Hey all, first post for me in UGC. Seems like a great forum, i've gotten lots of valuable info and opinions here so I thought i'd drop a line for the good of my curiosity - and all of us guitar kindergarteners (kinderguitarteners?).

It's a vague question, but IN general, does pickup style or tonewood (wood choice on neck as well) have a bigger impact on your tone? For the sake of variable elimination, assume we're talking about the same model of guitar and including passive pickups only.
By far pickups.

If tonewood DOES make a difference, it's probably the smallest factor.
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Jackson Stars Kelly "Aiko"
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
EVH 5153
Pickups.

^ also that
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I think the wood of an electric really has a very small if any effect on a guitars sound. Considering pickups can only pickup magnetic disturbances, and wood is not magnetic at all, the body of the guitar can vibrate however it wants to but none of it except for maybe what is picked up by the string (sort of like feedback) will be picked up and amplified.
There should be no shit storm here, anybody who has played more than a few guitars through a few amps will know that wood types make very little difference in electric guitars, compared to other factors such as pickups and the like.

Don't make the mistake so many newbies do, getting so into different woods you start talking complete crap. The amp makes the majority of your sound and is the first port of call for tweaking your sound.
Quote by Wesbanez
Don't make the mistake so many newbies do, getting so into different woods you start talking complete crap.

said the guy with an exotic woods build.
Quote by gregs1020
said the guy with an exotic woods build.

Pointless comment; I make no mention on the sonic qualities of anything in my thread. I'm using exotic woods for purely aesthetic reasons
The amp...

But yeah, pickups.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Well.... That escalated quickly lol.

I'm pretty sure that comment was a joke dude but whatever.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I.
Love.
This.
Thread.
Topic.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Wesbanez
O rly?

Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Wesbanez
O rly?

I see the humorectomy was a success...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Wesbanez
i'm sorrry, i'm on my period and my sense of humor needed a re-tube and bias.

no worries.

Quote by Wesbanez
O rly?

This is you only you're not cute and fluffy.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster