So, i'm currently in the market for a new guitar. I'm sorta into stratocasters and there's this Squier Standard Strat at a local shop that i've been thinking about.

http://www.musicgoround.com/detail.aspx?id=1347664

I played it and it pretty much changed my mind about Squiers. I mean, we've all tried out those crappy good-for-nothing-but-decoration-in-a-14-year-old's-room Squiers, but this one felt more like an actual Fender. Action felt nice, tuning seemed pretty stable, but didn't get to hear the pickups. Spending only 80 bucks would be awesome but I wanna know if it would be worth upgrading the parts on. In the long run, I would wanna add better parts like pickups, tuning heads, etc. but I'm not sure if it would be worth the money to add on to this guitar.
I know one of my favorite musicians, Mike Vennart, plays a heavily modded E-series Japanese squier, so I thought it might be a good idea that could work. Any advice guys?
I have a MII Squier Affinity HSS Strat, on which I've done nothing except change the nut from plastic to graphite and change the trem block from pot metal to brass, and it's decent, especially for the price. I haven't forked out to change the pickups or anything yet, but yeah because they're all made by CNC machines nowadays, it's hard to fault the construction.
I've seen plenty of vids of people's upgraded strat-knockoffs. If you like how the guitar feels then by all means, do it! But, $80 wont get you far. Probably just new pickups and that's it. Of course, spending $150-200 will save you a bit of money compared to buying a higher-end strat. They're really modular. But really, if you buy a new strat, in my opinion, you wont notice a big difference in sound. If you want a better/different sound, a good amp will do wonders. I bought cobalt strings for my cheap strat knock-off and they actually improved the sound and tone alot.
I don't play Strats myself, but I just wanted to say that Oceansize is incredible, and Mike's guitar almost sent me into the same mission myself.
Why not look at the CV or VM Squier series and drop some new pickups in? They're quality, and pretty inexpensive for the guitar you get.
OffsetOffset
With the additional $50 shipping, you'd be better off monitoring GC's Used gear section: http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm.

I can understand wanting to mod guitars because there's the potential to increase your knowledge about how it works, how to properly set up, etc. GFS has some inexpensive PUs and hardware that may work for you. I have an inexpensive, stock Squier CV Tele that sounds incredible through my amps.
need to find out if the body is laminate if not it might not be too bad, if it is then dont bother man as soon as it gets really humid the only thing holding the body together will be the thick skin of poly on top of it.

if i were you: pass just scrap together about 250 and get a used mexican, in the long run itll serve you better than the squire ever will.
Quote by randywolf244
if i were you: pass just scrap together about 250 and get a used mexican, in the long run itll serve you better than the squire ever will.

This really isn't true of the Squier brand anymore. Quite honestly, I've played more CV and VM Squiers that actually played well than MIM Fenders. I've also played quite a few more MIM's, so they've had a marked advantage just by numbers. I love my Fenders, but my Squier is right in line with my MIM, and has required less tweaking to get there.
OffsetOffset
It plays well for $80? Why not. You can always get your cash back in full for it on Craigslist.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by randywolf244
need to find out if the body is laminate if not it might not be too bad, if it is then dont bother man as soon as it gets really humid the only thing holding the body together will be the thick skin of poly on top of it.

This is sorta more along the lines of the answer I was looking for. Of course I wouldn't mind sticking with the stock pickups or bridge it has for a while until I switch 'em out, but it's the quality of the things I would have to stick with(body, neck) that make me wonder if it's worth putting money into.
Quote by randywolf244

Also, I will not tolerate any racist behavior on this plane.
My thoughts with upgrading a Squier - If you like how it plays, then why not? Lots of stuff you can do to improve it can be swapped over to another strat if you decide to upgrade to a better model later on.

I will also vouch for the Squier VM/CV series instruments though. I picked up a VM jazz bass 2-3 months back, and it absolutely destroys for it's cost. Can definitely give a MIM a run for it's money IMHO.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by SteveHOC
This really isn't true of the Squier brand anymore. Quite honestly, I've played more CV and VM Squiers that actually played well than MIM Fenders. I've also played quite a few more MIM's, so they've had a marked advantage just by numbers. I love my Fenders, but my Squier is right in line with my MIM, and has required less tweaking to get there.

CV and VMs are fine but this is a standard, Android I've never had a mim anything less than great
Fair enough, though I've had a couple Affinity Series (years ago) that I beat to hell and back, that held together very well. It always comes down to the individual guitar, and that stands to reason for virtually all brands in my opinion.
OffsetOffset
i owned at least a dozen MIM strats and teles, and two MIA's, and one squier affinity and one squier bass.

out of all of that i have gotten rid of all but a '95 olympic white maple board godess MIM strat. better than all of the others. the closest competitor was an MIA from the early '00's. had 'better' electronics and indisputably better hardware, but all of that could be changed. that MIM played better than all of them. i can change a bridge. i can change pickups (although i haven't), but you can't change feel and vibe. and that guitar had 'it' for me.

my affinity strat is in minnesota with my cousin. so when i go up there i have something to play and he keeps it safe, he knows that he can play it if he wants to learn (he is like 27). its not a bad guitar. however the bodies on every affinity i have played (not sure on the std models) are thinner than on an MIM and don't have such a solid 'feel'

if you want to mod everything to hell and back, go ahead, but you will never gain value, actually it would probably prevent buyers if it isn't reversible. if you sell it swap back everything you can. you can sell the upgraded parts, but used guitar parts (unless vintage NOS or VOS or whatever) aren't worth much, and you just have parts.

if i had an affinity strat and $80 on my hands i would probably get some new pickups from guitarfetish (a lot of people seem to like them and they are pretty cheap).

if i had a guitar and see a standard for $80 and only had one or two guitars, i would buy it.

but if i were you i would go through a pile of MIM's and find a good one. $250 will get you something pretty nice.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Did they tell you what year that Squier is?

If it's the same one in the picture, it's not a Standard model, or at least not like they've been building them for the last 5+years. Those have 22 frets, 2-point trems, and are as thick as a MIM or MIA Strat.

It could be an Affinity or a Bullet. Those are 1/4" thinner than Standards, MIMs, & MIAs. Some of the Bullets were plywood for a while. Bullets are just 1 step up from a Walmart/Target Starcaster. Affinities can be OK, but they could use upgrades right away like pups. You might break the tuners quickly and the saddles won't last as long as the real Fenders either. Also, the output jacks don't tend to grip to well. All that is easy to fix, but probably not worth it on a Bullet.
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
The MII affinity strats could be decent. If its a bullet pass.

First thing I'd do is get a bone nut, replace the trem block, and look for some used tuners. After that look at pups and a new trem.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not