When I got the idea to start putting my music "out there" online (not in the business sense, but for friends and family and I guess whoever else wanted to listen) I thought it was as simple as plugging my guitar into an interface. Nothing is ever as simple as I want it

Anyway, I have REAPER v4.32 (the trail version, for now) and a Focusrite Saffire 6. I plugged in my headphones and my guitar and randomly downloaded this guy because "The NEW List of Amp Simulators..." sticky said it was "capable of many different tones."

Versatile, virtual amp to play whatever genre I wanted? Cool beans. Sounded easy enough. Downloaded it and (eventually) figured out how to "hook it up" with REAPER. After that, everything went to hell.

Tried looking up tutorials on REAPER's site and the interwebz, in general, but I'm still utterly confused. I didn't know how to get the amp sim to act like an actual amp, sound only came out of my left headphone, I didn't know if I had to download another program to open the .rar file (the amp sim), and the list goes on.

Is there a dumba** version of all these tutorials? I mean for once I wouldn't mind being babied in a tutorial. Some of these even start 2 or 3 steps ahead of where I want to be.

I'll post whatever information you guys require as I know this is a bit vague, but this is a new level of confusion for me (and I can usually work stuff out on my own without too much assistance). Thanks in advance.
Heisenberg might have been here

I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac

I don't clean my room because I'm saving entropy the effort

Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route
Quote by jhalterman
When I got the idea to start putting my music "out there" online (not in the business sense, but for friends and family and I guess whoever else wanted to listen) I thought it was as simple as plugging my guitar into an interface. Nothing is ever as simple as I want it

Anyway, I have REAPER v4.32 (the trail version, for now) and a Focusrite Saffire 6. I plugged in my headphones and my guitar and randomly downloaded this guy because "The NEW List of Amp Simulators..." sticky said it was "capable of many different tones."

Versatile, virtual amp to play whatever genre I wanted? Cool beans. Sounded easy enough. Downloaded it and (eventually) figured out how to "hook it up" with REAPER. After that, everything went to hell.

Tried looking up tutorials on REAPER's site and the interwebz, in general, but I'm still utterly confused. I didn't know how to get the amp sim to act like an actual amp, sound only came out of my left headphone, I didn't know if I had to download another program to open the .rar file (the amp sim), and the list goes on.

Is there a dumba** version of all these tutorials? I mean for once I wouldn't mind being babied in a tutorial. Some of these even start 2 or 3 steps ahead of where I want to be.

I'll post whatever information you guys require as I know this is a bit vague, but this is a new level of confusion for me (and I can usually work stuff out on my own without too much assistance). Thanks in advance.

I'm thinking about doing a tutorial video for my blog on this, but I haven't gotten around to it :-).

Basic steps:

1) Download and unpack amp sim in a directory of your choosing
2) Go into Reaper preferences and add the directory above to where Reaper looks for vsts. Press rescan.
3) Create new track.
4) Add the amp sim to the track.
5) Add a cab loader (separate VST like lecab2 or reaper's own reverberate). Load a cab impulse inside that vst.
6) Go into audio preferences and select your audio interface. Use ASIO if you're on windows.
7) Arm track for recording and turn on monitoring.
8) Now the simulated sound from your guitar should be coming out of your listening device (regardless if you're recording or not).

I record and monitor through my Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. I've turned the monitor knob all the way to playback (not direct) and the mono/stereo switch to stereo. Not sure if that's needed, Reaper's meters show output on both channels.

I've found however that direct-monitoring vst amp sims is extremely CPU consuming. I do have an older computer (with a C2D cpu), but I can't record without serious stuttering. Playback and monitoring is fine, but as soon as I hit rec the track turns to crap...
Last edited by osiris8 at Mar 7, 2013,
Amp and cab VSTs are amazing, but they can be a little bit cumbersome to get to grips with.

I highly recommend downloading the Amplitube 3 Custom Shop (free version), it includes several different amps, cabs and mics in a single interface, with presets to get the right sort of sound. Once you get used to it and have figured out the basics of amp simulation, you can move up to stuff like LePou, AcmeBarGig and Redwirez (which are free, but capable of phenomenal tones).
Quote by kyle62
Amp and cab VSTs are amazing, but they can be a little bit cumbersome to get to grips with.

I highly recommend downloading the Amplitube 3 Custom Shop (free version), it includes several different amps, cabs and mics in a single interface, with presets to get the right sort of sound. Once you get used to it and have figured out the basics of amp simulation, you can move up to stuff like LePou, AcmeBarGig and Redwirez (which are free, but capable of phenomenal tones).

And TSE.
I would really recommend getting leCab2. Since that can take up to 6 slots, you can effectively mimic the sound of a guitar playing through 6 cabs. My setup consists of throwing 3 cabs on the left for the left-panned track, and 3 cabs on the right for the right-panned track. Then, I pick impulses (think of these as mic'ing the virtual cab) from RedWirez or Catharsis Impulses that (or whatever impulse pack you choose to download) sound good to me.

Btw, if you didn't know, you are going to have to double track. That means guitar track left is panned somewhere between 75-100% left (depending upon what sounds best in your mix), and guitar track right is panned 75-100% right. Then, you record each track on a separate take. (So, for track left, plug your guitar into the left XLR slot of your Sapphire 6. Track right into the right XLR slot after you're done with track left. Or visa versa.) The result is that you get a much thicker stereo sound for those rock/Metal/"whatever genre" riffs. Any riff-based music should be double tracked.

Also, since you have a Metallica avatar, I'm assuming you like metal, so I'd check out the amp sims LeGion and LePou LeCto (both of which can be found in the amp sims/cab sim/impulses sticky, along with everything else).

This series of metal mixing videos by Jamesvm may also help you. His series is one of the few mixing metal guides on youtube that actually tells you the how and the why. (Remember, the why is more important than the how.)

Start with drums. (See here for how to set up drum tracks.) Then, move through the series until you get to vocals and finally mastering. Skip vocals if you're doing instrumental tracks, of course.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 8, 2013,
First off, let me thank you guys for the help. I'm still kind of perplexed I haven't found anything more basic online, even given REAPER's popularity among newbies, intermediates, and advanced users, alike. That being said, you guys have helped a great deal in getting me on my feet with this stuff

There were also some terms I needed to look up before moving on (like what in the hell "impulse responses" were, exactly) and I found this little gem sitting atop a Google search. All the recommendations are similar to those posted in the "Amp Sim" sticky (I might even ask ChemicalFire if he could add a "newbie" section to his sticky with that link included). It just goes into greater detail and while it will take a little while to fully understand it all, it's an excellent start.

I also took kyle62's advice and just downloaded Amplitube 3's Custom Shop. Got it up and running within a matter of minutes! (Thanks to osisris8 for those steps). I would also like to take this time to apologize. You may or may not recall, but you recommended Amplitube 3 on a previous post of mine a little while back and I pretty much just shrugged it off because ONE other guy said how A3 wasn't that good. Looks like I'm paying the price for my ignorance and impatience now, eh? In all honesty, I'm loving the program's simplicity despite not knowing a whole lot about amp head/cabinet combinations. One is "British Tube Lead 1" and two appear to be "clean" so that should get me started. I'll just randomly choose the cab, lol.

Also, everything almost sounds "as it should" once I hit the "Input 1 Instrument/Line level switch" on my Saffire 6. The only thing that was still bugging me was when I turned the "Mixer" knob from 100% "Playback" to 100% "Input" I was still only getting sound out of my left headphone. When I turned it back, it felt like there were two signals coming through my headphones and it was quite odd to play.

EDIT: I didn't even see crazysam's post, sorry! D: And holy hell, that's a lot of great info, thank you. Is my headphone issue because I'm plugged into the left XLR slot? That would make sense if the slot is automatically panned left. I think...
Heisenberg might have been here

I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac

I don't clean my room because I'm saving entropy the effort

Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route
Last edited by jhalterman at Mar 8, 2013,