Page 1 of 4
So up until this year I hadn't had federal taxes taken out of my paycheck because I made less than 5k each year. This year Im working more and looking into a higher paying job position where I will definitely make more than 5k a year so I didn't file what I usually file on my w2 form. It was quite shocking to see such a chunk of my paycheck be scraped away this past couple of weeks. I calculated 23 percent of my paycheck lost due to fed and state taxes. Now all you other-countrymen must be laughing among yourselves because I know that the U.S. has comparatively low taxes, but it still hurts to see all that money go away to things I take for granted every day.

Anyone else feel dat tax pain?

Also, is there anything you guys do (legally) to lower your tax rate or receive a bigger tax refund?
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
What's a..... tax?

Is it some sort of sandwich?
Because I don't like sandwiches.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by c3powil
Now all you other-countrymen must be laughing among yourselves because I know that the U.S. has comparatively low taxes, but it still hurts to see all that money go away to things I take for granted every day.

<14% tax right here. You americans and your high taxing of the poor.
Quote by devourke

I'm in favor of a flat tax across the board. I don't think anyone should be taxed more or less than anyone else.
Quote by c3powil
I'm in favor of a flat tax across the board. I don't think anyone should be taxed more or less than anyone else.

Well that's just stupid and ineffective.

Anyway, it's not a huge deal because so much comes back on my return.
45ish % here. I'm not complaining as it pays for basically everything and I prefer everyone to have the same chance in society.

Quote by c3powil

Why not? The more you earn, the more you can tax.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Mar 8, 2013,
No, because I know what it means to be a dutiful citizen.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at Mar 8, 2013,
Quote by devourke

Um...actually, taxes on the poor are relatively low right now in the US.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Um...actually, taxes on the poor are relatively low right now in the US.

Relatively low compared to the US?
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
45ish % here. I'm not complaining as it pays for basically everything and I prefer everyone to have the same chance in society.

Why not? The more you earn, the more you can tax.

It's unfair, in my opinion, to take a higher percentage of money away from someone just because they make more money, have more experience, are more talented, or work more hours than I. They're already paying more taxes than I am anyway. I mean 20 percent of 100,000 is a heck of a lot more than 20 percent of 20,000.
Quote by c3powil
It's unfair, in my opinion, to take a higher percentage of money away from someone just because they make more money, have more experience, are more talented, or work more hours than I. They're already paying more taxes than I am anyway. I mean 20 percent of 100,000 is a heck of a lot more than 20 percent of 20,000.

you're not more important than society and the general well being of your country.
pay first and get rewarded later. not the other way around.

"you think there's only prizes to win but none to pay"

you can afford to pay more in tax, wanting to contribute to society that in many ways made you who you are should be a given.

might be unfair in principle but many things are. and fairness just by following the word's semantics is just silly.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
you're not more important than society and the general well being of your country.

you can afford to pay more in tax, wanting to contribute to society that in many ways made you who you are should be a given.

might be unfair in principle but many things are. and fairness just by following the word's semantics is just silly.

So basically, you're saying that the world is unfair and it's silly to try and make it so, yet by taxing the prosperous more heavily and the less prosperous less heavily, you are contradicting your own logic.
Quote by c3powil
So basically, you're saying that the world is unfair and it's silly to try and make it so, yet by taxing the prosperous more heavily and the less prosperous less heavily, you are contradicting your own logic.

what im saying is that "taxing" the upper class/rich heavily might seem unfair in principle but benefits the society the most and that should be of priority over always being "fair" according to what the word means.

I didn't say it's silly to try and make it so. But the world will never become equal and fair if we don't dare to be unfair against certain groups of people that are already enjoying huge advantages in society.

democracy and "fair" are just words that people with huge benefits and stupid ideas can hide behind and cant be questioned about nor punished for. democracy is worth shit if society is going the wrong way imo.

just saw your user title. that's cute
Quote by c3powil

Anyone else feel dat tax pain?

Also, is there anything you guys do (legally) to lower your tax rate or receive a bigger tax refund?

Not yet, under 5k a year I believe. I have my grandfather do my taxes (he is a licensed tax professional) and he does his best to make sure I don't owe tons of money.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
what im saying is that "taxing" the upper class/rich heavily might seem unfair in principle but benefits the society the most and that should be of priority over always being "fair" according to what the word means.

Why is fairness and justice second to what society wants? I mean, in the 19th century our society benefited greatly from slavery, yet for some reason we now have a policy against it. Going by that logic, we should have never abolished slavery and assimilated the slaves into our society. But we did, because enslaving people isn't fair.
Quote by c3powil
Why is fairness and justice second to what society wants? I mean, in the 19th century our society benefited greatly from slavery, yet for some reason we now have a policy against it. Going by that logic, we should have never abolished slavery and assimilated the slaves into our society. But we did, because enslaving people isn't fair.

who says slavery is abolished today? its just been moved to third world countries so its not a problem to be dealt with at home for the rich.

and I can see a slight difference between taxing people who have everything and putting people who have nothing in slavery.

it's not second to what society wants, but seeing as how most people are unwilling to share their wealth I can't really say that's fair and equal either. and it doesn't really matter how you earned it. chances are you're wealthy because external effects you've had little to do with and are now unwilling to share your wealth.

I don't believe a change will come without us daring to infringe on the most privilieged part of society's rights in favour of the poor. and if the only argument against doing so is that it's unfair then I say go for it.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
who says slavery is abolished today? its just been moved to third world countries so its not a problem to be dealt with at home for the rich.

and I can see a slight difference between taxing people who have everything and putting people who have nothing in slavery.

it's not second to what society wants, but seeing as how most people are unwilling to share their wealth I can't really say that's fair and equal either. and it doesn't really matter how you earned it. chances are you're wealthy because external effects you've had little to do with and are now unwilling to share your wealth.

I'm just going to stop this conversation before it ruins my thread. We have differing opinions and I don't think either of us will be swayed by what the other has to say.
Quote by c3powil

Those numbers don't exist in a vacuum. This isn't pure math. 20% of 300,000 is different than 20% of 20,000.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by c3powil
I'm just going to stop this conversation before it ruins my thread. We have differing opinions and I don't think either of us will be swayed by what the other has to say.

didnt even see you try to defend your notion of trying to reduce your taxes as much as possible though.

but meeh. I'm out.
>born in 93
>never made more than 5k in a year before
>lectures others about hard work, being valuable, etc...

Your arguments are so flawed it is comedic. Then again, most people who argue for a flat tax have their head up their own ass, so it isn't surprising that such is the case.

Go back to masturbating to John Galt.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by rockingamer2
Those numbers don't exist in a vacuum. This isn't pure math. 20% of 300,000 is different than 20% of 20,000.

60,000 is a lot more than 4,000.
Quote by c3powil

If you don't want to discuss differing opinions, and you aren't open to seeing other views, why the **** did you make the thread?

Did you want everyone to come about and fellate you for paying taxes like the rest of us? Typical liberal scum, wanting a trophy and a high five for wiping his own ass after shitting a mess all over my bedroom.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by TunerAddict
If you don't want to discuss differing opinions, and you aren't open to seeing other views, why the **** did you make the thread?

Did you want everyone to come about and fellate you for paying taxes like the rest of us? Typical liberal scum, wanting a trophy and a high five for wiping his own ass after shitting a mess all over my bedroom.

he's paying taxes mate, cut him some slack
true hero
That's what you get for voting Democrat.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by c3powil
60,000 is a lot more than 4,000.

And the Titanic is bigger than a Model T. See, I can state obvious facts too.

In one scenario, you have 240,000. In the other, you have 16,000. You're going to tell me that those two situations are the same?

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at Mar 8, 2013,
Quote by TunerAddict
>born in 93
>never made more than 5k in a year before
>lectures others about hard work, being valuable, etc...

Your arguments are so flawed it is comedic. Then again, most people who argue for a flat tax have their head up their own ass, so it isn't surprising that such is the case.

Go back to masturbating to John Galt.

Wow, you can really lay on the insults without adding any sort of substance to your argument. Mom and Pop sure are proud.

Quote by JohnnyGenzale
didnt even see you try to defend your notion of trying to reduce your taxes as much as possible though.

but meeh. I'm out.

I want to reduce my taxes out of comfort, not necessity. Id like to lower my taxes and if I can I will, but it's not like I'm starving or anything.

Kudos to you for being able to post maturely and sensibly, as opposed to others.

Quote by rockingamer2
And the Titanic is bigger than a Model T. See, I can state obvious facts too.

In one scenario, you have 240,000. In the other, you have 16,000. You're going to tell me that those two situations are the same?

Pardon me if I don't quite understand your meaning.

Quote by TunerAddict

I didn't create this thread so that it would become a frenzied liberal vs conservative debate. But it's not like you were contributing anything useful to either side, now was it.

I created this thread so that people living in the United States could discuss their taxes, how to better acquire rebates, etc.
Last edited by c3powil at Mar 8, 2013,
Quote by c3powil

Pardon me if I don't quite understand your meaning.

One situation can be taxed at a higher percentage since they can afford it.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
One situation can be taxed at a higher percentage since they can afford it.

You're just rehashing the same argument that I already put to rest.
Quote by c3powil

Are you stupid or half ******ed?

You haven't put shit to rest. Going outside and yelling that you're the world champion in boxing ain't gonna put that championship belt on your waist. You gots to steal that shit.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by TunerAddict
Are you stupid or half ******ed?

You haven't put shit to rest. Going outside and yelling that you're the world champion in boxing ain't gonna put that championship belt on your waist. You gots to steal that shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48-tcRiBNj4

Hint: You are the girl
Quote by c3powil

You put it to rest with, "It's not fair?"

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
You put it to rest with, "It's not fair?"

No, I put it to rest by saying that neither of us are going to be swayed by what the other has to say so we might as well not argue about it.
I don't believe in gravity, so no one should discuss gravity, regardless of all the evidence in favor of it, because I'm an idiot and refuse to reconsider my stance when faced with overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by c3powil
No, I put it to rest by saying that neither of us are going to be swayed by what the other has to say so we might as well not argue about it.

why not? one can change through an argument.

otherwise every argument and discussion ever is pointless.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
why not? one can change through an argument.

otherwise every argument and discussion ever is pointless.

Because there is no proof to either side of our arguments. They are opinions. I think that taxing at different rates is unfair and you think that flat tax is unfair.

I understand your logic and reasoning and I don't think that it is completely insane, but I don't think it is good enough to justify differing tax rates.

When it comes down to it, neither of us are right or wrong,
Quote by c3powil
Because there is no proof to either side of our arguments. They are opinions. I think that taxing at different rates is unfair and you think that flat tax is unfair.

I understand your logic and reasoning and I don't think that it is completely insane, but I don't think it is good enough to justify differing tax rates.

When your opinions are based on objectively false things, then yes, you are wrong.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by c3powil

there is proof that higher taxes and a progressive tax removes cleavages. but that's not proof enough for you I'm sure

it comes down to you not wanting cleavages gone as what I prefer obviously removes/reduces it to a higher degree.

and if your argument is that its semantically unfair I really can't say its a very good argument to stick by
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
there is proof that higher taxes and a progressive tax removes cleavages. but that's not proof enough for you I'm sure

it comes down to you not wanting cleavages gone as what I prefer obviously removes/reduces it to a higher degree.

and if your argument is that its semantically unfair I really can't say its a very good argument to stick by

What I'm saying, in a nutshell, is that you cant treat someone differently, from a government standpoint, because they happen to have a higher income. Sure, they may not need it as much as the next guy, but what incentive to they have, then, to strive higher and higher if the reward is consistently less and less. Our society depends more on ambition than on government handouts. Incentives drive our economy. There's a reason why America's GPA per capita is higher than other countries', and it's because Americans have more of an incentive to produce than china or africa.

Sure, a staggered tax rate still offers incentives for hard workers to keep working hard, but not as much, and this limits our economy's growth.
Page 1 of 4