I have been spending sometime learning arpeggios using the" CAGED " cage major and minor arpeggios on 6 / 4/ 3 strings up and down the fret board in the 5 shapes . I have ordered a loop pedal so I can play a chord progression and play arpeggios over the progression in different key . I am wondering If I am on the right learning track as I don’t have a teacher or anyone to guide me. I like to play rock music and want to play solo and Rhythm, I don’t want to learn anything I am not going to use or find useful in the type of music I like to play ? The other thing how can you apply arpeggios with a pentatonic scale like combine scales with arpeggios ?
can you play any songs?
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
can you play any songs?

^Yup, that's the real question here.
Quote by Hail
can you play any songs?

I haven’t really tired to play any songs and I have nether used arpeggios to play any song, I am only now using arpeggios with chord progression like 1- 5 -6- 4 in key of C “ all I am doing is just improvising with the chords and arpeggios I with most likely play the chords and then play the arpeggio . The only chord shape i have trouble playing is the C and G shape bar
Quote by dazzzer30
I haven’t really tired to play any songs and I have nether used arpeggios to play any song, I am only now using arpeggios with chord progression like 1- 5 -6- 4 in key of C “ all I am doing is just improvising with the chords and arpeggios I with most likely play the chords and then play the arpeggio . The only chord shape i have trouble playing is the C and G shape bar

learn some songs, learn some music. you can't learn a language in any usable way by reading individual words one at a time - you have to pick apart phrases, sentences, context and make your own. you're trying to wear shoes without socks here

Quote by ccannon1
Well, what if I told you that arpeggios are scales with a few missing notes?

very wrong
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
very wrong

Ah crap, can you tell me what exactly is wrong with the statement? Still learning.
Technically, there aren't any missing notes. It's just played in intervals of thirds.

1 3 5 7 9(2) 11(4) 13 (6)

Arpeggio means broken chord. Now put the puzzle together
Last edited by evolucian at Mar 7, 2013,
what if i told you scales come from chords, not the other way around
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
learn some songs, learn some music. you can't learn a language in any usable way by reading individual words one at a time - you have to pick apart phrases, sentences, context and make your own. you're trying to wear shoes without socks here

very wrong

Well i was using a chord progression so i could practice arpeggios and Improvise , I don’t see why I need to learn some song to learn music? And even if i wanted to learn a song the chord progression i was using has lots of songs build around it,
Quote by dazzzer30
Well i was using a chord progression so i could practice arpeggios and Improvise , I don’t see why I need to learn some song to learn music? And even if i wanted to learn a song the chord progression i was using has lots of songs build around it,

read that back to yourself and think very, very hard about whether you believe what you're saying

keeping in mind, of course, that you're asking how to make songs and that what you're doing isn't working
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
what if i told you scales come from chords, not the other way around

But they don't.

Scales don't come from chords. I'm pretty sure we had scales before we had chords, so they can't come from chords.

@ccannon1: You could look at an arpeggio as a scale missing notes. It's not going to do any detrimental damage to your learning. If looking at them that way allows you to be more effective with your use of arpeggios then there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, in fact it could well be argued that if that is the consequence then there is something RIGHT with this way of thinking (for you at least and possibly for others too).

Quote by dazzzer30
I have been spending sometime learning arpeggios using the" CAGED " cage major and minor arpeggios on 6 / 4/ 3 strings up and down the fret board in the 5 shapes . I have ordered a loop pedal so I can play a chord progression and play arpeggios over the progression in different key . I am wondering If I am on the right learning track as I don’t have a teacher or anyone to guide me. I like to play rock music and want to play solo and Rhythm, I don’t want to learn anything I am not going to use or find useful in the type of music I like to play ? The other thing how can you apply arpeggios with a pentatonic scale like combine scales with arpeggios ?

An arpeggio is a melodic tool. You need to learn how to play melodies. Playing arpeggios over each chord in a progression is ok for practicing finger positions and fretboard knowledge. But playing arpeggios over each chord is like using the arpeggios to reinforce the harmony and not necessarily providing an interesting melodic idea which is on top of, and being supported by the harmony.

Hail is right in suggesting you learn some songs. Hearing, studying, and practicing songs that use arpeggios will teach you a great deal about how they can be used to create a strong melodic idea or add depth to a solid melody.

First song off the top of my head is Fur Elise the first section mixes arpeggios, short scale runs, and out of key notes to create a brilliant piece of music.

I do have a question though. Are fingerpicked chords considered arpeggios?
Si
& since I haven't stirred up shit in MT in a while...

Quote by 20Tigers
Scales don't come from chords. I'm pretty sure we had scales before we had chords, so they can't come from chords.

Just because we discovered scales first does that mean that chords automatically come from them? Did gravity not exist before Newton discovered it? The order we recognize the existence of things has no bearing on the cause/effect of things. I mean that's how we ended up with the Zeroth law of thermodynamics because the 1st law was already in place.
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
i was just being a dick lol, the scales coming from chords thing is only an applicable logic from a CST perspective (which is how most people try to use scales)

i just say fingerpicked chords are arpeggiated, gives a good grey area so it doesn't end up as a "if a tree falls in the woods" kinda thing
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by dazzzer30

Hi Dazzer,

You should try a product like Band In A Box to instantly generate backing tracks of whatever chord progressions you need. Really though, you should seriously consider getting yourself a teacher - in person is the best. Although it's easy to find all the information about scales and arpeggios on the internet this is really just the starting point. How to apply this knowledge is another story altogether.