Hi! My first post/thread
Been searching for an Echo/Delay pedal. Needs to have:
a) "slap echo" or "slap delay" ability for rockabilly styles
b) work well with blues, funk and classic rock styles
c) $100-$150 price range ~ new or used
d) simply have a good reputation for desirable sounds, good reviews & quality.

The following eight so far fit into my criteria. I'd love for Ultimate Guitar Forum
members to share which Echo/Delay pedals you've used from the below list of ten.
PLMK which pedals you'd really like and which pedals you'd buy again.
Thanks

1) Joe Satriani Vox Time Machine Delay Pedal
2) Ibanez ES2 Echo Shifter Analog Delay Pedal
3) Ibanez DDL20 Delay III Vintage 1980's Digital Delay Pedal
4) Tony Kranks Orbit Electronix - Repeat Offender Analog Delay (Echoplex TIS58 tones)
5) Boss DD-7 Digital Delay Pedal
6) Boss DD-3 Digital Delay Pedal
7) Danelectro Studio Series DTE-1 ReelTape Echo Pedal
8) DigiTech HardWire DL-8 Delay/Looper Pedal
9) TC Electronics Flashback Delay Effect Stomp Box
10 DigiTech DigiDelay

Thanks so much for your responses. Toppscore

OK. Thank you all!!!
I purchased a DigiTech Hardwire DL-8.
Got a "near new" model for $90.
It had the three "magic words" on the front: TAPE,SLAP & REVERSE

Photos are on page #2 of this thread. Had to do a lot of compaing
with the above wonderful ten enteries. Much appreciated
Last edited by Toppscore at Mar 9, 2013,
TC Electronics Flashback deserves a mention. Great delay.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
I have a AD9 its does an awesome slapback but might not wok for what else you may need it for.

I suggest what salamander said the TC. Flashback and DD7.
The Rig of Joy:
Stiff Amplification Dirthead 20w
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
Quote by cdr_salamander

Thanks, Commander Salamander!
I have seen the TC Electronics Flashback in my searches,
but had not heard about it. Will investigate.
Thank you. Toppscore
"Slapback" delay is basically just a quick 1-repeat delay. You SHOULD be able to get that out of pretty much any delay you choose just by rolling back the feedback (number of repeats) and the speed until it's the speed you want, then adjusting the level/mix until it's the volume you want.

I think the main differences will be in the TONE of the delay repeats, with analog delays tending toward darker/warmer tones, and digital models tending toward crisper tones. For blues I'd lean toward analog. For funk I'd lean toward digital. For classic rock, either...but maybe a slight analog preference.

You might prefer analog or digital for everything though. So listen to a few in your price range and choose the one(s) you like best.

TC Flashback is awesome, btw. But so is MXR Carbon Copy. And DD-3. And Aqua Puss. And most of the delay models in my M13. And the DL-8 is excellent too. And...you get the picture.

Now when you start wanting dotted 8th delays, tap tempo, delays with some modulation, reverse delays, stereo delays, etc....that's when you have to really start narrowing your choices.
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
- TC-50, Mark Five:25, Invective (soon), Vypyr 60
Quote by cdr_salamander

thanks. I posted in the lists.
The new price of $139, fits in.

Why do you like it over other delay/echo/tape pedals?
Toppscore
Quote by Grawgos
I have the DL-8. Does slap back well. I feel it tends to add some brightness/treble when run in front of the amp, but sounds great through the loop.

The DigiTech Hardwire DL-8 is high on my list at the moment.
Does the DL-8 have tone controls to lower the brightness output?
Toppscore
Quote by bburritt1
I have a AD9 its does an awesome slapback but might not wok for what else you may need it for.

I suggest what salamander said the TC. Flashback and DD7.

I notice a Maxon AD9 and an Ibanez AD9.
Same or different analog delay pedals.
Which do you prefer?

Is "AD9" or "AD-9" a name for a very famous delay/echo unit?

Toppscore
Quote by Deadpool_25
"Slapback" delay is basically just a quick 1-repeat delay. You SHOULD be able to get that out of pretty much any delay you choose just by rolling back the feedback (number of repeats) and the speed until it's the speed you want, then adjusting the level/mix until it's the volume you want.

I think the main differences will be in the TONE of the delay repeats, with analog delays tending toward darker/warmer tones, and digital models tending toward crisper tones. For blues I'd lean toward analog. For funk I'd lean toward digital. For classic rock, either...but maybe a slight analog preference.

You might prefer analog or digital for everything though. So listen to a few in your price range and choose the one(s) you like best.

TC Flashback is awesome, btw. But so is MXR Carbon Copy. And DD-3. And Aqua Puss. And most of the delay models in my M13. And the DL-8 is excellent too. And...you get the picture.

Now when you start wanting dotted 8th delays, tap tempo, delays with some modulation, reverse delays, stereo delays, etc....that's when you have to really start narrowing your choices.

Hi. Great info.

Where does the Boss DD-3 and DD-7
fit into the scheme of things.

I have seen both of them in my price range and know the Boss name.
Toppscore
You could try a Digitech Digidelay, those things are fantastic and very versatile, the only limitation could be if you want to set exact BPM specific delays, you have to either set it with the knob or the tap tempo.

Pretty much all of them will do the sound you want though, it's just a choice of price and taste. I'm guessing the "Hardwire" is the new version of the Digidelay? I mention the Digidelay because a few years ago they were getting rave reviews all over, loads of top artists using them, built like a brick so will take a lot of abuse too.

Last edited by Bigbazz at Mar 8, 2013,
Quote by Toppscore
Hi. Great info.

Where does the Boss DD-3 and DD-7
fit into the scheme of things.

I have seen both of them in my price range and know the Boss name.
Toppscore

I have a DD-3. It'll do what you want, no problem. I don't have any experience with DD-7. The DD-3 is an excellent digital delay. Joe Bonamassa has used them for a long time "with all knobs just set to noon." And you should give a listen to both digital and analog to see which you prefer. Either will work.
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
Quote by Bigbazz
You could try a Digitech Digidelay, those things are fantastic and very versatile, the only limitation could be if you want to set exact BPM specific delays, you have to either set it with the knob or the tap tempo.

Pretty much all of them will do the sound you want though, it's just a choice of price and taste. I'm guessing the "Hardwire" is the new version of the Digidelay? I mention the Digidelay because a few years ago they were getting rave reviews all over, loads of top artists using them, built like a brick so will take a lot of abuse too.

Thanks. I am going to compare the DigiTech DigiDelay
and the DigiTech Hardwire DL-8.

Please, anybody correct me if I am wrong,
but is the Hardwire line from DigiTech their "Pro" Line-up???

Thanks. Toppscore
Quote by Deadpool_25
I have a DD-3. It'll do what you want, no problem. I don't have any experience with DD-7. The DD-3 is an excellent digital delay. Joe Bonamassa has used them for a long time "with all knobs just set to noon." And you should give a listen to both digital and analog to see which you prefer. Either will work.

DeadPool ~
can you tell the difference if you A-B'd analog or digital
from comparable delay/echo pedals????

PLMK. Thanks, Toppscore
Out of that list I'd suggest the TC Electronics Flashback, its very simple and easy to use plus it has 9 types of delay including Slapback and it also features a looper, which is great for writing and jamming. I've just bought one myself, can't wait to get it. You should also check out the Line 6 DL4.

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Yes you can. Analog tends to be darker and the repeats decay as they go. Digital is crisper and the repeats don't tend to decay.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
Malekko 616? Awesome delay.

+1

Came here to suggest this. I would have bought one instead of my TC Alter Ego if I didnt want to dick around with ~7 second delay times.
Kenneth
Quote by Toppscore
DeadPool ~
can you tell the difference if you A-B'd analog or digital
from comparable delay/echo pedals????

Quote by SimplyBen
Yes you can. Analog tends to be darker and the repeats decay as they go. Digital is crisper and the repeats don't tend to decay.

This.

I really like the DD-3's crisp tone. I was A/Bing it against some other stuff in the store and I was instantly sold on it. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. With that said, my M13 does an excellent job at both types (and a buttload more beside delays).
Guitars

Amps
Quote by SimplyBen
Malekko 616? Awesome delay.

+1 they are a good bang for your buck. i think i paid $80 shipped off of a guy on TGP.

+.75 i like the swollen pickle a lot, but i wasn't sure if it had enough delay time for whatever i would deal with (IIRC 300ish ms opposed to 600 on the malekko and (IIRC 600 off of the carbon copy as well).

carbon copy's aren't bad i played for a long time when i was looking for delays. i wasn't totally set and blindly ordered the 616, and i am glad i took that gamble. i would say if i ever found a carbon copy significantly cheaper i would pick it up.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Mar 9, 2013,