Hello,
I know this has been done many, many times before and I'm just weighing up the positives and negatives and wanting some opinions.

I'm thinking of chopping my Peavey 6505+ in half and having one head and one cab. The only thing is that (obviously) this would void the warranty and I currently have a 5 year extended warranty on the thing so that if it breaks I can no doubt get it fixed.

Therefore, should I modify it? Should I void the warranty in order to mod it into a cab and head simply because it 1. looks better, 2. is more portable and 3. allows it to be used a lot more flexibly.

I don't move it around a lot but when I do my god the thing's heavy. It weighs around 30kg!

Thanks in advance!
I don't think it's worth it man. It's easier to move a combo than it is to move a head and cab separately anyway. Get lifting!
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
I chopped mine the day I got it, easy, way better.

For me, I have a 4x12 where we jam that I leave there, and a 112 with the Sheffield in it for home, this way I just have to carry the head. It weighs pretty much exactly half what the combo did.
Last edited by Tempoe at Mar 8, 2013,
Quote by Tempoe
I chopped mine the day I got it, easy, way better.

For me, I have a 4x12 where we jam that I leave there, and a 112 with the Sheffield in it for home, this way I just have to carry the head. It weighs pretty much exactly half what the combo did.

But is it worth voiding the 5 year warranty? What if I chop it and it's amazing for 6 months and it breaks? Would the pleasure of having it chopped really outweigh the fact that I now have to pay to get the problem identified and fixed?
I never really thought about it honestly. Those things are built pretty damn solid, if they work when you get it, they should work forever. Not sure if it even voids it, your not touching any electronics other than the speaker wire. Anyways, it's up to you, mine is more than 3 yrs old now, still excellent.
Quote by Tempoe
I never really thought about it honestly. Those things are built pretty damn solid, if they work when you get it, they should work forever. Not sure if it even voids it, your not touching any electronics other than the speaker wire. Anyways, it's up to you, mine is more than 3 yrs old now, still excellent.

Fair enough. I just assumed that chopping the thing in half would void the warranty despite not touching any of the circuitry? I'm going to be replacing the speaker soon anyway. I'm guessing that doesn't void the warranty if you put the old one back in before sending off, but you can't exactly stick two halves back together. Maybe I worry too much? If you have any speaker recommendations as for what to put in there I'm open to hear them. I'm stuck between a V30/Eminence Governor or a WGS (not sure what model yet).
I use V30 Celestion in the 4x12, sounds really good. The stock speaker is alright, it suits the combo pretty well, but if you can afford a 2x12 at least it will be a great setup.
Quote by Tempoe
I use V30 Celestion in the 4x12, sounds really good. The stock speaker is alright, it suits the combo pretty well, but if you can afford a 2x12 at least it will be a great setup.

So you don't think I should swap out the stock sheffield?
Quote by Tempoe

There is no way the warranty will still be valid after you chop the amp in half.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
There is no way the warranty will still be valid after you chop the amp in half.

My thoughts exactly.
If you don't chop it, swap the speaker. If you chop it, get a 2x12 with V30s or something better than the Sheffield, keep the sheffield for a practice speaker, I put mine in my spyder and use that as a practice cab.

If the warrantee is a problem, don't chop it. It wasn't a concern to me but honestly you have to decide that one yourself.
Quote by Tempoe
If you don't chop it, swap the speaker. If you chop it, get a 2x12 with V30s or something better than the Sheffield, keep the sheffield for a practice speaker, I put mine in my spyder and use that as a practice cab.

If the warrantee is a problem, don't chop it. It wasn't a concern to me but honestly you have to decide that one yourself.

Thanks. I think I'll wait a bit.
Yeah, wait and try to find a 2x12 cab, then hook them both up. If you still want to do it in a few years you still can. The amp is super heavy and that top handle is rather useless and almost seems like it's close to breaking when you lift it, they should have put side handles that were solid

Replacing the speaker is just as much a warrantee issue as cutting the wood and using the same speaker IMO, as that would have no effect on anything...but who knows
Last edited by Tempoe at Mar 8, 2013,
a WHOLE 30kg?!

*snicker*

You need to get yourself some PROPER heavy kit.

But seriously, just get used to it, 30kg isn't that bad, if you really want to improve moveability you could install castor wheels on it.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Last edited by GABarrie at Mar 8, 2013,
Why not just put a V30 in the combo as is?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Why not just put a V30 in the combo as is?

That's what I'm thinking of doing
I know everyone has a boner for V30s but seriously, there are much better speakers. If you have any technical skill, just build your own enclosure for the head. That way if you ever have problems, you can just put it back together like nothing happened. I did this not even a month ago, took me about 3 days to build and finish and i used all the hardware from the original combo.

And also, how the **** could anyone think sawing your amp in half would not void the warranty, geesh...
Quote by bambi_slaughter
I know everyone has a boner for V30s but seriously, there are much better speakers.

That's just your opinion, man.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
That's just your opinion, man.

Really?? I didnt know that. Thanks brah!

But seriously, V30s are def decent for metal and high gain situations, but they are not the only speaker that is. An awesome part about making your 6505 112 into a head is that its easier to take around and try different cab/speaker combinations. Try some Eminence speakers or some different celestions and see what you like!

Also, hard to find, but there is a speaker called the "Vantage 30" if i remember correctly. For $10 a speaker, they sound a helluva lot like the Vintage 30s
Quote by bambi_slaughter
Really?? I didnt know that. Thanks brah!

Grow up.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by bambi_slaughter
Coming from a ****ing bronie, id say thats pretty ironic.

Woaaaaah. This thread was not made to house arguments!
Re: the warranty, read up on the Moss Magnuson Warranty Act; my understanding (and I'm simplifying) is if you mod only the cab and later have a problem with the transformer the warranty provider must show your mod caused the damage to the transformer IOT invalidate the warranty on the transformer. This question comes up a lot in car mod forums. E.g., if I flash a new tune to the ECM of my car and later have issues with a component unrelated to the parameters of the non-stock tune, the warranty on said part should be legally enforceable. The dealer cannot invalidate the entire warranty on the car because I modded one aspect of it. Of course, the specific language in your expressed warranty is also important here. But these things are built like a tank so if it works fine before the mod it should last you a good long time.

On the question of whether you should mod the amp as you described, I'm all for it and love the results: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1530322&highlight=112+in+ivory

I've gigged with mine since the mod and have had zero quality issues since I purchased it. Besides, modding it was an educational experience and a lot of fun...if you're into that sort of thing. Then, I pretty much mod everything I own...I'm a firm believer nothing from the factory is as good as it should be.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Last edited by dkunick at Mar 8, 2013,
^ exactly my feelings too. That looks sweet, I also took out the cheap piece of particle board in the front, makes it look better and lighter plus better ventilation. I left the peavy lighted logo though.
I wouldn't void your warrenty just to saw your amp in half for no real worthy practical reason, keep it as it is. My bassist had a Trace Elliot combo that he used for a good while before buying a cab, he then sawwed the amp off and made it into a head to use with his new 4x10 cab(though he made a new shell for it). But that was a good reason, you're just sawing it in half and then using it as it is, just sawn in half?

I can't see any practical reason for that.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
It will void the waranty. If you don't believe me, call or email Peavey and they will tell you. You are physicaly altering the amp=void waranty
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Bigbazz
I wouldn't void your warrenty just to saw your amp in half for no real worthy practical reason, keep it as it is. My bassist had a Trace Elliot combo that he used for a good while before buying a cab, he then sawwed the amp off and made it into a head to use with his new 4x10 cab(though he made a new shell for it). But that was a good reason, you're just sawing it in half and then using it as it is, just sawn in half?

I can't see any practical reason for that.

FWIW, My reason was first to make it more portable; the combo is a beast to load and lug around in one piece. Secondly, I planned to pick up a 5150 III cab eventually, which I did soon enough, and found that running the 60W 6505+ cranked thru the larger cab sounded far better. I can also leave the separated 112 cab at our rehearsal space meaning I only needed to haul the head to and from home for band practice. Also gave me options depending on the venue size and PA in use. It may not suit everyone's needs but it did mine. And like I said, I just can't leave well enough alone and love breaking things and fixing them again.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Quote by Robbgnarly
It will void the waranty. If you don't believe me, call or email Peavey and they will tell you. You are physicaly altering the amp=void waranty

Nah, if you ask any manufacturer they will tell you it voids the warranty. Read the law, because the law is what counts...not what the manufacturer wants you to believe. All this talk about the warranty is quite irrelevant any how. If it works fine now you likely have a perfectly functional amp. A cabinet mod won't damage the electronics and you're not likely to experience any issues due to faulty components. If the TS is truly skittish about modding the amp and how it may or may not impact warranty coverage then he probably shouldn't until the warranty expires. But that's not how I roll.

Edit: just reviewed Peavey's warranty; damage caused through modification is not covered, therefore, if TS does not inflict damage to the chassis/electronics during the mod but a component later fails due to a manufacturing defect the repair should be covered.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Last edited by dkunick at Mar 8, 2013,
Quote by dkunick
Nah, if you ask any manufacturer they will tell you it voids the warranty. Read the law, because the law is what counts...not what the manufacturer wants you to believe. All this talk about the warranty is quite irrelevant any how. If it works fine now you likely have a perfectly functional amp. A cabinet mod won't damage the electronics and you're not likely to experience any issues due to faulty components. If the TS is truly skittish about modding the amp and how it may or may not impact warranty coverage then he probably shouldn't until the warranty expires. But that's not how I roll.

Edit: just reviewed Peavey's warranty; damage caused through modification is not covered, therefore, if TS does not inflict damage to the chassis/electronics during the mod but a component later fails due to a manufacturing defect the repair should be covered.

I can totaly understand your point, but we are talking about an amp. They will void the waranty, reguardless if what you say is true. What are you gonna do, hire a lawyer for $2000 to get your $600 (new)amp fixed? Pretty dumb way to find out if you ask me
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I can totaly understand your point, but we are talking about an amp. They will void the waranty, reguardless if what you say is true. What are you gonna do, hire a lawyer for $2000 to get your $600 (new)amp fixed? Pretty dumb way to find out if you ask me

Let's not forget that even if that is the case, the law might be different where the OP lives to what it is in the US. Since the OP mentioned the weight of his amp in kilograms, it's unlikely that he lives in the states.
EH

Quote by eddiehimself
Let's not forget that even if that is the case, the law might be different where the OP lives to what it is in the US. Since the OP mentioned the weight of his amp in kilograms, it's unlikely that he lives in the states.

Good point

I do know that about 15 yrs ago I bought a brand new 4x4 Chevy truck. I had a 4" lift put on it, to make it "cooler" That voided all the factory waranty, because I altered the physical vehicle reguardless of not tuching the drive train. I had no idea untill I took it to get serviced at the dealership and I recived a $2700 bill for the transmission that I thought was covered by waranty.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeh, the guy's a Brit over hear the law is stupid, it seems to now be illegal to wolf whistle at women, bloody EU laws
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
I say do it, the amp is a cheap Chinese made model anyway so do you really need a 5 year warranty?

I did it with my cheapo Bugera 6262 combo, just took the amp out and built a custom head for it and a new 2x12 cabinet to match. Looks the tits, building/customizing your own gear is really satisfying.
Quote by bambi_slaughter
Coming from a ****ing bronie, id say thats pretty ironic.

It is saying a lot, yes. You are really that childish.

Stay on ****ing topic.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R