Hey,
I just bought a JCM 900 100W/50W amp to use in my band. Buut when I bring it home, and I able to switch it to 50W and play it at a low volume, or will that ruin the valves? I've heard it does that. Just need to know for sure. If needed, i'm running it through a Marshall JCM 900 1960a cabinet.
Thanks,
Nick
Running it at lower volume is no problem at all. Enjoy your new amp.
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
- TC-50, Mark Five:25, Invective (soon), Vypyr 60
The difference between 100W and 50W won't even really matter at bedroom volumes. Lukily for you, this isn't 1966 and amps have master volumes. You'll be fine, just simply turn the volume down like you would with any other piece of electronics.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Also, a smaller cab could help with any volume concerns.
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
- TC-50, Mark Five:25, Invective (soon), Vypyr 60
Quote by Offworld92
The difference between 100W and 50W won't even really matter at bedroom volumes. Lukily for you, this isn't 1966 and amps have master volumes. You'll be fine, just simply turn the volume down like you would with any other piece of electronics.

+1

That's all you need to know.

Valve amps do sound different turned up (read: different, not necessarily better),

But actually you wear valves out faster having it turned up so technically better for the amp having it turned down, it probably only uses two valves in 50W mode so be careful to keep an eye on those two dying before the other two
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
50W mode on a JCM900 is there so you can get power tube distortion at slightly lower volumes. We are still talking about stage levels alongside a drummer though. At low volume it does jack shit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification