I have a Vintage V100 , but I think it might need some upgrades . The vintage tulip tuners are buzzing really bad , but there is also alot of fretbuzz on the whole neck ( this can be solved with a setup ) .The electonics can be better too .

I was thinking of upgrading the whole guitar ( electronics and hardware ) . But then I realised that I can afford a Gibson Les Paul Studio Tribute 50's Humbucker if i sell the guitar .

That being said , should I upgrade the cheaper guitar or get the Gibson ?

I play lots of Randy Rhoads stuff , but also Black Sabbath , Led Zeppelin and many other bands so I'm looking for a more metal-ish tone , but I still want to have a good clean tone and a crunchy tone too . Of course the guitar is not the only one that shapes my tone . I'm using a Zoom G5 straight into the PA for gigs and at home I use my Mustang I .

Feel free to suggest other guitars , upgrade ideas etc
Gibson.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
My advice would be to get the Gibson rather than modify your existing guitar, its lot less work and hassle, especially since your guitar isn't that great to begin with.
I SEE A BAD MOON RISING
I SEE TROUBLE ON THE WAY
Quote by DylanHendrix
My advice would be to get the Gibson rather than modify your existing guitar, its lot less work and hassle, especially since your guitar isn't that great to begin with.

It's true but there's a lot of waiting to sell the guitar . So it's just about wich one would be a better choice.
Assuming you aren't ordering one blind off the internet, Gibson every time.
Quote by Roc8995
Assuming you aren't ordering one blind off the internet, Gibson every time.

Mmmnope ... No guitar shops in my town . It's kinda difficult for me to go and test one in a shop .
Sooo...a taste for harder rock and a budget of $600-800? No stores nearby?

You might be able to find a good new or used DBZ, Malden, Fernandes or Reverend in that price range.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I haven't tried the 50's tribute, but i tried the 70's tribute and it was awful especially for the money. I'm not a Gibson hater quite the opposite, my main guitar is a Gibson Les Paul Traditional.
Yeah that's why you've got to try the exact one you're going to buy. Most of the 50s and 60s tributes I've played have been fantastic but there have been a few that were awful. You wouldn't want to end up with one of those.
Gibson. It's not even comparable.

Try before you buy though.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 7, 2013,
Quote by RockGuitarist09
I haven't tried the 50's tribute, but i tried the 70's tribute and it was awful especially for the money. I'm not a Gibson hater quite the opposite, my main guitar is a Gibson Les Paul Traditional.

Are there any other good Gibsons in the same kind of price range ? Or idk , maybe other les pauls from other brands . Are the top level Epiphones better than the low level Gibsons ?
Gibson. Seriously, 7 days on eBay is nothing compared to the realisation that you could have had a much better guitar for the price.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
I vote Gibson as well, however maybe you will still want to change the pickups. I had these two in my SG when I bought it, and I absolutely hated them. However, this is based on opinion, maybe you'll like them.

Basically, the LP will still politely ask for an upgrade. It might not be necessary, and it's still miles ahead of the Vintage, but be aware that in the long run you might also want to upgrade it. Hell, all that's left from the factory on my SG is the wood and the switch toggle (and the frets)
Quote by BucurAdrian23
Are there any other good Gibsons in the same kind of price range ? Or idk , maybe other les pauls from other brands . Are the top level Epiphones better than the low level Gibsons ?

I would recommend at least a Gibson studio. The epiphone electronics are known to be a bit crappy. But as others have mentioned try the guitar out first, because Gibson's quality and feel vary wildly.
Look at it this way: Have you always wanted to own a Vintage LP copy? I'll bet the answer is no. Have you always wanted to own a Gibson Les Paul? If you bought a copy, there's a fair chance the answer here is yes.

Gibson LP Studio's are excellent guitars, but trying them first is defiinitely good advice - and I speak from personal experience on that one. I have the Gibson LP Studio in faded brown and love it. I actually prefer it to the Gibson LP Standard I owned a couple of years ago. The standard was good, and technically it's the better guitar, but I just didn't fall for it in the same way I fell for my studio.

This is one of those situations where there isn't a reason, it just is.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Look at it this way: Have you always wanted to own a Vintage LP copy? I'll bet the answer is no. Have you always wanted to own a Gibson Les Paul? If you bought a copy, there's a fair chance the answer here is yes.

I, too, say Gibson. I also wanted to say that this is probably the most helpful quote I've read here. If I could go back and redo my rig, this is exactly what I would want someone to say to me (substitute Fender for Gibson, but the same sentiment).
OffsetOffset
Quote by GaryBillington

Gibson LP Studio's are excellent guitars, but trying them first is defiinitely good advice - and I speak from personal experience on that one. I have the Gibson LP Studio in faded brown and love it. I actually prefer it to the Gibson LP Standard I owned a couple of years ago. The standard was good, and technically it's the better guitar, but I just didn't fall for it in the same way I fell for my studio.

This is one of those situations where there isn't a reason, it just is.

Yes , my dream is to own a gibson les paul , but to spend money just for the "Gibson" written on the headstock is not what i'm looking for . That's why I asked . I wanted to know if the Studio is a good guitar or just a bad guitar with Gibson's name on it .
They're hit or miss, like any other guitar. You aren't just paying for a name, there is an element of quality with the name, and likely more so than the Vintage, even with upgrades.
OffsetOffset
Quote by BucurAdrian23
Yes , my dream is to own a gibson les paul , but to spend money just for the "Gibson" written on the headstock is not what i'm looking for . That's why I asked . I wanted to know if the Studio is a good guitar or just a bad guitar with Gibson's name on it .

Some stink, some are great. You sound like you really want a Gibson. In the end, you have to make the decision: mod the Vintage or sell it and buy a Gibson Studio
I SEE A BAD MOON RISING
I SEE TROUBLE ON THE WAY
Last edited by DylanHendrix at Mar 8, 2013,
Quote by SteveHOC
I, too, say Gibson. I also wanted to say that this is probably the most helpful quote I've read here. If I could go back and redo my rig, this is exactly what I would want someone to say to me (substitute Fender for Gibson, but the same sentiment).

Thanks

The beauty of that philosophy is it works for everything. You might substitute Fender, another thread you might substitute Vox or Marshall. In another forum you might be talking cars, motorbikes or anything else - at the end of the day if someone has always wanted something, they will never be fully satisfied with a copy of it.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Vintage V100s are good for the money.

Gibson Studios are good.

In a direct comparison, that qualifier is vital.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
There's another problem . Do the studio models have carved tops like the standard models ? Or are they less carved ? I know it's just esthetics but I don't like les pauls without carved tops at all .
Quote by BucurAdrian23
There's another problem . Do the studio models have carved tops like the standard models ? Or are they less carved ? I know it's just esthetics but I don't like les pauls without carved tops at all .

Yes, they are carved. The LP junior ones are not, though.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
Yes, they are carved. The LP junior ones are not, though.

I noticed they were carved . It's just that the carve seems not as deep as the standards . I hope it's just an illusion .
Quote by BucurAdrian23
I noticed they were carved . It's just that the carve seems not as deep as the standards . I hope it's just an illusion .

In my experience it is just an illusion. I've owned both standard & studio & they were both as close to the same shape as possible.

Remember, the Studio isn't built to be inferior to the Standard. It's built to provide all the same tonal qualities, it just doesn't have the flashy presentation like a nice flametop & binding etc. Most of the important parts like pickups & hardware are exactly the same.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Looks like I'm going for the Gibson . Now I have to struggle to sell the Vintage . Thank you all for the advice !