Hi everyone,

I just had to share something... I have a JCM2000 (TSL602 combo) and have really struggled to get a decent sound out of it (especially from the two OD channels) since I bought it 2nd hand about 4-5 years ago.

After spending so much time on the internet, tweaking EQ, using different 'distortion' pedals; I finally have done it (i think...)

So simple... utilize the two overdrive channels (with the right EQ) with an overdrive pedal in front..

In saying that i did also replace the pre-amp tubes AND have the overdrive pedal EQ set at 12'o'clock (full volume - low gain)....

So far sounding good.....and natural...

BTW I like a pretty chuncky-high gain sound...

Now I just need to work out how best to use (and locate) the Marshall foot switch....
if you'd asked, we could have saved you a few years

Not that the change in valves hasn't had an effect, but you'd have been much closer much quicker.

Edit: I now realise that my mate went through the exact same thing with his tsl100 head. He took it for granted that with the 3 channels he had pretty much all the tones he needed, assuming that it was just a case of EQing.

It was only after he bought an expensive overdrive pedal and told us that he'd finally found his tone that we realised what he'd been looking for.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Mar 5, 2013,
Very true.... I think a lot of it came down to the EQ plus i needed to be more open to an overdrive rather than distortion....

I also am a bit obsessive/compulsive in respect to fitting pedals and things neatly on my pedal board (standard Marshall footswitch is too big...) so just need to get past that hurdle.

Any ideas on that topic appreciated! I only need the 3 switched (clean, OD1 & OD2)...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Marshall-TSL-2-button-Footswitch-Voodooman-/321024456251?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4abe8c763b

something like that should work. There's a 4 button one that's slightly bigger (but still smaller than the marshall one I think) that does reverb and fx too.

I'm based in the UK so I couldn't tell you if there are any better local alternatives.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
If any amp on the planet benefits from JJ ECC83S tubes it's a TSL.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Actually that's what i used.. 4 of those.. still has a slight high-pitched sound though...

Not sure if thats normal or a case of "microphonic" valves??
Give 'em all a tap with a pencil. If one is microphonic you'll hear it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification