So I'm thinking of getting an EC-1000 (Black with the gold trim) but before I do, I want to know if there are other guitars I should consider in that price range. I can spend up to $900 and I'm looking for something that can do metal really well. However, the guys at my music store said that while it is based on my personal preference, I really can't go wrong with that guitar. I already told him that $900 is what I can spend and while there are other guitars, he seems pretty insistent on that one. I have to say, it does sound great.
Ibanez Art100 (DiMarzio Evo in bridge)
Epiphone Goldtop (SD Black Winters
6505+ Head
Avatar 2x12 (Eminence Gov/Swamp Thang)
Ibanez Prestige
Gibson V/Explorer
Used Jackson Pro Series

I would rather get those guitars over an EC-1000. I just prefer them. I'm also no a huge fan of EMG's like i used to be.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 8, 2013,
Have you played it? The only opinion that you should take to heart is your very own.

My only peeve is that the ec1000 and many other Les Paul heel joint style guitars have bad fret access due to the joint.

So if you like to play way up 19-22, you're going to be dissapointed
???
Quote by AsOneIStand
So I'm thinking of getting an EC-1000 (Black with the gold trim) but before I do, I want to know if there are other guitars I should consider in that price range. I can spend up to $900 and I'm looking for something that can do metal really well. However, the guys at my music store said that while it is based on my personal preference, I really can't go wrong with that guitar. I already told him that $900 is what I can spend and while there are other guitars, he seems pretty insistent on that one. I have to say, it does sound great.

I have this same guitar and I absolutely love it. It can handle a broad spectrum of styles and music. The EMG's are great for rock-metal but struggle with other genres lest you tweak your amp accordingly. But as has been said there is bad access from about the 19/20 frets and up but overall it's a fantastic guitar.
Also give the PRS SE 24 a look, kind of an industry standard for metal and harder stuff, PRS is really fantastic brand.
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier HD Multi-Watt
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100MLB
1960 A&B cabs
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Schecter C1+ (modded)
LTD EC-1000vb
Blueridge 160 CE
BOSS | TU-3 | DD-7
Line 6 G-50 wireless
Really nice guitar. Not sure if EMGs are for me. That's why I haven't really looked into them
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
I would pick the EC's with Seymour Duncan over EMG. Active pickups are great in what they do but quite bad being versatile.

Or you can try to extend a bit more over a grand and get into the market for used high-end guitar. I think an used Eclipse should be just around that.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Mar 8, 2013,
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
Really nice guitar. Not sure if EMGs are for me. That's why I haven't really looked into them

They come with the JB/Jazz set too.

The EC-1000 is a great guitar but $900 is a bit steep, at least if you're in the US. They go on sale all the time for ~700, I've seen them as low as 650 brand new at GC. They're a steal at that price, I'd see if you can find one for less. MF has them at 800 right now, and you can usually find a 10-15% off coupon if you're on their email list.
Get one used, they have bad resale value, you'll probably save a couple hundred bucks.
Quote by solidrane
Have you played it? The only opinion that you should take to heart is your very own.

My only peeve is that the ec1000 and many other Les Paul heel joint style guitars have bad fret access due to the joint.

So if you like to play way up 19-22, you're going to be dissapointed

Ehh, my teacher has a EC-1000 and shreds at the 22-24th frets.
Edit: If you do get this guitar get the one with the Seymour Duncan pickups.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
i'm going to have to disagree with most of the other guys in here

i would most definitely get the one with EMGs for high gain metal. in my experience the 81 is the clearest, tightest pickup under lots of gain. i've played seymour duncans, dimarzios, and even one bareknuckle, it was the warpig i believe

that's my personal preference though. just try both
1997 Ibanez RG550 w/ EMG 81 bridge - C standard
PEAVEY 6505
Mesa Rectifier slant 4x12
Last edited by BoneAndDream at Mar 8, 2013,
if you're not dead set on going brand new, you could easily find a used EC1000 for a decent price on ebay. they're really nice playing guitars, ive liked every LTD EC model ive touched (i mean aside from the 50, 100, 200 models). they can definitely do metal. not sure of your preference on pickups but lots of folks have good results with actives and lots of folks have good results with passives.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

put it this way...

over the past 4 years I've bought and traded over 30 guitars...
a Les paul custom lite, jackson usa's, prestiges, a few PRS custom 24s, etc etc...

one of the few guitars I've kept is my EC-1000. Preference, ya maybe, but its a ****ing workhorse and a half. For price point and versatility, you'll be hard pressed to find anything better for a singlecut with EMGs
Equipment:
ESP LTD EC-1000
Agile 727 Interceptor Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Marshall 1960A Cab
Peavey 6505+
Rack stuff

Whoop Whoop. Holla.
I probably would've bought one a few years back but I don't like the inlays. They look like bacon.
Honestly if you are willing to go used you could get the EC-1000 for much less than $900, I've seen them go on my local CL for $450-600, and with the money left over you could buy another guitar. The 1000 is a great guitar, I used to have one, however I am kind of getting away from active pickups. I would try some other guitars out, no harm in playing a bunch to decide, its not like your throwing around chump change, might as well take your time.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
EC-1000's are really nice guitars, and you can get them for around $500 used all day long. I sold a literal mint condition Amberburst model (the one with the JB/59 pickups) for $450 when I was needing the cash. I've owned a bunch of guitars, including an MH-1000 and the EC-1000. I vastly preferred the EC over the MH

EDIT: V's and Explorers are very underrated guitars in today's "metal" market. The Gibson 500T is my favorite OEM pickup of all time, and both guitars have the same neck and pickups. Try one out and see what you think, I personally prefer the Faded models over the Standards. They hide dings and scratches very well, and the necks aren't as sticky. The Faded and Standard models are identical, with the only exception being the finish btw.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Mar 11, 2013,
Do you live anywhere near california? I've seen some for $500 as well. There was a guy who kept knocking his price down on craigslist and eventually put one up for $400. might still be there.
Quote by BoneAndDream
i'm going to have to disagree with most of the other guys in here

i would most definitely get the one with EMGs for high gain metal. in my experience the 81 is the clearest, tightest pickup under lots of gain. i've played seymour duncans, dimarzios, and even one bareknuckle, it was the warpig i believe

that's my personal preference though. just try both

If you buy EMG's because they're the "best for high gain metal" you're an idiot. If you buy them because you like the tone, or like the tone of a dozen or so artists that use them you're doing it right.

Most high gain passive pickups are tighter than actives because they're far more responsive. When you increase the response the activitiy/inactivity of the strings becomes more pronouced which = responsiveness = tightness.

I appreciate that you admit it's your personal preference, I'm questionable about your comparison to 3 of the other most mentioned brands of pickups instead of any pickups in particular.

As for the guitar, it's good for $700. For $900 you can start to find some Edwards (a step above LTD but below ESP) Guitars, and a few ESP guitars if you look for used models.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by griffin888
Get one used, they have bad resale value, you'll probably save a couple hundred bucks.

+1

I have one in that exact finish.

$360 on Craigslist.

As for your question, you need to play it. Because with $900, if you're willing to go used, you can get much nicer guitars. I'm not sure what the prices are on the current range, but you may be able to get a brand new Ibanez Prestige. And Gibson Studios are certainly in your reach.

There is no such thing as a guitar that is good for anything. There are only guitars that are comfortable to you. And that is completely individualistic. Go to your GC or Sam Ash, and just play everything in your price range and a bit above. Take the time to do this, and you may be surprised at what you find. That's the only way to find out what's "right" for you.

Quote by MESAexplorer

Most high gain passive pickups are tighter than actives because they're far more responsive. When you increase the response the activitiy/inactivity of the strings becomes more pronouced which = responsiveness = tightness.

You have this completely backwards, in my experience. I really don't want to get into an EMG debate on here right now. But I'll state the usual facts that ignorant bandwagons rally against: EMGs due to their design have a wider, flatter frequency range than any passive, and are therefore more versatile than any passive can be. People just don't take the time to take that fact into consideration, EQ for passives, and then say EMGs are one trick ponies, when in reality they're just using the gear wrong.

Note that versatility does not mean that they are the best choice for what you're doing. A ton of people want a specific tone, like a PAF for instance, and that's perfectly fine. Just get your arguments straight when talking about pups.

Also please take note that I am unbiased. My two LTDs are my two main guitars - my EC has the stock 81/60, and my H has an SD Custom/'59 set (a hot PAF and a regular PAF).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 11, 2013,
I've seen them used locally for under $400. That's about how much those guitars are worth the minute you buy it.

You'd basically be paying an extra $500 for a warranty that you will likely never need, that's it. Go used if possibly.
I paid about $450 for my Viper 1000, great guitar. For the price, it's a good guitar. Definitely go used, they are no way worth $900 imo. They are, after all, still MIK guitars (still well made, generally), and you can get a really, really nice guitar for $900, made in the country of your choice.
Well the one thing I'm worrying about with buying used like on ebay is the condition they arrive in. Barring that, what about an LTD V 307? I've been wanting a seven string for awhile as well.
6505+ Head
Quote by MESAexplorer

I don't think active pickups have a problem with being "tight": tightness is mostly in the fingers, anyway...
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Mar 13, 2013,
Quote by AsOneIStand
Well the one thing I'm worrying about with buying used like on ebay is the condition they arrive in. Barring that, what about an LTD V 307? I've been wanting a seven string for awhile as well.

It looks sweet, but the quality is probably pretty questionable.

If you want guaranteed quality look at the old MH-417s.

Unless the neck arrives broken, there's nothing you can't fix on a guitar, and nothing that's particularly difficult to fix. The physical condition should be apparent in pics...

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
As many others have said,the Vintage black ec-1000 is a great guitar.I have one and love it to pieces.
Guitars:
Esp Ec-1000 VB with Emg 81/60
Esp ec-1000 Snow White with SD Jb/Jazz
Esp ltd f-50
Amp:
Randall rd-20h
Randall rd112-v30
Pedals:
Digitech rp-1000
Quote by Offworld92
It looks sweet, but the quality is probably pretty questionable.

If you want guaranteed quality look at the old MH-417s.

Unless the neck arrives broken, there's nothing you can't fix on a guitar, and nothing that's particularly difficult to fix. The physical condition should be apparent in pics...

Yeah but that's what I'm worried about. Sure they can post pictures, but at the same time, they could just be bullshitting. I don't know. Maybe I have a lot of trust issues, but I like to be safe, rather than sorry, which is why I'm so cautious to buy one of these babies off the internet. Would an EC 407 be a good choice for 7 string?
6505+ Head
Quote by AsOneIStand
Yeah but that's what I'm worried about. Sure they can post pictures, but at the same time, they could just be bullshitting. I don't know. Maybe I have a lot of trust issues, but I like to be safe, rather than sorry, which is why I'm so cautious to buy one of these babies off the internet. Would an EC 407 be a good choice for 7 string?

Unfortunately, you can never be sure with new guitars either. A few years ago, you used to know that a 1000-series LTD would likely be a great guitar, but their quality has gone down in recent years and they are pretty hit-and-miss now.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
As long as you're using eBay/Paypal, you'll be fine. They are both strongly in favor of the buyer. The sellers kind of HAVE to be honest - if you bring up any discrepancies at all, they're going to get nailed for it and you'll get full refund regardless.

Everything LTD post '09ish or so is questionable quality. Sometime around there or probably even before they expanded their production from Korea into all sorts of places, Indonesia mainly and Vietnam, and most recently most stuff is being made in China now. The quality has seen a significant drop off in recent years. So any model you bring up, I'll just tell you to find an old one.

I know the old MH-417s and Viper 407s I think are good.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 13, 2013,
Quote by eddiehimself

I don't think active pickups have a problem with being "tight": tightness is mostly in the fingers, anyway...

Sustain and responsiveness are two very completely different things. I didn't say actives weren't tight at all. I just said people automatically assume actives are tighter, "higher gain", punchier than all passives which is simply not true. There are at least 30-50 different passive pickups that do all of those traits every bit as good as actives.

I'm not against actives, I have a set of 808's, 707's, 81/89, 89/89, and 85/81 at this moment. I find the 81s and 60's work great with my rig. That being said, I'm using a Vetta 2 as my main amp and it loves actives.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
there are a dozen used EC100's on here under $500: http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm in the text field put in "ec1000" just like that. i don't understand why you cant link it over directly
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/