I want to replace my current bridge pickup which is a Dimarzio Mo Joe. I like the Mo joe, but want just a bit more versatility..Mo Joe does pretty much anything well....But the 89 can do coil split....Would an EMG 89 sound horrible in the bridge of low priced guitar like a Schecter omen 6?... I play a lot of clean,but also like playing some downtuned metal and singing lead type of music..89 good or bad in the bridge?
Well you will have a an active and a passive in the same guitar which can be done but there is one component you will need and i cant remember.

89 in the bridge will sound fine. Its like the 60 in that its lower output than the 81 and 85 but its still gonna sound great. The 60b/85n is what i have in my Epi and I hate EMG's with a bloody passion. But im broke so i cant change them. But the 60 in the bridge is a great sound all in all.

But just try and see what you think
The Rig of Joy:
Stiff Amplification Dirthead 20w
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
Last edited by bburritt1 at Mar 5, 2013,
The Mo' Joe can be split too, y'know. And you shouldn't try mixing active and passive pickups in the same guitar, it's a huge headache to do and it never sounds good.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Sorry for the confusion..I only have 1 pickup in my guitar. it's the mo joe. I was just thinking of swapping the mo joe with the 89...

But since you mention the coil split....Maybe I could try leaving the mo joe in,and adding a neck pick up and adding a coil split/tap whatever you call em...
mr flibbles got it rigth

but it you really do want to the active and passive youre going to need diffeent pots for the active pick ups

edit: your new plan works too
Ah ha! That works even better! Good plan sir well done.
The Rig of Joy:
Stiff Amplification Dirthead 20w
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
The 81TW would probably be a better or more typical choice. If you know what you're doing and know you like the 85 in the bridge (which a lot of people do, don't get me wrong), then shoot for the 89. The 89R might even be better.

As always, if you're looking for a bit less headroom and compression, look at the X variants.

If real versatility is the name of your game, take a look at the Seymour Duncan P Rails if you haven't already.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 5, 2013,
Quote by Offworld92
The 81TW would probably be a better or more typical choice. If you know what you're doing and know you like the 85 in the bridge (which a lot of people do, don't get me wrong), then shoot for the 89. The 89R might even be better.

As always, if you're looking for a bit less headroom and compression, look at the X variants.

If real versatility is the name of your game, take a look at the Seymour Duncan P Rails if you haven't already.

Yeah i've heard a lot of people say that. That the 89 is similar to the 85. I just assume it would sound better in basswood. I've actually tried the 85 in the bridge(a long time ago) and it sounded muddy..but at the time I had very very shitty gear, now I actually have a decent interface,amp,and Guitar rig 5...In those days everything sounded muddy on my cheap solid state crate...I've thought about the 81tw,but idk. If the split coil isn't extremely bright that it distorts,then it would be nice.