I have decided to get a roland cube and i play metal. will i get the best possible distortion with or without a distortion pedal?
I've never used that amp, but I have a piece of advice I wish I would have known when I was starting:

Don't spend money on distortion pedals when you still have a starter amp. If you want some effects pedals for stuff like delay or chorus, go for it. Avoid dropping cash on distortion or metal distortion stompboxes because the tone won't really be much better than your amps built in distortion.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Nope. It already has decent distortion in it, but it's not great.

You're way better off with a Vypyr 30 or if you can afford it, a Vypyr 60 Tube. Sell that Mustang, it's not great for metal.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I'm not a begginer, im just trying to achieve the highest quality amp for metal at bedroom levels and I hate the vypyr so just trying to achieve top quality
No one here said you were a beginner. We said that they were starter amps.

What about the Vypyr don't you like? It's got the best modelling for distortion on the market for the price. And you won't achieve top quality without spending a good amount of money. How much do you have to spend on an amp?

Quote by jamesdolecek
dont distortion pedal provide good distortion or not?

Well, it depends on what you're running it through. Through a modelling amp it won't sound too good, but through a decent tube amp it can sound killer. It also depends what distortion pedal you're looking at.

You're much better off achieving it with built in amp distortion.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Last edited by Eppicurt at Mar 8, 2013,
Why do you want the EQ? You're better off putting all that money towards a better amp. I'm going to go ahead and ask some other general questions.

Location/Nearest city?
New/Used?
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
I'll just go ahead and say that the Cube (I have the 30x) has pretty good distortion on it. It's no Triple Rec, and won't compare to a good tube amp with a good pedal in front, but it can do crushing metal pretty good. Much fuller sound than a Spyder. For the money, I can't say I would've rather gotten anything else.
Quote by soundgarden1986
Screw your bases. If she doesn't let me go elbow deep in her ass on the first date, it wasn't meant to be.

Quote by willT08
Every thread on here to do with audio quality is like walking into a paddock of shit slinging chimps