally set it (slight gap between the 7th and 9th frets, a bit less than a medium picks thickness) doesn't seem to help. I also tuned it to drop C just to see if that would help but i still got buzz, (although not as severe) and i still had to loosen the truss rod a ridiculous amount.

I do no want to take it to a luthier, for several reasons, one, i can't afford it right now and two, the only luthier in town set my guitar up recently and i ended up having to make many adjustments when i brought it home in order to get rid of buzzing.
Last edited by antisun at Mar 5, 2013,
Sounds to me like you're just not used to being in low tunings. You could do with some thicker strings I think, if you're used to 11-50 in standard. You're probably going to want at least 12-56 for Drop B. When you loosen a string, it vibrates over a larger distance, this is the fret buzz you hear. You're used to a string having more tension and not moving as much when plucked.

As long as this buzzing isn't seriously affecting the sustain and isn't coming through your amp, you just need to learn to get used to it.
What kind of guitar? What kind of bridge?

bigger strings will help tension, but may not help fret buzz issues.
(signature removed, please choose another)
Quote by Lavatain
Sounds to me like you're just not used to being in low tunings. You could do with some thicker strings I think, if you're used to 11-50 in standard. You're probably going to want at least 12-56 for Drop B. When you loosen a string, it vibrates over a larger distance, this is the fret buzz you hear. You're used to a string having more tension and not moving as much when plucked.

As long as this buzzing isn't seriously affecting the sustain and isn't coming through your amp, you just need to learn to get used to it.

Yep. There is gonna bit a bit of buzz when you tune down. I used to use drop G# on my 6 haha. If you don't notice it through the amp you should be fine, though you should be able to get it to a minimum.
(signature removed, please choose another)
wait what... your action is like .8 of a mm... course you're going to get buzz! I'm using a floyd rose + ernie ball skinny top heavy bottoms in C# and I get no fret buzz, about 1mm action from the fret, 2 from the neck. but this is a kinda expensive guitar + really well set up, never had a problem with it in 2 years
I just ended up putting 13-65's on it and that solved the problem, at Tom, no, that isn't the issue, my relief is correct, yes, the truss is completely loosened but i suspect my neck has its own back bow, i noticed it when i got the guitar as well and had to loosen the truss rod quite a bit.