Hi guys,

Since I'm not allowed to store my Peavey VK100 and cab at school, the music department have offered to buy an amp that can compete with a drumkit for AS recitals and other performances. Probably needs to be versatile, but needs to be able to do rock and metal if using a pedal .

Budget? Probably around £500. Then again, this is the school that spent £430 on a loop pedal that's barely been touched, so please don't hesitate on recommending things above budget [just nothing ridiculous like Mesas, which have prices through the roof in the UK].

Used or new? Preferably new - there's probably a health and safety thing against used gear. If you can recommend used stuff, I can see if I can try and convince them to get it.

Location? Buckinghamshire, UK.

Genres and bands? Metal [think of tones like Trivium, but not super high gain stuff]. Also, Buckethead and Steve Vai. Preferably a thick tone for Buckethead. Since this amp will be kept by the school for others, it should be able to do rock tones too [think modern rock tones like Green Day etc].

Feel free to go nuts with suggestions. It's not my money and I''m over the moon.

EDIT: Valve amps and strictly combos please!
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Does your school know that parts (I.E. tubes) will have to be replaced somewhat frequently? The music program at my school was in the same predicament and they went solid state for that reason. People usually just bring their amps if they really need something nice sounding.

The school isn't nessesarily looking for awesome tones so you might be in for a bit of a fight

Also, it you're buying an amp for the school, maybe consider their needs more. I doubt many people at your school plays br00tz or Vai, so why buy an amp for that shit?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Mar 5, 2013,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Does your school know that parts (I.E. tubes) will have to be replaced somewhat frequently? The music program at my school was in the same predicament and they went solid state for that reason. People usually just bring their amps if they really need something nice sounding.

The school isn't nessesarily looking for awesome tones so you might be in for a bit of a fight

Also, it you're buying an amp for the school, maybe consider their needs more. I doubt many people at your school plays br00tz or Vai, so why buy an amp for that shit?

You're right that they won't play the brootz often, but definitely needs good rock tone. The musicians here are usually either classically trained or into rock and metal [mainly rock] and will often go for lead playing because of the demands for music GCSE, AS and A2. I probably should have specified that it didn't have to be Vai tone - only listed because the sticky demanded it.

They said they are going to get one and they usually ask me whenn it comes to guitar gear. The amp is going to be used everyday, but will be used more often in Spring and Summer because of the performance times of the course.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Woffelz
You're right that they won't play the brootz often, but definitely needs good rock tone. The musicians here are usually either classically trained or into rock and metal [mainly rock] and will often go for lead playing because of the demands for music GCSE, AS and A2. I probably should have specified that it didn't have to be Vai tone - only listed because the sticky demanded it.

They said they are going to get one and they usually ask me whenn it comes to guitar gear. The amp is going to be used everyday, but will be used more often in Spring and Summer because of the performance times of the course.

I get that, but if they're asking a student for advice on what gear to buy, you should be telling them stuff about the proper maintenance of tube amps, not turning one on without a load, why they would need one in the first place etc... (if you haven't already)

I imagine that they don't know a tube change could cost them a decent bit of money depending on how many tubes the thing runs. I'd also imagine that a fair amount of people that'll plug into them wont know the difference between SS and tubes anyway.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
JVM
DSL
DT25
Blackstar HT
Egnater Rebel
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
- TC-50, Mark Five:25, Invective (soon), Vypyr 60
maybe a peavey viper the tube version is very versatile and can do alot of things and it sounds pretty good
try it (the not tube ones pretty decent too)
6505+ 112

thomann does the traynor ycv50b for a good price under budget, but whether they're willing to buy from thomann, i dunno.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Buy x2 Vypyr 75s.

£200 can be saved and you get 2 loud versatile SS amps that you wont have broken within weeks because people dont look after school gear.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Buy x2 Vypyr 75s.

£200 can be saved and you get 2 loud versatile SS amps that you wont have broken within weeks because people dont look after school gear.

x2

Those would be perfect.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
carvin v3m of v3. shipped overseas?

something orange perhaps?

marshall?

we are looking for versatility and decent tone, not boutique tone or a players specific opinions.....i would say the amps amount of settings and gain options, channels, wattages, are paramount over the actual perfect tonal quality.

first thing that came to mind is a carvin v3m. cant think of anything better.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
DSL or JVM would probably be a good choice. DSL particularly. Not sure about prices over there but I hear Marshalls are cheap.

I was gonna recommend the 212 Vypyr Tube, but for a learning environment like a school it'd probably better to have something straight up with an FX loop and everything that'll take pedals properly. The DSL isn't something anyone can get frustrated/fed up with like people can with the Vypyr or JVM. The DSL has a range that covers what you'll be doing pretty damn well. For really heavy stuff you can get a good enough tone with a boost and an EQ. I'm assuming people who are going to be playing modern metal stuff are in the minority, right?

The new DSL40C would be what I would go for. The older DSL401s are pretty different from the heads, while the 40C is pretty much the same thing in a combo. And the old 401 isn't nearly as versatile as the heads are.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 7, 2013,