In a couple of weeks I have to audition to be accepted to the school of music at the college I will be transferring to. I'm singing an old folk song (the head of the music department there and my current voice teacher both recommended that I do a folk song) called "Long Time Ago". The song isn't difficult, I've tackled much harder arrangements when I was in advanced choir.

The problem is, I haven't sang in front of anyone (like an actual performance, not just goofing around or singing in a lesson) since I was in choir in high school, which was two years ago. On top of that, in choir I was always with a group of people. This will be my first solo (aside from piano accompaniment) performance. There will only be three people watching me (my future teachers should I make it in), but I'm still nervous.

My teacher said they won't be expecting anything perfect, that they just want to see where I am musically with my voice or whatever. Has anyone else here had to go through this and/or know what they'll be looking for exactly?
My guess is that they're going to be looking for things like tuning, posture, and enunciation. I think I just performed Long Time Ago at a music festival last week with my highschool's chamber choir haha.
Start singing in front of people now...pick a good friend to perform in front of that wont judge you...then find a few more. It will be all good dude
They'll probably be looking for good basics and also if the see any potential. They'll accept someone who doenst sing great, but could become incredible sooner than someone who's pretty good already, but doesnt seem to be able to grow much further.
-Ernie Ball Music Man JP6
-Ibanez UV777
-Fender Lonestar Deluxe
-Ibanez GRG 270b
-Yamaha F350
-Ibanez AE105TY

-Bugera 6262 head
-Bugera 212 cab
-Marshall Valvestate 8040

-Line 6 pod x3 live
-Line 6 guitarport
-Vox Ice 9 Overdrive
Oh and this also counts as an audition for their two choirs. They're going to have me sight read a measure of music after my song.
Quote by jrenkert
How is your solfege?

I'm usually fine. I've played guitar during a music fest at my current college (not really on stage, but out near all of the "activities" where a lot of people would gather for the free food) several times and been fine and I was never nervous or messed up when I was in choir in high school. There are still random times when I'll get shaky though. Like I won't even be nervous, but my body will be if that makes any sense.

EDIT: I'm assuming you meant self ego or something along the lines of my confidence.
oh my

But 10 points for the answer nonetheless. It was very brave You have more guts than me though. I could never sing to anyone as it was too naked. Needed a guitar between me and the audience to break the stare fest. Anway, good luck
Last edited by evolucian at Mar 7, 2013,
Lol lol lol

nope its a system of singing using syllables for scale degrees as described in the link his jazzness kindly posted

I understand about the shakes, I get them too from time to time but I'm not actually nervous.

Idk if you've got the time to get down to the solfeging, but it truly is a fabulous tool for sight singing and its a major plus for music schools. I am a music teacher and this is what we use sooooooo learn it.∞
It's an understandable nervousness, and there is in my experience, as it is to many others I know, no better help but experience itself. In that manner, asking to perform for friends, family, and the like is a great suggestion. Preferably more than once, simply because you have to get used to the tension. This does not grow overnight, but every attempt helps a bit more.

That being said, you needn't worry about your nerves. These people teach music for a reason, and if you have what they seek in a person then they will see right through you. They have experience in this, simply because they have to do it almost daily, and they went through the exact same things you did in one way or another. Don't worry about it, which may sound strange, but this is exactly how it is. Your nerves will have nothing to do with being admitted or not, positively or negatively.

Just prepare yourself and your music as well as you can, try to follow a certain routine every time you practice or perform your pieces, so that you gradually create a better comfort zone for yourself. You'll do fine, trust me. Even if you make mistakes, they will know what you meant to play instead.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
The best way to not be nervous for an audition, IMO, is to be super well prepared. If you go in knowing that you are ready, and that they have no reason to not accept you, then I doubt that you will be over-worried. Just keep practicing.

Also, find out if you need to sight-sing. I had to do that at my auditions, even though I was an instrumentalist, so you will probably have to that also. A good way to practice sight-singing is to just go on IMSLP, pick a random score that you are familiar with, and solfege the melody. Then pick something you don't know and sing that.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
I recently auditioned and got accepted in UNT (for jazz guitar) and my only advise is to know your tune really really well and just be confident and relaxed. Like other users said, try to perform in public and just keep calm and things will go ok.
I also had to sing back things when I auditioned for scholarship. The person played a series of notes on the piano and I had to sing them back which can get pretty difficult depending on intervals and how flexible your voice is
Well, I've learned a new word lol. Yeah I've never heard of that before, I'm pretty sure none of my teacher's have ever mentioned it.
Well the other advice is fine for addressing your stage fright. Im just wondering why youre taking up music professionally if you havent played in public before nor seem to have tried to.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Definitely try to perform in as front of as manhy people as possible before then. Friends, family anyone that will listen! Also, busking in town is a good way to overcome stage fright
You should go to the trashiest karaoke bar and sing one of your favourite song or something.

No matter how bad you think you did you'll never be as bad as that drunk guy
Without a good harmonic knowledge, one cannot expect to become a great jazz soloist ~ Horace Silver

Quote by dietermoreno
Is it possible for 6 string guitar to tune lower than drop C and scales still work?
Quote by AlanHB
Well the other advice is fine for addressing your stage fright. Im just wondering why youre taking up music professionally if you havent played in public before nor seem to have tried to.

I said that I have in my original post <.<
Quote by gunsnroses#1
I said that I have in my original post <.<

What I mean to say is that you performed as part of a choir 2 years ago and you havent sought out opportunities to perform since that time.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by gunsnroses#1
In a couple of weeks I have to audition to be accepted to the school of music at the college I will be transferring to. I'm singing an old folk song (the head of the music department there and my current voice teacher both recommended that I do a folk song) called "Long Time Ago". The song isn't difficult, I've tackled much harder arrangements when I was in advanced choir.

The problem is, I haven't sang in front of anyone (like an actual performance, not just goofing around or singing in a lesson) since I was in choir in high school, which was two years ago. On top of that, in choir I was always with a group of people. This will be my first solo (aside from piano accompaniment) performance. There will only be three people watching me (my future teachers should I make it in), but I'm still nervous.

My teacher said they won't be expecting anything perfect, that they just want to see where I am musically with my voice or whatever. Has anyone else here had to go through this and/or know what they'll be looking for exactly?

Usually anxiety is simply imagining things turning out bad, or things turning out how you don't want them to.

Try imagining going out to 15 minutes after you absolutely nail the audition. Imagine seeing the teachers face looking really impressed with your performance and them congratulating you on your brilliant performance. You may feel absolutely ecstatic! There's no anxiety there either is there because you performed perfectly?

As long as you imagine things turning out perfectly, and hold your focus on that outcome, you will be pleasantly surprised at how that old anxiety just disappears. All that will be in it's place is probably a nice little feeling of excited anticipation is the form of "butterflies in the stomach".

Let me know how you get on :-)
Be the best
Want to be a part of a research study on performance anxiety? Get in touch!