I've been looking at some poweramps like the Marshall 100/100 and the Mesa 90/90, and it seems like every poweramp I can find is stereo. Is there such thing as a mono power amp, or is it possible to just use one side of one? I don't see how anyone needs 8 power tubes.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
A 200W mono? I couldn't use half like a normal poweramp?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I've been looking at some poweramps like the Marshall 100/100 and the Mesa 90/90, and it seems like every poweramp I can find is stereo. Is there such thing as a mono power amp, or is it possible to just use one side of one? I don't see how anyone needs 8 power tubes.

they do make mono poweramps, but they are a little unusual (or more purpose built for guitar).

with a solid state power amp you can just run one side, no need to hook speakers to the other side. in tube amp it's different, you will want both sides to see a proper impedance. i am unaware if tube power amps run a dummy load if a speaker cab isn't plugged in.

either way, almost every power amp i have seen lets you 'bridge' the amp. bridging just means you connect both sides of the power amp together, this usually doubles the output of the power amp.

for example, my phonic PA can be run at 100W per side at 4 ohms... or i can run the amp bridged at 200W at 8 ohms.

i know of one tube power amp offhand that can be run mono (bridged) or stereo. carvin TS100.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/TS100

the other amps you listed may also be able to be bridged, but i didn't check.

Quote by 4FunandProphet
You judge ridge the left and right channgels, and it'll run in mono.

judge ridge?

put me on the map, what does that mean?
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Offworld92
I don't see how anyone needs 8 power tubes.

Depending on the tubes that the manufacturer chose to go with the amp, you might. As a lot of people have said, almost any stereo power amp has a switch or other configuration to allow you to "bridge" the two channels into one massive mono channel that uses all of the power of both amps. With solid-state power amps, that can mean ridiculous power levels (like 3,000 watts RMS). And sure, you can use just one of the amps in a stereo power amp. Bassists do it all of the time.

Tube power amps are not common because (a.) they tend to be as expensive as hell, and (b.) most musicians who want tubes just buy a tube amplifier. But they do exist. Someone already mentioned Carvin's TS-100 100-watt tube power amp (Steve Vai uses at least one of them), and if you have the cash to spend, there's Demeter's massive VTHF-300M single-channel tube power amp (Eight 6550 power tubes).
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Is the older Carvin Tube 100 pretty much the same thing as the TS100? It looks pretty easy on the wallet.

Otherwise I'd just go for the Marshall, that one in particular I'm really liking what I'm hearing.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X