I'm looking to get a Marshall 1936 2x12 cab used, and a few months ago when I didn't have the money, there were loads. Now all I see is the JCM900 version of the 1936 cab. What's the difference between the current 1936 and the JCM900 versions? I hear the 900 is made of worse wood or something, but surely they can't sound much worse when they have the same speakers in them?
from what i heard, in the last 18 months or so marshall reverted to plywood for its 2x12 cabs (and, again from what i hear, they haven't been plywood before that since the 80s).

So yeah i'd try to get a plywood one. in my limited experience, it makes a difference.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So, are you saying any 1936 cab will do? I see plenty of the JCM900 ones that can be had £200 or less, which I believe is pretty good as they're about £320 new minimum.
Quote by Dave_Mc
from what i heard, in the last 18 months or so marshall reverted to plywood for its 2x12 cabs (and, again from what i hear, they haven't been plywood before that since the 80s).

So yeah i'd try to get a plywood one. in my limited experience, it makes a difference.

what did they use besides birch ply?
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious

MDF
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
MDF

And particle board.

I did some research on this, it seems that the cabs that are marked as 800 are Birch Play and some of the VERY EARLY 900 cabs are too, but they changed them to particle board and MDF after like a year to two years of the 900 cab being in production.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
And particle board.

I did some research on this, it seems that the cabs that are marked as 800 are Birch Play and some of the VERY EARLY 900 cabs are too, but they changed them to particle board and MDF after like a year to two years of the 900 cab being in production.

MDF is particle board
I believe only the baffle of the 1936 was Birch plywood
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
MDF is particle board
I believe only the baffle of the 1936 was Birch plywood

Sorry, it's chipboard I'm getting confused with... If I'm wrong, please correct me. I learn more that way.

Was it? I thought the entire thing was Birch Ply untill a certian point. Then it became the baffle?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Lavatain
So, are you saying any 1936 cab will do? I see plenty of the JCM900 ones that can be had £200 or less, which I believe is pretty good as they're about £320 new minimum.

no i'm saying to get one of the newer ones which are plywood.

Quote by gumbilicious

yeah mdf or particle board as they said.

i think the back panel might still be mdf/particleboard. not sure on that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Okay, cheers guys, thanks for the info. I assumed the older ones were made of worse material. I'll stick it out 'till I see a newer 1936 as I'm in no hurry
nah i think the very old 800 series ones (and maybe the earliest 900s) as fishesth said were plywood, but then the ones after that until very recently weren't.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I bought a new (at the time) Marshall 1960A cab towards the end of 2004 and it's plywood.
^ i think the (high end) 4x12s have always been plywood
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ i think the (high end) 4x12s have always been plywood

Yep, but I seem to remember hearing that even the 1960 has been made with an MDF back panel the last few years. The only Marshall cabs I really like are the 1960TV and the MF 280/400.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah mdf or particle board as they said.

i think the back panel might still be mdf/particleboard. not sure on that.

no kidding. didn't know that. thx for that guys

that kinda disturbs me.

i have run into a few manufacturers that use some kinda particle board for the back plate. not the place where i'd like to cut corners.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
^ just to clarify- i don't know if mdf is the same as particleboard or not. I just say both to cover my bases, to imply "cheap do-not-want stuff that's not plywood or solid wood"

just looked up on wiki... on the mdf disambiguation page it says mdf is a type of particleboard; on the mdf page it says it's stronger and much denser than particle board.

so

Quote by Robbgnarly
Yep, but I seem to remember hearing that even the 1960 has been made with an MDF back panel the last few years.

yeah that may be so. i think i've heard that too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You know when a cab is made from MDF, it weights the same as your house. I used to have a 5150 cab (which I'm fairly sure was MDF) and that thing felt like it was double the weight of my Marshall! It also sounded really boxxy, didn't breath the same way the Marshall cab did.

That said I'm fairly sure there are far far better cabs than Marshalls, perhaps the old ones were great but I remember turning up at a studio to record and the producer convinced me within 2mins of comparing to use his old vintage Sola Sound cab, and hearing my mates Zilla cab, along with my other guitarists Cornford 2x12 they are just in a different league of quality and it shows.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Mar 9, 2013,
^^Peavey 5150 cabs are solid Plywood.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
^^Peavey 5150 cabs are solid Plywood.

Do they have a lead inner lining? Couldn't believe how heavy that thing was, It came with my 5150 when I bought it, I already had the Marshall so sold the Peavey cab to my other guitarist in my band at the time, he then bought a stereo rack (JMP-1 + Marshall 20/20 power) amp and needed a stereo cab so I ended up having to use the 5150 cab.

Never was a big fan of it, tonnes of mids in the sound and it cut through the mix like a shark with a laser beam, but it sounded boxxy and too dead for my liking, hard to explain... The worst thing about it was it was soo bloody heavy to carry and the carry handles were made of steel and dug into your hands, ripped them to bits.

Always assumed it was made of MDF, but I won't argue, I never looked at the specs for it and didn't know that! Clearly much much higher density ply than what Marshall are using in their cabs, for it to have been so heavy.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Yeah Peavey cabs are built as good as Mesa/Orange, but they put crap speakers in them.
I had a Peavey 4x12 cab with Black Widows 10+ yrs ago and it was a really good sounding cab, dont remember why I sold it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate