Looks authentic to me but I'm not an expert! If it's good I'm gonna trade it for my DK2.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/caned5h4e6tiukk/Photo%2011-01-13%2015%2026%2027.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8s6ddwrb4r9j8kk/Photo%2005-03-13%2018%2027%2037.jpg

Thank you guys

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
Looks legit to me, though I'm not an SG expert.

How much do they want for it? That's usually a good indicator.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Legit.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Tom 1.0
Looks legit to me, though I'm not an SG expert.

How much do they want for it? That's usually a good indicator.

My DK2 + $300 USD Equivalent, the SG is in mint condition.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
Quote by Perverockstar69
My DK2 + $300 USD Equivalent, the SG is in mint condition.

Yeah that's pretty legit.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Sounds fair, that's a value of like $600 all in?

Do it.

Check its rosewood and not baked maple though. The 2011-2012 standards were BM iirc.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I'd need to see a better pic of the headstock to tell for sure...There are so many fakes out there. My general go-tos check out from what I can tell though.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Get the serial and we can work out the date it was built.

Nothing is wrong with baked maple, its a great fretboard material, but give it a few years I reckon their value will be far lower than their rosewood contemporaries but if thou like it and you're only $600 in against it.... Go for it.

That looks awesome.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Perverockstar69
Idk if its baked maple or rosewood, can you help me out?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ldbn99c0oomvrdg/Photo%2011-01-13%2015%2026%2039.jpg

What's wrong with baked maple?

That coloring really looks like rosewood. Especially that streak around the G string. Maple is more sustainable than rosewood for one thing. As for sonically...I've heard it described as reminiscent of ebony but I've never played it myself.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Looks like the genuine article to me, also looks like a rosewood fingerboard.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
I appreciate it guys!

I've decide I do not care if it's baked maple or rosewood, this would be my first Gibson so I can start getting experience on this brand!

So, you sure it's legit?

Then I will get it this weekend...

I'm really excited, I've always wanted an SG!

Thank you guys!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Mar 7, 2013,
Quote by Perverockstar69
I appreciate it guys!

I've decide I do not care if it's baked maple or rosewood, this would be my first Gibson so I can start getting experience on this brand!

So, you sure it's legit?

Then I will get it this weekend...

I'm really excited, I've always wanted an SG!

Thank you guys!

I'm pretty confident it's real. Enough that I'll buy it if you don't :p It won't matter to you whether it's maple or rosewood, I'd go for it.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
it was this or another one with a cream finish but I prefered this one, it looks more classy plus the guy wants the Jackson

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
Nope, I just know there are a lot of fakes out there and I know nothing about Gibson, thats all.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
It passes the first test: 2 screws in the truss rod cover instead of 3, but then again for a number of years Gibson has been telling the counterfeiters how to make better copies:

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/CounterfeitGibsons.aspx

Why would they want to do that? Maybe it would make buyers more likely to heed their advice on the one certain way to avoid fakes:

"To curtail the growing problem, Gibson advises all consumers to purchase Gibson instruments only from Gibson’s network of authorized dealers, found on the company’s website at www.gibson.com."

Although in the next paragraph they do at least say they'll help you make a determination on a used guitar if you give their customer service a call. And they do list contact info (I didn't check to see if it actually works). I'm pretty sure they don't set their staff levels based on the assumption the very many people buying a used Gibson will actually call them, though.

There is more info that might help you out on the page I linked to. Good luck! Looks like a very nice guitar.
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
Quote by jetwash69
It passes the first test: 2 screws in the truss rod cover instead of 3, but then again for a number of years Gibson has been telling the counterfeiters how to make better copies:

Gotta be very careful. Even though the SG is probably all good, I can show you Les Pauls where the tell tale flaws are no longer there and to the casual eye picking the fake from a couple of photos is getting pretty tough.

The 3 screw truss rod cover, misaligned pots, misaligned headstock and logo, non fret egde bound version fakes that you probably remember are now long gone.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
It does look legit to me, also they did make SG standards with rosewood in 2012 and that one looks like rosewood to me too.
I wouldn't go by the screws in the truss rod cover, I've seen fakes with 2 screws too, the best way to tell is that the binding covers over the ends of the frets.
Quote by Tom 1.0
Sounds fair, that's a value of like $600 all in?

Do it.

Check its rosewood and not baked maple though. The 2011-2012 standards were BM iirc.

Baked maple on a Gibson ? Yeah, sure ?! That's a joke, right ?
Quote by Tubetinkerer
Baked maple on a Gibson ? Yeah, sure ?! That's a joke, right ?

I can't tell if you're being serious or not but yes Gibson was using baked maple for a bit.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I can't tell if you're being serious or not but yes Gibson was using baked maple for a bit.

Excuse me.. I was being sarcastic.

I heard about laminated rosewood and baked maple this morning and I could not believe what I was hearing. I was actually either buying a true Gibson LP (grade AAA flame maple top) or a cheap chinese copy.
Salesperson told me that they were not aqcuiring any new Les Pauls for reasons of baked maple and laminated rosewood.
I told him that I would not even want to buy it, with those issues and for the prices they go for these days. It is a crying shame, that some people actually defend Gibson for this policy. Let's be honest, justifications to buy a an LP always were, one piece solid (?) body, one piece neck, one piece high quality, well prepared rosewood fretboards and great craftmanship, right ? And the fact that it had Gibson on the headstock and "Made in Usa" on the back made you pay the extra cash. But it seems that's all you get from Gibson these days. Sorry I just can't get over it......

So for 1/5 of the price I got me a chinese LP copy. Solid (!) body, flame maple top (veneer, but hey, who can tell ?) single piece rosewood fretboard. The works.

And yes; side by side there's a difference in sound, but it's definitely not 5x difference.
I still can't believe that "cheap crap" like this, can sound and play the way that it does.

And BTW, I do own an 93 Gibson LP Custom + A top, which, at the time were supposedly the worst things Gibson had ever built. Well..... I suppose they outdid themselves this time. I think the value of my LP has definitely gone up.
Make me an offer ?

----------------------------------
Sorry for taking this thread off-topic
Last edited by Tubetinkerer at Apr 2, 2013,
Wow, we totally need elitist assholes like you to fill up these forums with your shit.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 2, 2013,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Wow, we totally need elitist assholes like you to fill up these forums with your shit.

Wow dude.... what's your problem?
Clearly you're trolling.

If you're so butthurt over how Gibson used laminated rosewood fingerboards and 2 piece bodies over 1, but then you somehow don't give a **** about your fake LP having a veneer for a top, then you're obviously trolling.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 2, 2013,
Quote by Tubetinkerer
Excuse me.. I was being sarcastic.

I heard about laminated rosewood and baked maple this morning and I could not believe what I was hearing. I was actually either buying a true Gibson LP (grade AAA flame maple top) or a cheap chinese copy.
Salesperson told me that they were not aqcuiring any new Les Pauls for reasons of baked maple and laminated rosewood.
I told him that I would not even want to buy it, with those issues and for the prices they go for these days. It is a crying shame, that some people actually defend Gibson for this policy. Let's be honest, justifications to buy a an LP always were, one piece solid (?) body, one piece neck, one piece high quality, well prepared rosewood fretboards and great craftmanship, right ? And the fact that it had Gibson on the headstock and "Made in Usa" on the back made you pay the extra cash. But it seems that's all you get from Gibson these days. Sorry I just can't get over it......

So for 1/5 of the price I got me a chinese LP copy. Solid (!) body, flame maple top (veneer, but hey, who can tell ?) single piece rosewood fretboard. The works.

And yes; side by side there's a difference in sound, but it's definitely not 5x difference.
I still can't believe that "cheap crap" like this, can sound and play the way that it does.

And BTW, I do own an 93 Gibson LP Custom + A top, which, at the time were supposedly the worst things Gibson had ever built. Well..... I suppose they outdid themselves this time. I think the value of my LP has definitely gone up.
Make me an offer ?

----------------------------------
Sorry for taking this thread off-topic

You're an idiot. They used baked maple because it was a reasonable alternative while there were issues with getting quality, legit rosewood. Tell me how may baked maple LPs you played before you came to the conclusion that rosewood is ALWAYS better?

Sure, if I were buying a LP right now, I'd prefer rosewood, but you have to try the alternatives.

Also, not everyone wants grade AAA flamed maple. Gibson produce some guitars with highly figured tops and some without. So that point is, again, null and void.

It's been rare for a number of years, from any manufacturer, to get one piece bodies and necks. What world do you think we live in where mass manufacturers can source that quantity of wood, especially given the differences between two and one piece bodies or necks. Many high quality builders use multi piece bodies and necks for reasons of design, construction and stability. One piece =/= better.

Oh, and I bet anyone could tell the difference between a maple veneer and a proper flamed maple cap side by side. The difference really is night and day. Given the rant about material choices you just had, this comment seems so ironic.

Basically, be quiet.
Last edited by ProgFolk12 at Apr 2, 2013,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Clearly you're trolling.

Not intentionally... but whatever.

This forum is about guitars right ?
Quote by ProgFolk12
You're an idiot. They used baked maple because it was a reasonable alternative while there were issues with getting quality, legit rosewood. Tell me how may baked maple LPs you played before you came to the conclusion that rosewood is ALWAYS better?

Sure, if I were buying a LP right now, I'd prefer rosewood, but you have to try the alternatives.

Also, not everyone wants grade AAA flamed maple. Gibson produce some guitars with highly figured tops and some without. So that point is, again, null and void.

It's been rare for a number of years, from any manufacturer, to get one piece bodies and necks. What world do you think we live in where mass manufacturers can source that quantity of wood, especially given the differences between two and one piece bodies or necks. Many high quality builders use multi piece bodies and necks for reasons of design, construction and stability. One piece =/= better.

Oh, and I bet anyone could tell the difference between a maple veneer and a proper flamed maple cap side by side. The difference really is night and day. Given the rant about material choices you just had, this comment seems so ironic.

Basically, be quiet.

Noted..

I am only questioning value for money, that's all. If you think that's idiotic. Fine.
All I am interested in, is a good guitar. Whatever the price. Period.
But don't forget that Gibson used to set the standards.

By the way. A custom has an ebony fretboard. Mr Knowitall
When did I say anything about Ebony? I'm confused. All I'm saying is you came in here flaming Gibson for using a wood you hadn't tried, despite the well publicized issues they had with their rosewood supplies. You then told everyone how much better their instruments used to be, based on some half truths and/or lies based around largely subjective matters. And all in a thread where the guy has, IIRC, already got the instrument in question.

It was all just a bit...over the top and poorly justified.
The guitar looks about like mine minus the obvious difference of the pickguard. I have a 2013 Standard.

The little leather tab looks off. Mine has Gibson on it. That one doesn't have it there or it is just hard to see. It could just be pic quality but if that is a copy it is a damn good one.
Last edited by HippieMagic at Apr 2, 2013,