Page 1 of 2
So I'm looking to upgrade my gear. At the moment all I have is a Squier Stratocaster and pathetic little £80 amp! Can anyone give me any tips on making some smart investments with the budget I have?
Yeah check out the sticky at the top of this page and answer those questions and then we can help.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Yeah check out the sticky at the top of this page and answer those questions and then we can help.

My budget is roughly £900 ($1355.85). My favorite guitarists who I want a similar tone to would be Hendrix, David Gilmour and Stevie Ray Vaughan. I would rather have new gear but I can settle for used stuff if it's in good condition or a bargain.

I will be practicing mostly at home but gigging on occasion, especially after I leave school. The closest city to me is either Southampton or Bournemouth (in Hampshire). Last but not least, my current gear is a Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster and a Roland Micro Cube (that I have to share).
I would urge you to go used.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
I would urge you to go used.

Ok, are there any good websites that are centered around buying used gear or should I just use eBay and Amazon?
Guitar forum classifieds, eBay and Gumtree are usually worth a browse.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Guitar forum classifieds, eBay and Gumtree are usually worth a browse.

Thanks for the tip!
Possibly a used USA Fender Strat and maybe a Marshall Class 5 if you're after a combo?
Others could probably think of something better, but that's off the top of my head.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Some sort of Fender/Marshally amp?
^Any chance he can get a plexi clone at that price?

@tom: New avataar I see

I've looked on eBay and other online stores but I can't find any Plexi Clones. Which option out of either getting a new amp or a new guitar would affect my tone more?
Last edited by Sonic Box at Mar 7, 2013,
i'd probably get a traynor ycv50b or fender blues deluxe for the amp. you could probably pick up an MIJ tokai strat if you really cared, though i'm sure the classic vibe is fine (though if you're gigging it probably wouldn't hurt to have a spare). whatever you have left you could spend on pedals. tubescreamer clone would be the obvious thing (there are a bunch of cheap options from e.g. joyo or mooer) for srv, i guess a big muff would be worth a look too for gilmour, and a fuzz face (or maybe octavia) for hendrix. wah wouldn't hurt either for hendrix and srv.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If I was you, I would focus on an amp first, especially if you're currently sharing the amp. Those Classic Vibes are supposed to be pretty decent (not tried one myself, but I guess you know) and Strats are perfect for Gilmour/Hendrix/etc. Amp-wise, I'm more of a metal guy, but for that music I'd take a look at Fenders for sure.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'd probably get a traynor ycv50b or fender blues deluxe for the amp.

I checked out both of those amps and they seem really good! I've been reading some other threads and a lot of people recommend the Fender Champ XD for a "bedroom" noise level (which is what I'm looking for). Do you think this would be a better option to avoid disturbing my neighbours or would you stick by the Traynor and Blues Deluxe?
Fender amp, mexican strat and an old Ibanez TS808. All you'll ever need.

Although if you're just playing at home get a Line 6 pod or something. No point buying something made to fill a stage, waste of money.

Also those classic vibe squiers are really nice.
Last edited by Andalus at Mar 7, 2013,
Quote by Sonic Box
I checked out both of those amps and they seem really good! I've been reading some other threads and a lot of people recommend the Fender Champ XD for a "bedroom" noise level (which is what I'm looking for). Do you think this would be a better option to avoid disturbing my neighbours or would you stick by the Traynor and Blues Deluxe?

I use an XD. Great for home use, but I wouldn't try and gig it.

The Traynor or BD have master volume so shouldn't be an issue.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Seriously, Gumtree...

COUNTLESS Strats on there for great prices!!!

Also, I'd agree with a fender Blues and a Tubescreamer.

All fit nicely in your budget
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Say what you will, but I use GC as a source of used goods alot. I like being able to return it if they give me a broken item.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
The Squier could be upgraded a bit instead of springing for another guitar. Otherwise a Mexican Strat would work to save some money. You could get an American Strat, but that'll eat up enough money that it could impact your amp choice.

Hot Rod Deluxe will keep you well within budget. Get it used and grab a few pedals right away and a few more over time.

- Tube Screamer style
- Delay
- Fuzz
- Univibe
- Octavia

Or just get a good MFX like M13, M9, or similar. They pair very well with HRD.
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
- TC-50, Mark Five:25, Invective (soon), Vypyr 60
Quote by Sonic Box
I've looked on eBay and other online stores but I can't find any Plexi Clones. Which option out of either getting a new amp or a new guitar would affect my tone more?

Amp. Amp is prolly 60-80% of your tone.
You could get a 18W Plexi Clone for about £5-600 from the right amp builder.

But let's say a Mex Strat for your guitar, which runs at about £400, leaves £500 for the amp. although honestly, the classic vibe Strat is a really nice instrument. Don't be put off by the Squier name on the headstock, if you like the guitar I'd say keep it, it would really open options on the amp.

Maybe something like the VHT Standard 18, although you wouldn't be able to test it before buying due to lack of UK stockists, but if you ordered from Thomann (http://www.thomann.de/gb/vht_standard_18_combo.htm) you could return it within 30 days (I think it's 30) even for a reason like "I didn't like it"
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by GABarrie
You could get a 18W Plexi Clone for about £5-600 from the right amp builder.

But let's say a Mex Strat for your guitar, which runs at about £400, leaves £500 for the amp. although honestly, the classic vibe Strat is a really nice instrument. Don't be put off by the Squier name on the headstock, if you like the guitar I'd say keep it, it would really open options on the amp.

Maybe something like the VHT Standard 18, although you wouldn't be able to test it before buying due to lack of UK stockists, but if you ordered from Thomann (http://www.thomann.de/gb/vht_standard_18_combo.htm) you could return it within 30 days (I think it's 30) even for a reason like "I didn't like it"

After hearing many people's opinions, I think the Classic Vibe is a pretty amazing guitar when you consider the price. It's like you say, if I keep it I can broaden my choice for a good amp.

What I'm going to do is keep the guitar and maybe replace the bridge for a Callaham tremolo or get some Lollar pickups, just to improve the playability of it. Then I might get a compression pedal (for David Gilmour solos) or a tubescreamer and just spend the rest on a good amp.
Might be stating the obvious but be extremely careful with gumtree. You never think anything bad will happen to you until it does. I made that mistake in January this year and am still clearing up the mess...
Well if we have £900 to spend on an amp that changes things... You looking to gig?
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Fender Blues Deluxe, MIM (fat?) strat and an Ibanez Tubescreamer.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
I made that mistake in January this year and am still clearing up the mess...

Oh god, what happened?

Quote by GABarrie
Well if we have £900 to spend on an amp that changes things... You looking to gig?

It's difficult to say, I'm not gigging lately because I'm busy with exams and things. But I'm sure after I leave school and start attending music college in September, I'll have more time to do that.

Quote by ProphetToJables
Fender Blues Deluxe, MIM (fat?) strat and an Ibanez Tubescreamer.

I've decided that a tubescreamer is pretty much an essential for the tone I'm after. As for the Blues Deluxe, the general consensus is that I can't go wrong with any type of Fender amp so I'm going to look for a second-hand one since that should be within my price range.

As for the MIM stratocaster, I want one but it will be tough to find one that I can afford and try out before I buy it.
Oh god don't ask WholelottaIzzy about his guitar

I would say that Mims are generally good players, you might be safe to order it blind. But other members amy disagree.

EDIT:
My Fender BDRI should arrive tomorrow and I'll be playing a MIM strat through a TS9, so i'll let you know how it sounds.
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by ProphetToJables
Oh god don't ask WholelottaIzzy about his guitar

I would say that Mims are generally good players, you might be safe to order it blind. But other members amy disagree.

EDIT:
My Fender BDRI should arrive tomorrow and I'll be playing a MIM strat through a TS9, so i'll let you know how it sounds.

Ok I appreciate that.
+1 to the Traynor YCV50. It should cover everything for you nicely.

I have a MIM strat as well a Tubescreamer clone (Digitech Bad Monkey). Like all guitars, you really need to play first.

Quote by Viban
Say what you will, but I use GC as a source of used goods alot. I like being able to return it if they give me a broken item.

I did NOT know they had Guitar Centers in the UK.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 8, 2013,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

I have a MIM strat as well a Tubescreamer clone (Digitech Bad Monkey). Like all guitars, you really need to play first.

I did know they had Guitar Centers in the UK.

Well of all people I probably will need to play one before I buy it the most because I've never had much experience at playing different guitars. I like the Bad Monkey, I was thinking about getting one because it's so much cheaper than a TS and Phil X sure makes it sound good haha.
the BDRi would probably be ideal, you can actually get it new for about £750 from Thomann (don't believe it when it say £716, always add 5% because they charge you in euros and your bank takes an extra fee over the exchange rate) but that doesn't leave a lot for guitar upgrades.
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Quote by GABarrie
the BDRi would probably be ideal, you can actually get it new for about £750 from Thomann (don't believe it when it say £716, always add 5% because they charge you in euros and your bank takes an extra fee over the exchange rate) but that doesn't leave a lot for guitar upgrades.

There's currently one on Gumtree going for £450 with "sensible" offers considered. Seems like a pretty good deal and the person selling it lives close enough for me to drive there and pick it up.
Best way of using Gumtree!

Make sure to take your axe and ask to plug it in and try it out because handing over your cash just in case, I've had people buy staff and walk out of my house without even taking it out of the box sometimes. I could have just put a brick in it and they'd be out of pocket the moment they step off my driveway with no buyer protection.
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Quote by GABarrie
Best way of using Gumtree!

Make sure to take your axe and ask to plug it in and try it out because handing over your cash just in case, I've had people buy staff and walk out of my house without even taking it out of the box sometimes. I could have just put a brick in it and they'd be out of pocket the moment they step off my driveway with no buyer protection.

Will do! So if all is as it should be, you think I should go for it?
I think it's a good price, especially if you can get a lower offer accepted, bartering is always fun
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Really dissapointed with Thomann recently, they're prices seem to go up and up every day. Although it worked out well for the Bugera I bought and traded for a profit.

Gumtree is great, I've both bought and sold on it and never had problems with it.
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
their euro prices are staying the same AFAIK.

But the value of the pound is currently plummeting on the exchange market
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

I did NOT know they had Guitar Centers in the UK.

I don't think they do. They don't even offer shipping on a whole load of stuff to the UK.
Well I emailed the guy about the Blues Deluxe and he said he has withdrawn the sale! That really sucks because I was getting pretty hyped up over that amp haha. I'm going to keep searching for another second-hand BDRI, but just in case there may not be any that come up for weeks can anyone recommend me another decent amp within my budget?

I've been looking at a Fender Blues Junior III and I really like it. In case things don't go well with finding a BD, would this amp be suitable if I upgrade my strat pups to Bare Knuckles?
bare knuckles may be a bit punchy...

for the styles/artists you like you probably want something warm and vintagy. Purely in bang for buck you can't go wrong with the Iron Gear Classics series (http://axetec.co.uk/guitar_parts_uk_094.htm) easily as good as/better than DiMarzios and SDs, and clearly cheaper.

the Blues Jr is a great amp with a mediocre speaker, and would probably require a speaker swap, one of the best and most popular options would be Eminence's Cannabis Rex.

Oh, and be aware that the BJr may not provide you with gig volumes without micing up if you started gigging
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Last edited by GABarrie at Mar 8, 2013,
I would urge you to spend a small ammount on upgrading your guitar (maybe a bridge pickup like a Seymour Duncan JB Jr), as Squiers can often be really great guitars, then spend the rest of your money on a decent amp, a decent lead and perhaps some kind of effects pedal you might want.

Going from a Squier to a Mexican Strat is quite pointless in my eyes, get a really good amp and just upgrade your pickups.
Last edited by Bigbazz at Mar 8, 2013,
Page 1 of 2