I recently found what I consider to be a bargain on Craigslist: a Fender PA-100 head with a Peavey cabinet for $80. Not really sure about it I picked it up. Found the tubes in pretty good shape and the cab is also decent. When I bought this I wasn't really familiar with old Fender stuff but my gut said to jump on it. Do people still use these for shows or recording? Do they travel well? I kinda like the sound but I just cant bring myself to go back to analog and away from my modeling rig. Can anyone give me a background on this head? Did I get ripped off?
for $80, works, and you like the sound? Sounds like you got a fun toy to me...
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
What people do with them is turn them into multi channel Twins. They are a modder's dream. I'd have bought it in a heartbeat.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by ihartfood
$80? wow, that's not great man.
Is that a typo or sarcasm? The output transformer is worth more than that.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Is that a typo or sarcasm? The output transformer is worth more than that.

+1

Shit, the tubes alone could be worth damn near that. For $80 I would have been in my car on the way the second I saw the ad.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
As soon as I saw it I was on the horn with the guy to make sure it wasn't a typo. The Peavey 1x15 bass cab was worth the money and dude thought it was a fair price so I grabbed it. Been playing through a Behringer Vampire stack and I'll probably sell that head and keep the Fender.
The only real difference between a PA100 and Fender Twin is the tone stack (and the extra channels of course.) You're gonna love it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
holy shit yes that was a typo. wow. it was late, don't judge

I bought this a couple days ago for $80. I thought I had made a pretty good deal. Dude called me up today and told me to come over for a minute, and he gave me a buttload of cables. Instrument cables, XLR, you name it. Said he felt guilty that I got ripped off on the head and can deal. Have me probably $50 worth of cables that I can definitely use. Meanwhile, the Blackface is still awesome. Oh lucky day.

I also don't understand this. You got cables from the same guy that you bought the head from? or you gave him cables?
Last edited by ihartfood at Mar 9, 2013,

I bought this a couple days ago for $80. I thought I had made a pretty good deal. Dude called me up today and told me to come over for a minute, and he gave me a buttload of cables. Instrument cables, XLR, you name it. Said he felt guilty that I got ripped off on the head and can deal. Have me probably $50 worth of cables that I can definitely use. Meanwhile, the Blackface is still awesome. Oh lucky day.

Well it sounds like you took advantage of an honest man, I hope you're happy.