Can someone point me to a link where the differences between all 3 major types of Strats are outlined? I am not interested in placebo types of qualitative comments and urban legends. I want more than "they just play better". I want to know exactly what is different about these 3 guitars. On paper. They always seem to have the same pickups. Wood of the body? Tuning keys? I've always wanted to know this, so now I am asking!

$229 Squire
$229 Squier Standard Stratocaster Special Edition Electric Guitar

$499 Mex/Jap?
$499 Fender Standard Stratocater HSS Electric Guitar

$1199 USA
$1199Fender American Standard Stratocaster HSS Electric Guitar with SKB Case
Last edited by MissingSomethin at Mar 7, 2013,
Yes, really.
1978 Les Paul Custom Sunburst
2001 USA Strat (Hot & Cool Rails)
Effects: Boss GT-6 with Tech-21 Power Amp

Every gets better as you go up.

Better quality wood, hardware, quality control, made in places with more expensive labour, more prestige, better resale value....

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Can you tell me how the wood is different in each of the 3 models?

How is the hardware better? Please tell me how the cheap hardware is not good, or how the expensive hardware is better.
Are you home schooled?

They use better quality wood, Alder is a species of wood with many different sub species, of various quality. Shit guitars will have bodies made of several prices, up to 7 different pieces isn't uncommon. The Squiers are made of cheaper wood with multi part bodies. The USA models ten to be 2 to 3 piece bodies using better, usually more resonant woods.

The hardware... Same as the woods, cheaper materials, less functional and practical. So cheap Squiers might use cheaper material plastic nuts as opposed to bone, tusq or roller nuts. The trems will be of lesser metals, so screws and knife edges will wear out and frets could be finished sloppily on MIC models compared to better materials and time spent on each individual guitars.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by MissingSomethin
Can you tell me how the wood is different in each of the 3 models?

How is the hardware better? Please tell me how the cheap hardware is not good, or how the expensive hardware is better.

Erm...

Better quality wood looks/feels/sounds better.

Better hardware doesn't break easily, the pickups are more clear, bridge doesn't detune easily, locking tuners... lock the tuning...

Dude, Tom is right, this is REALLY a no brainer.

You get what you pay for. Pay cheap, get a cheap guitar. Pay a lot, get a quality guitar. Very simple concept...
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Jackson Stars Kelly "Aiko"
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
EVH 5153
[forbidden link]?
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Mar 7, 2013,
It says in your sig you have one. Have you checked the box for its system specs?
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

It will add up to things like being able to hold tune better, less prone to warping, better (more colorful, more durable, more resonant) finishes, better ergonomics, pickups that sound better...all around, all things that make a better experience for the player and his audience.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
The big thing that I have noticed is the sound of the pickups. I play a MIM strat, but have played squires and MIA. The pickups sound much more refined as you go up in price. I have found that the pickups in my MIM can get very thin, even for a single coil. THe MIA have a much richer sound out of the pickups. Personally, I think that this makes it much more pleasent to listen to, especially when soloing on the upper frets. I have also noticed that the higher you go in price, the better it stays in tune.
The only similarities might be weight and feel. But thats where it stops.
Hardware, electronics, wood, over all finish is much better that higher you go.
There is no difference. Every Classic Vibe Strat is just about as good as a USA Custom Shop.

No sarcasm, I swear.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
This sounds like a load of bull. I am not convinced there is any difference whatsoever, and I have played all 3. They also sounds exactly the same when played through a distortion pedal. It seems like no one here can provide any evidence or facts. Just religion. Just old wive's tales and rumors that spread b/c people keep perpetuating them.

This reminds me a LOT of the bullshit wine snob industry experiments where they can't even tell the difference b/w $10 shitwine if you put it in a blank bottle with a different $200 label. Can anyone here consistently pick out the USA vs. MIM Strat in a blind taste test, with the label covered?

I did some research on that SamAsh site.
Here are the specs that all 3 have in common:
All 3 have bolt-on neck.
All have 5-way switch
All 3 have Maple neck.
All 3 have "S-S-S" pickup config.

Squire has shorter scale length. (Does that really make it worth 20% of the USA?)

The $499 Strat one only has 21 frets. (Does that really make it worth 50% of the USA? No, b/c the $229 Squire has 22 frets.)

All have different tuners ($1199 has chrome tuners. Are they really worth $700?)

$229 Squire has Agathis body.
Both the $499 and $1199 use Alder body. So, better wood is mythlie.

Alnico vs. ceramic: If the pickups are really that different, why don't people just buy a MIM Strat and install $200 worth of new pickups, and still be $500 ahead of the game?

So, I don't really see a big difference in the specs for the MIJ/MIM vs. USA.
What are you getting for another $700? Paying for their USA pension? $700 Tuners? Just overpaying for brand names and marketing?

Does anyone have any actual evidence or data or facts that prove the the claims they "if you pay more, it's just better". As you know, paying $3000 for a purse with a logo doesn't make it actually any better than a $200 purse.

Where does Fender claim that the USA Strat uses better Alder wood than the $499 Strat? And what does it even mean? Let's face it, when you pump your sound into a distortion pedal, the wood doesn't make any real difference. The strings vibrate near the pickup. Pickup? Yea, they matter. If I sawed off 80% of the excess wood, however, the strings would vibrate exactly the same in front of the pickup. What is better wood? A prettier grain? Who cares about stupid crap like that?

Where does Fender claim that the USA Strat stays in tune better?

Where does Fender claim the $1199 guitar less prone to warping? What is different?
Last edited by MissingSomethin at Mar 7, 2013,
Why do you own two MIA guitars?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Why do you own two MIA guitars?

That's what I am trying to figure out.
I was brainwashed into just assuming they are better.
Now, I am unplugging from the sheeple Matrix and asking for proof.
Quote by MissingSomethin

Where does Fender claim that the USA Strat uses better Alder wood than the $499 Strat?
Where does Fender claim that the USA Strat uses different pickups from the $499 Strat?
Where does Fender claim that the USA Strat stays in tune better?
Where does Fender claim the $1199 guitar less prone to warping? What is different?

Common sense.

Their website.

Tuning pegs do.

The truss rod on the American one is stronger.

Jesus dude. How are you this daft?

Quote by MissingSomethin

Wanna donate them to me?
Legion!
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
EVH 5153
Quote by MissingSomethin

Why do you own a 1978 Gibson LP Custom? If you're so convinced, why haven't you sold it yet?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 7, 2013,
Quote by MissingSomethin

OK I'm calling troll.

I really hope you are or you are a complete and utter mong.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb

Yes, you've cracked the code, it's all the same stuff. We're all sheeple and you're so very much more clever than the rest of the world and you've been enlightened far beyond any of us mental peasants. Now go trade in your MIA Strat for a Squier Bullet and leave us to wallow in our bourgeois facade of quality.

Seriously though there's a huge difference there and if you can't tell then I guess you're on your own.
Quote by MissingSomethin

Troll thread.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Best troll ever.
Legion!
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
EVH 5153