I've been looking for a smallish tube amp head for a while now, and I've narrowed down to 2:

H&K Tubemeister 18
Orange TH30

I'm planning on getting a 2x12 cab. Genres I play go from Blues to hc punk to metal. However I play in a hardcore band so that kind of a sound is a priority, but I don't want a one trick pony of an amp, I need some versatility (i.e. I need cleans). Volume wise I need power to play with a loud drummer and small venue gigs. Some bands that have a sound I'm after: Defeater, Comeback Kid, Verse, Touche Amore.

I've tested both of these amps quite extensively and as I'm not that familiar with tube amps (have played with a solid state thus far) they both sound ridiculously awesome to me. Regarding the sound I'm after the Orange seems to be slightly ahead, but it lacks eq possibilities and is really stretching my budget (price tagat 700euro). Also since there is only a "shape" knob for EQ purposes on the OD channel, I had some trouble finding tones with more low end. Seemed like the clean channel had a lot more low end, maybe playing an OD pedal through the clean channel might fix that?

The tubemeister seemed slightly more versatile with an EQ, is cheaper (500e), has a power soak (awesome to get the great tones at 1 watt while practicing at bedroom levels), and is only slightly behind the crunchy distorted tone the orange has to offer.

So which would you guys recommend?
Last edited by AmIEvil? at Mar 6, 2013,
personally, the orange is a WAY better amp both in quality and tone...thus more expensive.

what other amps did you look at?

really the orange has a power soak...not down to 1 watt though. and oranges are historically known for being a bit darker and bassier? did you explore the full range of the EQ?

aside from money, i say orange the whole way. obviously a persons budget is a persons budget.....

i would recommend more but im not sure what you have tested.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
personally, the orange is a WAY better amp both in quality and tone...thus more expensive.

what other amps did you look at?

really the orange has a power soak...not down to 1 watt though. and oranges are historically known for being a bit darker and bassier? did you explore the full range of the EQ?

aside from money, i say orange the whole way. obviously a persons budget is a persons budget.....

i would recommend more but im not sure what you have tested.

I've tested an ENGL gigmaster 15w, tiny terror, dark terror and jim root terror from Orange, and some Fender combo's. The terrors are awesome amps but there's very little headroom for cleans, which aren't all that special to begin with. The gigmaster was a very nice amp and it might still be a possibility.

I did try the full range of the eq. It's really hard to know what's happening with the sound eq-wise when there's only one "shape" knob for an EQ. Maybe I just don't know how to distinguish low end

And please, feel free to recommend more
How much is a Line 6 DT25 where you are?
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
- TC-50, Mark Five:25, Invective (soon), Vypyr 60
Krank 1980Jr (50 watt)
EVH 5150III mini
Krank Rev Jr (50)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It's all preference when it comes to tone. Personally i think the Tubemeister sounds better. If you can afford the TH30 than perhaps you can afford the Tubemeister 36? Three channels, built in reverb, midi-interface and so on.
I would buy a Cornford Roadhouse 30/50 for what you're doing, plenty of options out there though.
The orange for sure. I'm pretty sure most of those bands use some kind of marshall or orange. Comeback kid has a mesa in there. But the orange will do what you want it to do. That kind of hardcore tends to like a british sound and usually an Orange cab.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120