Just picked up a marshall dsl201. I'm using a big muff and ds1 to achieve grunge sounds. What kind of settings do you guys use on your clean channel when running pedals? Something always seems alittle off when I try to dial in tones. Are there standards for grunge like no mids etc?
Throw it in a bucket of muddy water and play. It will sound Grungy. See what I did there?

Sorry, couldn't resist. I honestly have no clue. I have heard compressors were big in the 90's, but I'm not sure.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Lol i know there not the greatest tones by any means but I still love em. I'm just trying to get a generic tone for the whole genre no one specific. Although I'm aware they all sounded different.
In the grunge band I was in in the 90's we didn't use fuzz or distortion pedals at all. The rhythm guitarist used a JCM900 and I used my Abbey (think AC30 on roids with a Mesa Mark channel). We got all our distortion from our amps. We both used fairly flat EQ settings. He with mildly scooped mids, me with ever so slightly boosted mids.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
No such thing as standards :P I use a Marshall JCM900 and keep the EQ fairly flat. If I'm using overdrive/distortion from pedals then I have all the EQ set to 12oclock, if I'm using the amps dirty channel then I'll usually just rack the treble up a little
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
Quote by Joeballz
Lol i know there not the greatest tones by any means but I still love em. I'm just trying to get a generic tone for the whole genre no one specific. Although I'm aware they all sounded different.

Dude, good luck. There were so many different tones for that era like Soundgarden soounds nothing like Alice in Chains, and they sounds nothing like Nirvana or Pearl Jam. Yeah, I liked Grunge. I was just being an ass.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
One tone in particular I would love to have is bush's machinehead any clue how to get that sound?
Fairly flat eq, back off the treble and bass to taste. I use fenders so I'm not 100% sure for a marshall but it shouldn't be a hard tone to get.