can an eq pedal go in front of the amp if you dont have effects loop and still be effective? would the same be true for a sonic stomp?
I use both in front of mine and it works pretty well Might be some benefit to it being in an effects loop but I'm not sure
Get them to love you, while they may depending on your words and wealth, the only one who's really judging you is yourself, nobody else.

Any and all posts by this user are fictional and for entertainment purposes only
Sure. People did it for years before amplifier companies started incorporating an effects loop into their products. It works fine. It might work better in an effects loop, but you can always front-load it if you want.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
with an EQ, always think what its altering.

guitar/EQ/amp, you are essentially just EQ'ing what is coming out of your guitar.

guitar/gain pedal/####/EQ you are EQing what goes right into your amp, in this scenario you are EQ'ing your pedals (####) prior getting into amp.

or you can use it in a effects loop you are basically EQing the output tone.

there are some reasons for all of them.

i am sure somebody will come back and retort what i said or rephrase it, etc.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^ That's how I view it as well.

It's not that you can't put your EQ in front, it's just that it's only able to do very little there. Putting it in your loop allows you to shape your entire signal. It gives the EQ much, much more power. When the EQ is in front, you are still ultimately limited by your amp.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
putting it in your effects loop is putting it after your amp's eq. so it will have the most shaping power there.

however, you can still use it in front of the amp. it just won't have the same impact as an eq in the loop.
at one point, a long time ago (back before the 10 band died) i did use it out front (essentially) shaping just the guitar tone, but it had to shape my strat and make them a tiny bit more hot, which i didn't want with the gibson in use. granted it may be odd, it did what it did, it didn't have massive impact, but it remedied a guitar swap easily live.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Something like the Boss EQ-20 would be really great for live use, where you can program different EQs into it to use for different guitars on stage.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X