Page 1 of 2
Personally I don't get it. Why would I want to go to a show and see the songs played just like the record? What's the point?

When I go to a show I want to see some creativity and maybe a little danger. You know... the lead parts maybe a bit different. And maybe taken to another level. The vocalist stretching a bit.

Bands like the Eagles who just play the songs exactly like the record leave me cold. I'd rather just stay home. I guess in their case they might change the arrangements "when hell freezes over."

Give me a break.
I agree. But also think about the environment. Basically a big party everyone having a blast listening to and loving the same band as you. You all have a common interest and it's easy to make friends and have fun.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

When it comes to instrumental and covers on youtube, I like to see how accurate the musician can be with the original recording. But with the original band, I do like to see some creativity in the live performances.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
When I saw the Offspring, exactly like the record is what I got.

When I saw Billy Talent twice, I had a blast because the vocals sound quite different from the CD's. And every now and then, he'd change the lyrics slightly.
I'm in love with the band Minus the Bear, so I went to see them live last year. Boy, was I dissapointed.
Now, don't get me wrong, they sounded fantastic and they were really tight. It was their 10th anniversary tour, so they played their first album all the way through, even including their little filler songs. I'll admit, that was pretty damn cool.
But, they did nothing special. I just listened to the album again, basically. And let me tell you, I've listened to that album dozens and dozens of times (it's so good, Highly Refined Pirates by Minus the Bear).
I guess it was cool to see the amazing guitarists who inspire me play some good licks, but the lack of something to make my ticket worth it was a huge dissapointment, and I don't think I'll ever see them again, although they're one of my favorite bands. This did, however, inspire me to never do this sort of thing with my own band.
But I'll go see DMB any day. They always add a ton of extra shit. Same with moe. or any other jam band for that matter
Yeah Dream Theater is always 100% like the album. They used to jam a lot etc. now it's just a machine.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I dunno, in some ways that's true and with some bands that's how I'd feel but when I saw Opeth and Meshuggah, I loved those gigs because of how perfectly they performed the songs. But when I saw Muse it was nice that it sounded quite different live compared to the cds.

"Ein Herz von flimmernden Hirngespinsten,
Ohne Halt und ohne Boden.
Feuer des Winters,
Herr der Träume,
Vater aller Türen: Öffne!"
Paysage d'Hiver - Ich schreite
I go to see a band because I like how they sound on the record

Why would I want them to change songs that I like?

I mean little things are fine, and that usually just comes with the intensity of a live performance, but drastically changing stuff is stupid imo
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Mar 8, 2013,
i saw RATM at their last tour and most songs were like the album however they performed their set very powerfull so nobody cared about that. but with bands like the eagles i have to agree, most songs in that genre just beg for an extended solo or different bridge. e.g. ZZ top, who turn la grange into a 15 min jam session
and i think it's more fun for the band aswell
"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."
Quote by Neo Evil11
Yeah Dream Theater is always 100% like the album. They used to jam a lot etc. now it's just a machine.

huh? ...they still do jam plenty.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by HoneyboyHart
Personally I don't get it. Why would I want to go to a show and see the songs played just like the record? What's the point?

When I go to a show I want to see some creativity and maybe a little danger. You know... the lead parts maybe a bit different. And maybe taken to another level. The vocalist stretching a bit.

Exactly. And that's why I REALLY can't see the point of people paying money to see someone lipsync a performance..
alt-J, Jake Bugg, The Vaccines, Stereophonics, Kaiser Chiefs.
YESTERDAY, I WOKE UP SUCKING A LEMON...
Quote by cam sh
The Vaccines

ugh, they were awful

I liked the band that opened for them though. San Cisco
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Acϵ♠
huh? ...they still do jam plenty.

When?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I got to watch them, not so much to listen. Yeah, if the music is noticeably shit it'll ruin a concert but I want to watch something fun and energetic.
If you're taking it so easy that you can play as accurately as the record you're not putting on enough of a show
Quote by sloppyjoe24
When it comes to instrumental and covers on youtube, I like to see how accurate the musician can be with the original recording. But with the original band, I do like to see some creativity in the live performances.

This.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
I think there needs to be some middle ground. I've seen Bob Dylan and you literally could not recognize songs until you picked out the words. It was still a good show, but it is a little tough to get into when your sitting there trying to figure out what the hell he is playing.

I much prefer when band stick to the basic structure of the song, but just rock it out a bit, longer solos, different lead parts, slightly changed vocals, but when it goes well off the tracks or a 3 minute song turns into a 20 minute one, it generally puts me off a bit
I'm talking about a happy medium... you know the start of the song could be the same, and the basic arrangement... but it should change as the song goes on... take it to new places... and when there's a lead, it could start the same and then take off. Show a little creativity. I can't imagine wanting to play the same lead you created 30 years ago. Have you not learned anything in that time?
That why I listen to jam bands. Never have the problem of bands being boring live. Its a surprise every time from the set list to the musical jams and how they play the song that time around.

That's why you go see The Boss. He sticks to the basic song, but expands it, evolves it, changes it, rearranges it... it's magic. Not to mention the fact that he plays so many different songs. Over 200 (!!!) different on his latest tour.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Last edited by Demon Wolf at Mar 8, 2013,
Depends on the band but for the most part I find jamming boring. I want to hear the songs from my favorite bands.
I prefer the record to be reproducible live. I respect the bands that rely less on studio magic in most genres. If the band sounds as good or better live, then I'm stoked.
I prefer lots of improvising, personally.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
I like it when bands are on the stage and I like the music they are playing. When I get that, it's all good.
The chili peppers perfected it for me...slane castle is the perfect example of sounding different live but staying true to the recorded versions.
Quote by Josh100_3
The chili peppers perfected it for me...slane castle is the perfect example of sounding different live but staying true to the recorded versions.

John's backing vocals are out of this world from that gig. Seriously. Blew me away.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Depends on the band. The most important thing in a live show is energy. If you can have a lot of energy and deliver an emotional punch while still sounding exactly like the album (BTBAM), then that's a great show. I always like it when a band's live performance sounds like the album but is sung and played a big more aggressively, because such is the nature of playing live as opposed to a studio setting and I know from experience that means they are having fun.
LOVE ANTHONY GREEN?
Quote by sneyob
I am slightly disappointed =w=eeze took me out of his sig.

But that's okay.

^Consolation Sig
I get annoyed when I go to a show and I'm looking forward to hearing my favorite song, and they play it completely different than the version I'm used to hearing.
Depends, some songs are fun to mix things up, and some sort of are fun to hear switched up a bit. I enjoy the various ways the Smashing Pumpkins play Disarm.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by WCPhils
ugh, they were awful

I liked the band that opened for them though. San Cisco

They were awesome
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Page 1 of 2