Hey guys,

So in Namm 2012-13 Charvel have reintroduced the So-cal model.

They claim that they have tried to make a replica of the previous version, but insist that they have made a few improvement adjustments, for example they made the 2013 version have a recessed FR and the guitar is now built in Mexico instead of Japan.

First of all, are these improvement really "improvements" because in my book, guitars that are made in Japan are really high quality, as for Mexico I really don't know but just saying...
Duncan's instead of DiMarzio's? That's a matter of taste really so i'm not going to judge this factor. The new darker colored body is really nice IMO but did anybody notice that the neck looks a bit lighter colored then the previous model? The earlier version had a nice yellow neck and the newer one seems more white, Charvel claim that it is the exact same neck wood and profile but I cant see how. I honestly prefer the yellower neck but again, that's my opinion

Anyway, what I want to know is your opinions, whether you would pay the extra $ for the newer version or just get the earlier version second hand?

BTW, this is not a comparison, I just want to get some opinions because I am looking to get the So-cal and would like to hear what you were to do in my shoes.

Thanks everyone,
Cheers

P.S
If anyone wants to see more, direct, information about the guitar you can go on this link below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NWra5K_e_0

2013 model:

Previous version:
Last edited by GV8 at Mar 8, 2013,
2nd hand USA or MIJ version.

No question.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
^ that's what i'd have thought.

the neck colour does look closer to the original MIAs. I've never seen the MIJs in the flesh, but the slightly weird vintage tint to the neck put me off taking a punt without getting to see it first.

fwiw i don't see anything in the MIM version that's a definite objective improvement- only subjective improvements.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the weird neck color could just be that it's washed out in the photo...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Tom 1.0
2nd hand USA or MIJ version.

No question.

Yup. The Mexican factory usually pumps out 5-11 piece bodies. Do not want. Also do not want a floating Floyd if it's a cheaper model, though I don't know for sure which one is used on it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
^^ oh yeah, of course. but the original pro mods were a light colour, while the MIJs used a tint. it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the current MIMs use the light colour again.

actually... i read somewhere, i think it was the kramer forum, that the original USA pro mods used MIM necks. Never corroborated it, of course, and of course the kramer forum is gonna be biased in favour of kramer, but still. Might be worth bearing in mind.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by mmolteratx
The Mexican factory usually pumps out 5-11 piece bodies. Do not want.

good point, lol.

I'm guessing these'll use an FRT-x000 too, but i dunno. certainly the charvels i tried had floating (just non-recessed) floyds, but as you're implying, not being recessed makes it a lot easier to block the thing if the trems suck, lol. and being non-recessed is more "vintage accurate". I know it shouldn't matter, but i do think being non-recessed looks cooler on a charvel (or on a kramer, for that matter).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Damn, this will probably put the prices up of used mij so-cals ....
"evil esteban"
if this thing melts again i'm takin' it to bugera headquarters, puttin' a bag of fecal matter on it, ringin' the doorbell and flippin the switch from "standby" to "on", and running.

"tubetime86"
This wasnt even a cool story... Bro.
I always has GAS for the Pro Mods. Something about a superstrat with a floyd and no pickguard that always gets me. Won't be buying the MIM version, however.

Side note: Dave_Mc, do you have a thing for Kramers? Or do you just feel that they're relevant given the Charvel discussion?
Because of this thread I am going to pick up a MIJ So-Cal tomorrow. Place I go doesn't have White so I'll have to get red or black. I guess red since one of my Strats is black with maple.
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
- TC-50, Mark Five:25, Invective (soon), Vypyr 60
Quote by 4FunandProphet

Side note: Dave_Mc, do you have a thing for Kramers? Or do you just feel that they're relevant given the Charvel discussion?

nope just figured they were relevant
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Glad to see the Schaller type tuner buttons. The Grovers on the USA guitars always seemed out of place to me.
I'd rock a San Dimas if they made them with vintage trems.

inb4 "just by a fender with a HSH routing"
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by BobDetroit
Glad to see the Schaller type tuner buttons. The Grovers on the USA guitars always seemed out of place to me.

good spot. i guess that's one advantage the MIMs have, to be fair.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
This guitar is overpriced. It is mexican and and then the cheapo Floyd. It was not worth even when made in Japan due to the joke bridge.
Quote by BananaJoe
This guitar is overpriced. It is mexican and and then the cheapo Floyd. It was not worth even when made in Japan due to the joke bridge.

Man. That was well worth the necrobump.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by BananaJoe

Useless necro and how is the bridge a joke? I have had no problems with it. And I think it's reasonably priced, it's not even that expensive (I would say it's pretty cheap). One of the best feeling guitars I have tried.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by BananaJoe

Funny how somebody coming from a 10-year hiatus of not playing guitar up until a few days ago can talk trash on a guitar.
Dude U cant trash on a guitar that is generally known to be one of the best options for that price range unless U have had any experiance with it or at least give a good statement why...
Last edited by GV8 at Aug 5, 2013,