I have a Carvin XV112 amp (one of the later fuzzy ones with EL34s), and it sounds good other than this weird buzzy overtone I get no matter what setting it's on. It doesn't get any louder when I turn the amp up, and it's most noticeable on the clean channel. With the gain all the way up on the distorted channel, it's barely noticeable but it's still there. Any ideas what it could be? Could it be something lose inside the amp just rattling? Or is it most likely a faulty electrical component? I love the amp other than this, if there's a quick fix I'd love to hear it... Thanks.
I think that's just part of what happens with the gain all the way up, I think that buzzy overtone you're hearing is more a function of te pre-amp tubes though.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
It's it a buzz or a crackle? Could be something simple or something drastic.

You know the drill. Test your leads, guitars, pedals, etc, etc. If that doesn't work, try cleaning the tube sockets with some contact cleaner on the pins and repeatedly pulling it out and back in. Try different tubes if that fails. There's heaps of troubleshooting here on your end dude.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
But it does it on the clean channel too (there is no gain control for the clean channel). That's where it's most noticeable.
Quote by Eppicurt
It's it a buzz or a crackle? Could be something simple or something drastic.

You know the drill. Test your leads, guitars, pedals, etc, etc. If that doesn't work, try cleaning the tube sockets with some contact cleaner on the pins and repeatedly pulling it out and back in. Try different tubes if that fails. There's heaps of troubleshooting here on your end dude.

The tubes are supposedly only a few months old so I doubt that's the problem. I'll try cleaning the contacts though. It almost sounds like a bad preamp tube but I really doubt that.
Just because they're new doesn't mean they can't be faulty. I've bought full sets of new tubes and had dud pre-amp valves within 2 months.

But I'll ask again, is it definitely a buzz or is it more of a crackle? Can you record a clip of the issue?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Sorry, it's definitely more of a consistent buzz. It's more noticeable on bassier notes. And yeah, I can record it. Hold on a second.
Hard to say. It could be a number of things. Speaker rattle, bad tubes, bad leads, bad guitar electronics. It's just going to have to be a process of elimination, unless someone can chime in and actually identify the issue from hearing it.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
One other thing. When I tried the amp out before bringing it home, it didn't do it. At least I didn't notice it. Maybe something got knocked loose on the ride home? I can say that it does it no matter what guitar or cable I'm using. Straight into the amp too, no pedals.
Maybe it's an issue with the power in your house? Try it in different outlets and try it at a mates house.

I'd still grab some new tubes and try them out.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
I guess I might as well get some tubes. You're supposed to have spares anyway. It could be the power in my house. I've had issues with that before... but usually that would just cause a ton of static, right? I wouldn't think it would cause it to buzz like that.

It's frustrating because barring that issue, it's an amazing amp for the money. The X-amps are underrated...
Last edited by CaptDin at Mar 8, 2013,
Not necessarily. It can cause all kinds of issues.

But you're on the right track. New tubes and checking the power at a friends house would be my first move.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
What preamp tubes did you put in it? And don't just tell me, "12AX7"
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
That might be your problem. Groove Tubes stink.

I would grab some JJ's, Mullard's or Wing C's. I've had a bad experience with JJ's but everyone else seems to have good times with them.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Groovetube what? I need to know the entire code. Groovetube could be just about anything.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah, I remember hearing bad things about Groove Tubes.

They might be a little old too. The guy gave me an invoice showing that he had it gone over and "retubed", but for some reason I'm thinking the guy just had the power tubes replaced and left the preamp tubes alone. The preamp tubes are GTs, the power tubes are JJs.
Quote by Cathbard
Groovetube what? I need to know the entire code. Groovetube could be just about anything.

They just say "GT-12AX7-R".
Those are Sovteks. They're rubbish. Buy a couple of JJ ECC83S tubes and try them in different positions - or just buy enough to replace them all.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I might as well replace all three. Any other brands you'd reccomend other than JJ? I've heard a lot of good things about JJs but I'm just curious what other brands are worth trying.
JJ's are by far the best value for money and one thing they definitely aren't is buzzy. Lots of midrange. My policy is to start with all JJ unless using NOS, and if the amp is a bit dark experiment with something else in V1.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
look guys, groove tubes dont make tubes. they RE LABEL tubes. i have had GT relabeled jj before. but i really dont care who makes it, as long as it works. el34 tubes actually have sort of buzzy quality to them when they work well, or worn. if you get 6ca7 instead of el34, it will have less hi mid buzziness, and you can drop them in place of el34. no mods. take the tubes out, and hold them by the pins, and flick the glass with your fingernail. if it sounds like garbage rattling around inside, theres your culprit of the buzz. happens alot with pres and poweramp tubes. even brand new ones have that problem. dont ever order tubes. buy them in person, flick the glass... listen for ringing or noise. the less the better.