WhatKeyAmIIn(.com) is the first website I've ever built, so if you have any tips or suggestions, lay em on me!

I first had the idea when I was looking for something just like it, and couldn't find anything that did what I was looking for. I got a ton of great suggestions from /r/guitar, /r/musictheory and /r/guitarlessons on Reddit, and have already implemented some of them, such as the ability to display a fretboard showing all of the notes in the selected key and the ability to individually change the tuning of each string on the fretboard.

The sites definitely a work in progress, and it doesn't currently 'know' keys besides basic major and minor keys, but I'm hoping to continue to add to it as time goes by.

Any questions, comments, suggestions or general feedback are much appreciated, thanks!
Last edited by jackerman09 at Mar 5, 2013,
Quote by jackerman09
display a fretboard showing all of the notes in the selected key!

Quote by jackerman09
keys besides basic major and minor keys

You must be new here
Quote by Xiaoxi
The Byzantine scale was useful until the Ottoman scale came around and totally annihilated it.
Quote by EmilGD
You must be new here

Yeah, I've used the site as a resource for a while, but I've never taken the opportunity to check out the forums before now. Sorry if I broke any rules.
The problem is that this is not how you figure out what key you're in.

For example, I input C and Bb, and it tells me I have to be in either Dm or F. But that is not true. I often use those two chords in the keys of C and G.

YOu do not determine your key by listing notes and seeing what keys they match.
Yeah the program is flawed. It assumes that you cannot play non-diatonic chords in a key. You can.

What about a standard blues progression A7 D7 E7. If the "dominant" choice means 7th chord, your program informs me this is not in any key, despite it obviously being a blues progression in A major.

Alternatively an I IV V progression in A Im informed by your program could be in F#m. I don't think so.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I think this kind of websites are pretty useless because it's just easier and better to learn it by yourself. You need to learn theory: why you are in the key you are in. And that kind of websites don't help you understand things. It's just a shortcut that doesn't really lead anywhere. You know the key of a song but so what? Then you have the next song and again you don't know the key and you need to check it from the website. It's better to learn to recognize the key by yourself so that you can do it in the future and don't need the help of a website. Because it's not rocket science to recognize the key you are playing in.

And by keys you mean scales? Because you can use whatever notes in whatever key.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Well, give the guy some credit at least. Now that he has started posting here and seen some responses... perhaps he will learn more and incorporate into his program. Everyone learns when they are here and participating. Perhaps he will too and just make a mindblowing application in the process... of course its early days and I'm trying to see some positive spin on these things. Who knows...
perhaps he will learn more and incorporate into his program

@evolucian - so I realize it's been a long time since I posted my last message on this, but I've actually made a ton of changes to the site since then, and I'd really appreciate your feedback. The biggest change is that the site is built on top of a database of notes, chords and keys (really "chord progressions"), and this database can be modified and added to by users. I also removed ads from the site to give it a cleaner look. I still provide most of the features for free (with a premium section), but contributing to the database gives users credits towards free premium months (of which you can earn unlimited).

Basically, after your feedback here I realized that I don't have the musical chops to create this database myself, but I hope to create a platform where experts and beginners can come together to meet somewhere in the middle. Either way, I figured I'd follow up on this long dead thread and see if you had any feedback on the changes. The url is still whatkeyamiin.com. Thanks again
Incorporating every possibility into this would need some sort of human-level A.I. for accurate results. I could have the most convoluted progression in the world leading up to a V-i, but if the system can't hear that V-i, it's probably going to get it wrong.
The fundamental idea doesn't work, I'm afraid. You can't tell a key by a collection of chords. I mean, you can make a guess, but unless the chords are ordered and the program understands harmony it will always just be a guess.
Computer programs (which is what your website backend is) cannot properly hear what the tonic is. Also, what about non-diatonic chords?
When it can't find a key, perhaps ask the question whether or not it has passing chords. Like others have stated, it'll be difficult to include chords that are non diatonic.

Your premium features must be indicated as premium (iow, chordbuilder should have a "premium" tag next to it at least). I personally hate clicking stuff to find out I can't use it... chases me away. Others might be different but I'm a scorned bitch when it comes to that.

I like your fretboard thing. Beginners will get nice and lost in that for hours. All in all its still a learning tool to whomever needs to learn something. Good luck with the hard parts suggested throughout the thread
Quote by jackerman09
@evolucian - so I realize it's been a long time since I posted my last message on this, but I've actually made a ton of changes to the site since then, and I'd really appreciate your feedback.

I clicked on the fretBoard, thinking it was opening a new webpage, but it's actually just hiding the chord entry boxes. I then couldn't navigate to the home page because I was already on it!

Design is fairly clean and pleasant though.
Quote by jackerman09
Basically, after your feedback here I realized that I don't have the musical chops to create this database myself, but I hope to create a platform where experts and beginners can come together to meet somewhere in the middle. Either way, I figured I'd follow up on this long dead thread and see if you had any feedback on the changes. The url is still whatkeyamiin.com. Thanks again

Here are my tests again:

A7 D7 E7 = No key in program. In real life is in A major.

Am Dm E7 = No key in program. In real life is A minor.

jackerman, do you understand why the program isn't working?
Soundcloud
Your premium features must be indicated as premium (iow, chordbuilder should have a "premium" tag next to it at least). I personally hate clicking stuff to find out I can't use it... chases me away. Others might be different but I'm a scorned bitch when it comes to that.

This is a great point, thanks for the feedback! I will look to incorporate this in somehow
Quote by Jehannum
I clicked on the fretBoard, thinking it was opening a new webpage, but it's actually just hiding the chord entry boxes. I then couldn't navigate to the home page because I was already on it!

Hey, sorry if this was confusing, but there is 'Close' button on the top-right corner of the fretBoard, which will take you back tot he chordBuilder (homepage).
Quote by AlanHB
Here are my tests again:

Hey, thanks for the feedback. This is less a flaw in the program, and more in the fact that database is not populated with these chord/key/scale combos. It was for this reason that I offered the incentive of free premium for those users who add chords and/or keys to the database, in the hope that the community would help to build out the database in exchange for free use of the tools querying the data.
Quote by AlanHB
Here are my tests again:

Being pedantic, both your examples may have A as tonal centre (depending on duration of chords), but the first is not A major. That would be Amaj7 Dmaj7 E7. In a blues, each of those 7 chords can be handled in their own key (Mixolydian, Lydian b7, off A, D, E) and all usual substitutes applied. Second example would be A harmonic minor. A minor is too vague.
Quote by jerrykramskoy
Being pedantic, both your examples may have A as tonal centre (depending on duration of chords), but the first is not A major. That would be Amaj7 Dmaj7 E7. In a blues, each of those 7 chords can be handled in their own key (Mixolydian, Lydian b7, off A, D, E) and all usual substitutes applied. Second example would be A harmonic minor. A minor is too vague.

The first progression is just using accidentals. It is in the key of A major. This doesn't mean all of the notes have to be in that key scale. That just means the tonal center is A. And the tonal center is also a major chord which means it is in A major.

The second progression is in A minor. A harmonic minor is just a scale. A song can't be in the key of A harmonic minor because harmonic minor is not a key. Again, we are talking about keys, not scales.

Also, usually when you are in A minor, you also use the E7 chord. It is one of the most common chords in A minor.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
^^^ Yep.

Quote by jerrykramskoy

Hi Jerry

This will always be a point we clash on because I have a wider definition of keys than you. This was pretty clear in our other thread where we had a quick debate.

You are talking about an impossible situation in my book.

I do not believe that a 12 bar blues in A is actually in 3 different modes with a constantly changing tonal center. If each chord was its own key/mode as you describe, the tonal centre wouldn't be at A - it would be at A, D and E. Perhaps this describes how you personally would approach improvising over the progression rather than its harmonic context.

As for the key of A minor, at least we agree that the tonal centre is A and that it's not in a mode. The key is A minor. The E7 chord is derived from the A harmonic minor scale.

I have a feeling that there's differences about our approaches at a very fundamental level.
Soundcloud
Quote by jerrykramskoy

That's not how it works, timmy
Quote by jerrykramskoy

Nah.