Ultimate Guitar, I need your help! I'm a bassist recently turned guitarist and I am delving further into equipment. I have my rack from playing bass which I am now using for guitar. I just bought some pedals and need help setting things up properly.

For an amp I have a Peavey Valveking 100 head
into a Line 6 Spider Valve 412VS
I have a Fender RT1000 rack tuner (the only thing I'm using in my rack besides my power conditioner)

I currently go from the input of my amp into the out of the RT 1000. Then I plug my guitar into the input of the tuner.

I have been getting some pretty bad feedback so I bought an ISP Decimator. I also have a Boss DD3 Delay, a Boss GE-7 EQ, and an Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer.

I have NOT hooked a single pedal up to my amp yet. I don't know what order things should go in, or whether to use my effects loop on my amp or not. Like I said, I'm new to the guitar equipment world. Any assistance would be immensely appreciated!
Last edited by Bacnator at Mar 8, 2013,
Are you sure you arent getting the feedback as a result of microphonic pickups and/or valves? What guitar are you using?
Quote by Bigbazz
Are you sure you arent getting the feedback as a result of microphonic pickups and/or valves? What guitar are you using?

I have an American Telecaster with Seymour Duncan Hotrails in the bridge and an ESP LTD EC1000 with EMG's
So you're getting the feedback with both guitars? How loud is the volume on the amp when this occurs? Bedroom volumes or rock star volumes? If you catch my drift!

And I'm assuming this is happening when you just plug the guitar straight into the amp, no tuner unit or pedals? If I'm reading your post correctly, its just Guitar > Amp > Speaker cabinet.
Volume around 12 oclock and Gain around 2:30
This is while using the tuner. and yes feedback with both guitars, the tele moreso than the ltd
Last edited by Bacnator at Mar 8, 2013,
Quote by Bacnator
Volume around 12 oclock and Gain around 2:30

Rockstar volumes then, you must be blowing the roof off with that, first if you can try standing in a seperate room, somewhere where you can be sure the vibrations of the amp aren't influencing the guitars too much, to see if the feedback still occurs.

If it still happens it's likely an amp issue (which is the likely case anyway if it does it with both guitars already), next I want you to go look around the back of the amp and adjust the A/B to Class A knob, just change it to see if that affects it (how do you have it set at the moment?).

Next up will be to check if your valves are microphonic, so get a pencil with a rubber on the end to hand, and a screwdriver.
Last edited by Bigbazz at Mar 8, 2013,
Unfortunately I'm not near the amp at the moment. I believe I have the texture knob set around 3 o'clock
Quote by Bacnator
Unfortunately I'm not near the amp at the moment. I believe I have the texture knob set around 3 o'clock

When you get the chance, do all the above but first check if it isn't cause by your tuner unit, if all of the above has no effect then you should check if the valves are microphonic by giving them a very light tap with the rubber end of a pencil, if they make a lot of noticeable noise then you have probably found your issue.
Quote by Bacnator
To clarify, tap the valves while the amp is on?

Yep, while the amp is on, just a light tap.
I appreciate the help sir. Any words of advice with the pedals? I still plan on using them all. Or should I just hold off until I figure if the amp is good or not?
Quote by Bacnator
I appreciate the help sir. Any words of advice with the pedals? I still plan on using them all. Or should I just hold off until I figure if the amp is good or not?

Actually you have a really nice set of pedals there, get your amp issues sorted and crack on with it. The Valveking is a great sounding amp too, the other guitarist in my band gigged with one for years alongside my 5150 and his was able to dial in identical sounds to my amp (atleast not a difference you could notice live, perhaps on record), while also being a little more versatile than my own.

Great amps.
The most common way to set up your pedals is the following, using the Tube Screamer as a boost in front of the amp, gate right before the amp, and having the graphic EQ and time-based effects (delays, reverbs, choruses, tremolos, etc.) in the effects loop of the amp. Using the effects loop for these effects places the effects between the pre-amp and the power-amp sections of the amp and is ideal for achieving the "best" results.

Guitar -> Tubes Screamer -> ISP Decimator -> Valveking input.

Valveking effects loop send -> Boss GE-7 -> Boss DD3 -> Effects loop return.
What he said above is correct, but don't be afraid to experiment.

I currently use this.

Guitar > Danelectro Compressor > Boss Noise Gate > Bad Monkey Overdrive > Amp input
Effects loop Send > Marshall Bluesbreaker Overdrive (set on volume boost mode) > Digitech Digital Delay > Effects loop return.

Now originally I had the Boss Noise gate first in the chain, but the main source of noise was coming from the compressor so I swapped the compressor to the front, the Noise gate then cut the noise.

The Bad Monkey Overdrive was not causing any noise anyway so didn't need to be infront of the noise gate. In an ideal situation you want to be able to run the noise gate as low as possible so the more you put infront of it the more you're likely to need to turn up the threshold, so in my case I only needed to run the compressor in the front to cut the noise so there was no need to also run the overdrive infront of it.

Noise gates can do weird things to your sound, tone sucking and weird things to the dynamics of your playing, so being experimental to where you put them that suits your playing and your pedals best is worth the time.
Using the Tube Screamer as a boost with the ISP Decimator is a great way to reduce noise and feedback while tightening up your sound regardless of what style of music you are playing (judging that it will be using distorted/overdriven electric guitar).

You can start off by dialling the pre-amp gain back closer towards 1 o'clock and dialling in the settings on the Tube Screamer to:

Level: Max
Tone: About noon-2 o'clock
Drive: Minimum, very slightly turned on (about 2/10)

Place the settings on the ISP decimator high enough that it is acting as a proper gate should and stopping all noise when you are not playing, while not choking off the notes while you are playing them. The Tube Screamer will help sustain your notes a bit better than using the ISP decimator alone.

For the settings on the DD-3 it's pretty much your call on how crazy you want your delay settings to be. Experiment with the settings until you think you have found something to your liking. Again, using the DD-3 in the effects loop is ideal as it won't be choked by the ISP Decimator in front of the amp, nor will it be creating noise if you were to place it after the ISP Decimator in front of the amp. The delay functions will work much better with the pre-amp boosting them.

As the effects loop on the ValveKing is a buffered loop this will also help boost the signal being sent and will render the DD-3 and the GE-7 EQ very effective. For settings on the GE-7 find whichever frequency ranges you wanted to either accentuate on or decrease from your favourite tone you can find with nothing but the ValveKing's built in equalizer section. This way you can use the GE-7 for it's intended purpose - to fine tune your sound. Relying on the GE-7 entirely as an equalization unit in the effects loop will not have as drastic of an effect like it would in a bass rig, especially since it has much less frequency bands.

A common approach is to either boost your mids with the GE-7 or to "scoop" your mids while cranking the mids on the EQ section of the ValveKing.
Much appreciated guys! Really, thank you. Where would my rack tuner come into play in all of this? I just wanna make sure everythings hooked up correctly!
I'm not 100% certain, because to be honest rack tuners don't really have a place in a rig set-up like yours. Most guitarists opt for a pedal tuner, the size of a stomp-box, and they will place this as the first pedal the guitar meets.

ie. Guitar-> Pedal Tuner -> TS-9 -> Decimator -> Amp

As most rack-tuners are based for rack setups, such as drawers with pedals set up in them for MIDI access through a large foot controller I'm not sure if you can use yours in your set up without having a lot of cables all over the place.

You are better off trading in your rack tuner for a small stomp-box sized pedal tuner. Boss TU-2's are a very popular item, but I would recommend finding a Planet Waves tuner pedal as they are true-bypass compared to a buffered out, which is much less likely to colour your tone when turned off.

Also, having a stomp-box tuner as the first thing in your pedal board works great as a mute function when you are on stage/rehearsing as it mutes the signal right from the source - the guitar.