so i write a large variety of styles. At times i write in a blend between the white stripes ant led zeppelin, kind of a hard blues rock style, yet other times i write sort of with a poppy acoustic chord strumming feel. I just want to know are people gonna only listen to songs from 1 of the many genres i play, and if so how could i keep them tied into my music.(without pulling a fleetwood mac)
Last edited by werty24 at Mar 5, 2013,
What is” pulling a Fleetwood Mac” and how is it a bad thing? They wrote great music and sold millions of albums, and that's a bad thing?
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Don't care about genres. You will hear which songs fit you and which don't. You don't need to use all songs you write or you can use them in another projects. For example I have written many songs and I know not all of them will work with my band. I keep them as my stuff and if I join another band some time, I might use the songs there. But usually all the songs you write still have something similar. For example listen to Led Zeppelin. They always sound like Led Zeppelin even though they wrote rock, blues, funk, folk, country, pop and some songs you could consider as metal.

But the thing why my songs don't fit my band is because my songs usually sound like some 80s hard rock and my band plays more like instrumental blues rock jamming stuff. I know they don't fit our band (we have tried playing them and they just don't work).

The point is, you know which songs fit the same album. If there are too many different kind of songs, it doesn't sound like an album any more, it sounds like a collection of different kind of songs.

Also you shouldn't care about if people like it or not. People like it if they like it. Some music just appeals to people better. Musicians just write music they like. And there are always people who like and people who don't like your music. Because the music you write is the sum of your influences. If somebody has listened to the same bands as you, he will likely like your songs.

Do you play in a band or what?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
John Mayer.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by Sleaze Disease
What is” pulling a Fleetwood Mac” and how is it a bad thing? They wrote great music and sold millions of albums, and that's a bad thing?

yes i love fleetwood mac but they totally changed from a rough blues group to pop junk
You just havn't found your style yet. Most great musicians come to a point when they sound like themselves regardless of what style they are writing in.

Just like Bitches Brew and Kind of Blue both sound like Miles Davis, even though they are in very different styles.

Besides, you most likely don't have a large and commited fanbase anyway so you needn't care too much of what they think.

And you don't want to have a fanbase that wants you to record the same album 10 times anyway.

Quote by werty24
yes i love fleetwood mac but they totally changed from a rough blues group to pop junk

Rumours is great