A while ago I wrote a song called The Cavalry. I just finished another song with a similar sound, called Giant. It's a bit of an experiment, not necessarily in sound but moreover in composition. Also I'm a complete beginner at mixing, but I tried my best. Tell me what you think!

And of course, C4C!

(and check out this noise track I made recently: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1591294)
Last edited by Soldier Poet at Mar 6, 2013,
Hey man, I really dig what you have here. Like you said, very melancholic, but I really enjoy that about both songs. What I'd like to hear more of is the experimentation with non musical sounds like you have in Giant at 3:00. That was worked in very well and added to the ambient nature of the track. Cool stuff.

If you have time check out my band's latest stuff on my post:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1591297
Intro is very calm and nice. Reminds me a tad of The Mercury Program. I'm about 2 minutes into the song but so far it feels more like background music than active listening music to me. Its not bad, it just feels very standstill, like its not progressing towards something but just calmly going over the same idea, which creates a very nice relaxing effect though. I liked the sampling you did of outside noises, but i felt it could have been transitioned into better. You transitioned out of it rather well though.
Was not expecting any vocals so that kind of came out nowhere for me. The reverb-yness of it fits well here since this song has a atmospheric sound to it. Which I could understand what you were saying better though.

The song really suffers from feeling like its the same thing for almost 7 minutes long. You do add a couple of things that change it up here and there but for the most part everything feels the same for the whole length of the song. You don't really use many dynamics here which doesn't help. There's no real highs or lows volume-wise or mood-wise either so I think thats something you could attempt to improve on.

Please critic back https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1590976
Quote by Joshua1207
The song really suffers from feeling like its the same thing for almost 7 minutes long. You do add a couple of things that change it up here and there but for the most part everything feels the same for the whole length of the song. You don't really use many dynamics here which doesn't help. There's no real highs or lows volume-wise or mood-wise either so I think thats something you could attempt to improve on.

I don't agree with you completely, but I see what you mean. I wasn't sure about keeping the first part (before the ambience) that long, but I figured it would otherwise have been somewhat short. Anyway, thanks for you comment, it's really useful. I'll definitely use it next time. Right now I'm working on another song - it's quite different in sound, but definitely more dynamic. I'll let you hear it when it's done (if you want to).

I'll listen to both of your songs later today.
Last edited by Soldier Poet at Mar 6, 2013,
Wow! Super atmospheric, it sounds so spacey. The composition is way out of my league to really give criticism because I don't really know what you're making those sounds with, or how you're modulating them. But I really enjoyed it, love the vocals and the street noises, just great layering... It rolled onto winter too, super cool track, prefer that to giant. I'd buy your album.
Quote by SweetenerCorp
Wow! Super atmospheric, it sounds so spacey. The composition is way out of my league to really give criticism because I don't really know what you're making those sounds with, or how you're modulating them. But I really enjoyed it, love the vocals and the street noises, just great layering... It rolled onto winter too, super cool track, prefer that to giant. I'd buy your album.

Thanks! Winter is not by me though. It's by a friend of mine, I'll let him know you like it.
Great atmosphere in this one. The sax samples that come in at 2:10 are nice. Instead of just the volume swell, I would drench it in reverb and add some delay to give it more of that dreamscape and open feeling. Nice work, my only suggestion would be for a bit more variety/changes. If you're into electronica, check out Tycho Music, your song reminded me of some of his stuff.
I love this stuff! The Cavalry sets a great mood. It's really relaxing, and the vocals fit super well! The simplicity of the lead guitar parts are perfect, it's a great song.

I liked Giant better, it's similar to The Cavalry in terms of feelings it brings out, but I can tell you've improved with your recording quality and methods since you posted the Cavalry.

I hope to hear some more material from you soon!
Thanks for the feedback on my track.
I listened to Giant and really liked it, the sound of those keys were really nice the tone reminded me a bit of No Quarter. The field recordings of wind and people talking (and cars?) were really atmospheric especially with the reverb-laden guitar arpeggios, the vocals could have been a little louder for clarity but I did like the way they were kind of melted into the mix with everything. That sax melody that came in about halfway through was a nice touch too those trills worked well the way they faded in and out.
Quote by voodoochild23
The Pit is one of the most brutally honest places in the universe.

Quote by KeepOnRotting
I demand the nigga nyigguh nukka.