Looking for either a lower wattage head unit, or a 1 x 12'' or 15'' if you think its something i may like...

I'm looking for a really warm low end but crystal clear when you crank it...
Price isn't a concern. I'm just not too familiar with clean amp's at this point.

I really like the cleans I hear from Bullet For My Valentine, so looking to get close to that.

Thanks!
Last edited by tsg31t at Mar 7, 2013,
So, I assume that you just want to use this amp for cleans, right? So, no overdrive what so ever? (Unless you put a pedal in front of it.)

Also, where are you from? What's your price range? What's your current gear like?
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by aerosmithfan95
So, I assume that you just want to use this amp for cleans, right? So, no overdrive what so ever? (Unless you put a pedal in front of it.)

Also, where are you from? What's your price range? What's your current gear like?

Yes...That's correct. Clean only.

My gear:
Guitars: ESP/LTD H-1001FM, String through, with EMG 81 & 85. (main)
Ibanez Ar200 with humbuckers. (secondary)

Amp: Peavey 6505+ head, Line-6 412vs cab with 2 Celestion V-30's, and 2 G12k-100's. Maxon OD808, Boss NS-2.

Also have an older 2 x 12'' peavey cab with 2 V-30's

I'm in the USA (Minnesota).

I guess price wise id be looking to find a top of line amp used, so I'm guessing id be looking in the $500-$800 range for something good but used.

Thanks, looking forward to what you have to say.
Do you know much about the seemingly popular Roland JC-120? from what i understand it's a solid state many are saying has a tone that no other tube amp can compare to.
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Jackson Stars Kelly "Aiko"
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
EVH 5153
Fender Twin Reverb, ?Maybe Deluxe Reverb?, either a silverface or one of the Reissue models, it certainly stays crystal clear until your ears bleed. Fender Blues Deluxe or Deville may work as well. The Roland Jazz Chorus is a good solid state amplifier, idk about the "a tone no other tube amp can compare to" though, kind of a taste thing.
I SEE A BAD MOON RISING
I SEE TROUBLE ON THE WAY
I really dig the Fender Twin Reverb for cleans, and if I had the extra cash I'd be picking one up. Used, they will run at the top end of your budget, but they're well worth it in my opinion.
OffsetOffset
Well, I assume that Bullet uses clean tones on their Mesa Dual Rectifiers (assuming since that's what most modern bands use). And since you want a smaller amp, that's out of the question.

And looking at what everyone else is saying, they're thinking the same exact thing as me: Get a Roland Jazz Chorus. There is a 120-watt (2 channel) 2x12 version and I believe that they go for about $800. Since you want a small 1x15, you can check out the some oh the smaller versions and they go for a bit cheaper as well.

To top it off, the Jazz Chorus is one of the, if not THE, best solid state amps in the guitar world. It have a great sound and players love them.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Fender PA100, it's god damn cheap and it has the twin reverbs circuit with 4 channels! I have one

Nevermind, I see you want a combo... Fender Hot Rod series!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Mar 7, 2013,
Mesa Lone Star Special if you can get one in your price range (don't know US prices).
Quote by aerosmithfan95
Well, I assume that Bullet uses clean tones on their Mesa Dual Rectifiers (assuming since that's what most modern bands use). And since you want a smaller amp, that's out of the question.

And looking at what everyone else is saying, they're thinking the same exact thing as me: Get a Roland Jazz Chorus. There is a 120-watt (2 channel) 2x12 version and I believe that they go for about $800. Since you want a small 1x15, you can check out the some oh the smaller versions and they go for a bit cheaper as well.

To top it off, the Jazz Chorus is one of the, if not THE, best solid state amps in the guitar world. It have a great sound and players love them.

Nope they use the Roland Jazz Chorus for their cleans so that would be a great choice if that's the sound he wants.
Quote by jaymz9350
Nope they use the Roland Jazz Chorus for their cleans so that would be a great choice if that's the sound he wants.

Do you think they use the Roland for live shows as well?
Quote by tsg31t

Why not? I'm sure they have enough roadies to handle 2 sets of amps
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Can't go wrong with Fender for cleans. That's what sold me on my HRD 1x12 combo. Vox & Peavey were good, too, but Fender was audibly the cleanest.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Any out there able to explain the tonal differences between one of these Fender's mentioned, and the Roland JC-120?
Quote by tsg31t
Any out there able to explain the tonal differences between one of these Fender's mentioned, and the Roland JC-120?

That's kind of a hard request. I feel that describing tone with words is kind of useless. For example in the case of a Twin Reverb versus a Jazz Chorus I think the Twin sounds "jucier", "sweeter", "rounder", "luscious...er" . However I play Les Paul's those kind of sound bland into a JC-120 IMHO. Those adjectives don't really mean anything in terms of what your ear's hear. Bottom line is that your gonna have to either hear these amps in person, or find some high quality recordings or videos.
I SEE A BAD MOON RISING
I SEE TROUBLE ON THE WAY
Quote by tsg31t

Yep. As far as I know they record with their stage gear and they do use seperate amps for clean and distorted live. Though I think I read somewhere they switched to rackmount POD's for clean at least live now.
Quote by jaymz9350
Yep. As far as I know they record with their stage gear and they do use seperate amps for clean and distorted live. Though I think I read somewhere they switched to rackmount POD's for clean at least live now.

Are you talkin line-6 pods?
if he wants it
crystal clear when you crank it...
, i wouldn't be looking for an HRD or DRRI. thats more along of fender twin lines.

JC120's are nice amps (i almost bought one yesterday actually). but decided to look for something else instead. but they are a little more 'sterile' and a tiny bit more 'brittle'. but they are really good sounding amps and the terms are not bad (in this case) just how it is. the chorus really warms it up though. they have got very nice chorus, especially the older ones.

i would consider a Twin to be 'warm' and 'luscious' and i have never got one to break up in a practical situation.

then there is another contender. i have a Music Man HD212 130 watt 2x12". i don't feel like getting my guitar related documents but i think it was around $420. they are very nice, solidstate pre, tube PI (most of them don't have a tube PI) and a tube output section. it has a very hand vibrato. you can get it to break up, but it takes a TON. ask gumbi, he is the one who turned me on to music man amps. i think he has several. but the cleans are beauituful, and the half power switch (on front) REALLY works, it really quiets it up a lot. i have owned several amps that some i run at half power, and i have never heard any of them get pretty much any quieter. two channels two inputs for channel. just something to consider.

i am not familiar enough with that band for their 'flavour' of cleans, but either way JC120, twin or a music man you would likely be very satisfied.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by tsg31t
Are you talkin line-6 pods?

yeah, not the cheapies though the rack-mount X3 PRO I believe