Hi all,

So I am going to buy a new pick up this weekend. I am looking at the bridge pick up first as a troubleshoot approach. I want to replace one first to make sure that it'll fix my guitar's current woes. My BC Rick Warlock facotry PUPs seem to be going out, they aren't good anyways.

Should I be looking at active or passive humbuckers? I am worried about a 9 volt battery running out often and the pain of replacing it, but at the same time I hear active PUPs are generally more rangy and buck the hum better.

Whereas passive humbuckers seem like they are more difficult to install with all of the wiring.

Which one is easiest to install? I would assume active, but I am not positive on that. I am absolutely not paying someone to do this for me. I like to learn on my own. I have a soldering iron and I am sure there is a youtube video of a how to on this, so not really concerned about it more curious.
Depends on the active. Both are gonna involve resoldering some connections. Pick some pickups that you think will sound good and have a tech replace them. Although, if you think the problem is the pickup you may (read probably) wrong. I would only replace the pickups if you're unhappy with the sound. Otherwise I recommend to taking it to a tech to troubleshoot the problems for you.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
9volts won't run out that often, they last a fairly long time actually. Assuming you unplug the guitar and what not. What tones are you going for?
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Quote by Charvel1995
9volts won't run out that often, they last a fairly long time actually. Assuming you unplug the guitar and what not. What tones are you going for?

yeah actives on average have 3000 hours of life. Just remember to unplug after you jam.

Actives are a great use for lots of distortion and effects. They hold up very well in that respect. Thats why they're favored by metal musicians.

Passives are gonna be little less forgiving than actives. Meaning they have generally have less output but they have more vocal qualities. Have alot more to choose from since there are only so many sounds you can get out of an active. Very limited active selection.

Installing a passive pickup with allready passive equiped guitar is very simple. Actives look daunting but most are solderless. So thats personal preference.
The Rig of Joy:
Stiff Amplification Dirthead 20w
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
Last edited by bburritt1 at Mar 6, 2013,
Thanks for the advice!

I have never been happy with the factory pickups. Nearly impossible for them to pick up a pinched harmoic and it doesn't pick up tapping well and stuff like that. Plus the sound I don't like. It's not metal enough. I like to play just about anything. It's too high pitched and doesn't do palm muting well when in the bridge position. It really sounds like like crap when the bridge pick up is selected.

As I posted in another thread, it absolutely has to be the pickups not working correctly because I have opened up the electronics panel and everything is soldered tight and everything should be in working order. It's not any of my calbes or equiment either because my other guitar works just fine on the same equipment.
Quote by BlizzardCrowley
My BC Rick Warlock facotry PUPs seem to be going out, they aren't good anyways.
Pickups don't really "go out". There isn't anything to wear out, but the leads can break if you're rough with it unsoldering.
I am worried about a 9 volt battery running out often and the pain of replacing it, but at the same time I hear active PUPs are generally more rangy and buck the hum better.
I wouldn't say they're any better at killing hum than a traditional pickup. Actives are actually a very weak passive pickup and an active preamp stuck underneath it. And the batteries last quite a long time.
Whereas passive humbuckers seem like they are more difficult to install with all of the wiring.
What? You're messing with 2 wires and that's it with passive (4 if it's a tapable pickup). If you went active you would have to install a battery box (or a battery terminal), run wires to the pickup for power, install a stereo input jack, and change out all of the control pots. Plus you can't have a passive pickup and an active in one guitar without doing some very crafty and smart wiring.
Quote by BlizzardCrowley
I have never been happy with the factory pickups. Nearly impossible for them to pick up a pinched harmoic and it doesn't pick up tapping well and stuff like that. Plus the sound I don't like. It's not metal enough.
Any pickup should pick up pinch harmonics and taping just fine. It sounds like to me your pickup height is incredibly low. But I definitely understand wanting to change pickups for better tone.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
What bands are you trying to emulate?
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Quote by Flux'D
Pickups don't really "go out". There isn't anything to wear out, but the leads can break if you're rough with it unsoldering.
I wouldn't say they're any better at killing hum than a traditional pickup. Actives are actually a very weak passive pickup and an active preamp stuck underneath it. And the batteries last quite a long time.What? You're messing with 2 wires and that's it with passive (4 if it's a tapable pickup). If you went active you would have to install a battery box (or a battery terminal), run wires to the pickup for power, install a stereo input jack, and change out all of the control pots. Plus you can't have a passive pickup and an active in one guitar without doing some very crafty and smart wiring.Any pickup should pick up pinch harmonics and taping just fine. It sounds like to me your pickup height is incredibly low. But I definitely understand wanting to change pickups for better tone.

Thanks for the advice man. I'll adjust the height of the pickups tonight and see what happens.

I will change the pickups for tones, though. I obviously don't know much about pickups.
Quote by Charvel1995
What bands are you trying to emulate?

I like to Black Sabbath, Metalica, some Slipknot. Anything with a driving power chord with a dark grungy sound. Mega Death, Anthrax, ect.

I also like to play Led Zep, obviously not in that context above.
Last edited by BlizzardCrowley at Mar 6, 2013,
Actives might be the best fit for ya. Check the 81/85, 85/60 or 81/60 combo's Jim Root of Slipknot uses the 81/60 set. Hetfield has his own set which is neat as well.

Passive choices I would go for would be the Duncan Distortion/59
The Rig of Joy:
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Epiphone Prophecy
Quote by bburritt1
Actives might be the best fit for ya. Check the 81/85, 85/60 or 81/60 combo's Jim Root of Slipknot uses the 81/60 set. Hetfield has his own set which is neat as well.

Passive choices I would go for would be the Duncan Distortion/59

Thanks for the advice. I'll do some research on those.

BTW, a quick internet search on strings being too close to the PUPs has turned out my answer. I am an idiot. My strings are really close to the PUP's, therefore I am not hardly getting any sound at all.

I'll learn.

Lesson learned. I have learned a lot about the importance of pickups over the last few days.
Quote by BlizzardCrowley
Thanks for the advice. I'll do some research on those.

BTW, a quick internet search on strings being too close to the PUPs has turned out my answer. I am an idiot. My strings are really close to the PUP's, therefore I am not hardly getting any sound at all.

I'll learn.

Lesson learned. I have learned a lot about the importance of pickups over the last few days.

There you go man! Well now you have the knowledge. Glad you able to find everthing you needed.
The Rig of Joy:
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Epiphone Prophecy
Quote by bburritt1
There you go man! Well now you have the knowledge. Glad you able to find everthing you needed.

While mine probably are fine...still...I still have my heart set on some new PUPs
yeah actives the battery lasts forever. this should not be a factor in your decision.

technically, in a guitar that came with passives, passives will be easier to install. actives are easy to install in a guitar that had actives in it.

regardless, i recommend getting a tech to do it, especially for actives on the initial install.

im going to go ahead and say if you play metal, and you have a good setup (amp), its hard to go wrong with EMGs per say. dont think anybody eill deny that. however its personal preference and many like the feel or tone of a good old passive pickup.....which can be equally ad brutal.

however, they are different, and some players revolve strongly towards one or the other. i think you will find for other genres besides metal....passives are dominant.

NOT that actives are not good for cleans....im just saying. in the world of guitar playing, actives really accel at high output, high gain applications.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
^ EMG started out making jazz pickups. And their SA's are some of the squeakiest clean pickups you can buy.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

correct. thats why im not starting that flame fest....

key word, "started out". lets look at the # of guitar styles and platers using EMGs....i think a majority are rocking some gain in their tone.

playing and amp are key. im sure you can bust out some sexy ass blues and jazz with EMGs.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
David Gilmour comes to mind.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60