I’m in the market for a new amp in the next 6-8 weeks and have come across these two discontinued models for sale (Orange Rocker 30 $1400, JMD 501 $1150) both combo. Unfortunately both amps are on the other side of the country so I’m unable to try them out so I’m asking the good folks of UG for opinions on these amps.

Budget: Combo OR Head/Cabinet for no more than $2250 AUD (prefer to stay below)
New/Used: Either
Music Style: Cult, Kiss, ACDC through to Katy Perry, Avril Lavigne. Occasionally some blues.
Current Gear: 2006 Gibson Les Paul, Vox AD30VT (soon to be handed over to my nephew)
Other: I’m not in a band but would like something loud enough to gig with. I don’t use a lot of effects (mostly overdrive, compression). Cleans don’t have to be Fender like.

Also, thinking of replacing the pups in the LP. They are stock and I don’t like the squeal in the bridge or the muddiness from the neck pup. Probably replace with Seymour Duncan SH4 or SH14 (for neck) with SH2 or a ’59 (for bridge).

I’m not locked into either amp at the moment and I will be looking at other models such as Orange AD30, Dual Terror, Marshall JVM/DSL.

Any thoughts much appreciated
any orange will work great for what you want to play. the JMD was not a bad amp but it was very meh. I didn't like them.

you might look at mesa royal atlantics, roadkings, or a tremoverb
also a marshall vintage modern would fit, or a JVM.
nice budget man. really gives you some great options.
all orange models will work, minus maybe the tiny/dark/jim root terrors.

maybe even a JCM800
should have mentioned that. while they'll sound good for that stuff they are grainy, dirty, and often...unique sounding, oranges in general. you should try one first. they aren't for everyone.
Thanks for the info ! At least now if I do decided to buy the Rocker 30 without being able to test first (due to its location) I feel a lot better.

What I might do is try to find a local store that has an AD30 and Dual Terror to get an idea of the Orange sound.

If I cant test any Orange amps out, and do buy the Orange R30, then the worst is that I will have to sell or trade it for something else (On You Tube the R30 sounds fine)
AD30 is a solid option as well, but I'd take the Rocker 30 over it, to be honest.
JVM is really good for versatility, in my opinion, but you've got to sit down and spend time to make it sound good, in my opinion, whereas your typical Orange sounds great with minimal adjustments.

Best advice, in my opinion, is to test everything that may appeal to you within your budget and choose what you think sounds best and is best for what you do.

As far as your pickups go, I'd wait with that until you get a new amplifier. The Vox AD30VT might be the problem behind it all. I think stock Gibson pickups are fairly decent, by the way.
avoid the terror serious trying for comparison, try the AD30, if you like the way ti sounds, got for the Rocker 30, Orange amps sound like Orange amps, the terrors do too but they're much more modern in their sound and less of a good comparison
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by I K0nijn I

As far as your pickups go, I'd wait with that until you get a new amplifier. The Vox AD30VT might be the problem behind it all. I think stock Gibson pickups are fairly decent, by the way.

Cool - sort out amp THEN decide if I need new pickups or not !
Quote by GABarrie
avoid the terror serious trying for comparison, try the AD30, if you like the way ti sounds, got for the Rocker 30, Orange amps sound like Orange amps, the terrors do too but they're much more modern in their sound and less of a good comparison

Noted - use AD30 as a better comparison to the Orange R30. Thanks
holy crap, my grammar and spelling was atrocious in that post... I feel ashamed of myself.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb