Page 1 of 4
So in my Psych class today, we learned about this University of California professor who conducted a meta-analysis (in other words she looked at a whole bunch of past studies to find consistencies in results) and found, among a few other things, that religion and spirituality was a strong determinant of happiness in human beings.

I find this interesting and wanted to address it to the Pit because it seems no coincidence that most people on here are non-religious or non-spiritual and seem to have pretty low levels of happiness and lots of social difficulty in real life.

So what are your thoughts on this? Do you agree with this finding? Is the Pit an example of it?
I am fairly religious/spiritual and I am a mostly happy person, so I guess that's what happens when you're a Godless atheist
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
The Pit is not a good example of anything.

That said, I'm sure that the UC professor's findings were correct.

Quote by genghisgandhi
Stupid people are happier than smart people and are also more likely to follow a religion

Yes, yes...all religious people are stupider than atheists. Worst argument ever.

I think you might be trolling though...
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 8, 2013,
i guess that's the cross we have to carry
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Yes, yes...all religious people are stupider than atheists. Worst argument ever.

I think you might be trolling though...

While I have your attention, you have this quote on your facebook - '"It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible." - George Washington'

He never said that so you should probably remove it.
"I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is." ~Albert Camus
well...ive never seen a sad ******

but yeah religion can help peopl feel better it gives them somehting to hope for in the future and gives their lives purpose
but it doesnt work for me the whole"faith" thing

edit:i cant say ******?
thats ****ign ******ed

edit again: what if i mean it as slow down
the concrete wall ******ed the lave flow but in the end it only bought people more time to escape

edit: lame
Last edited by supersac at Mar 8, 2013,
Miserably sagacious 4 ly6fe
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
I don't think there's anything inherently bad about religion and spirituality. They help many people.

We blame religion for a lot of things, but we forget that it's the people who distort religion, not the other way around.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Yes, yes...all religious people are stupider than atheists

Thank you for pointing out the obvious. We welcome you to the fold.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by █▐▌█▐▌
"I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is." ~Albert Camus

Hmm i actually like this quote. Good post bars.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by █▐▌█▐▌

And which God do you chance believing in?
Ignorance is bliss
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Santa Claus makes people happy.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by whywefight
And which God do you chance believing in?

Cthulhu.

He is going to kill you anyway, might as well join the winning side.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Religious people don't usually have to worry about discrimination or hatred thrown at them all the time. I can't even be vocal about my beliefs where I live because simply not believing a god exists here is prejudice to other people's beliefs.

Yet, I'm still happy. I'm listening to an amazing album right now that's making me all giddy. c: so take dat to da bank, bro.
Sad, depressed people are annoying and should probably all kill themselves
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I don't practice any form of religion and I consider myself a pretty happy person. Truth is religion bores the LIVING SHIT out of me. So if anything, religion makes me sad. I just believe in being a good person.
I don't care if it is or isn't. I enjoy being happy. That's all there is to it.

I don't like to associate my religion with anything other than my personal belief. I keep it to myself.
Quote by genghisgandhi
Stupid people are happier than smart people and are also more likely to follow a religion

A single belief doesn't define intellect, dude.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Mar 8, 2013,
Quote by magnus_maximus
Prayer shuts down a bit of the brain temporarily and helps you feel "at peace".

When's it suppose to turn it back on?

/Athedick
Quote by █▐▌█▐▌

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing that we do matters, then all that matters is what we do. Because that's all there is. What we do, now, today. All I want to do is help, because I don't think people should suffer as they do. Because, if there is no bigger meaning, then the smallest act of kindness is the greatest thing in the world." - Angel.

Seems like a perfectly good way to live life as if there is no god.
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
This just in: False consolation is consoling.

Quote by █▐▌█▐▌

This relies on your god being utterly ******ed.

And also, which god?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart
This just in: False consolation is consoling

Sounds like a good prescription for depression
Quote by Crofty89
"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing that we do matters, then all that matters is what we do. Because that's all there is. What we do, now, today. All I want to do is help, because I don't think people should suffer as they do. Because, if there is no bigger meaning, then the smallest act of kindness is the greatest thing in the world." - Angel.

Seems like a perfectly good way to live life as if there is no god.

ok well well me, albert camus and god disagree.
I don't find that surprising at all. Religion can give you security & peace of mind. As an atheist you're on your own against an indifferent universe.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
They act as a conduit of gratification, but it takes faith to accept it
faith is synonymous with ignorance

Quote by Crofty89
then all that matters is what we do. Because that's all there is.

this is what I were getting at in that thread
Last edited by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT at Mar 8, 2013,
Quote by █▐▌█▐▌
the one true god obviously.

tommy ramone?

hahahahaha jk they suck
Quote by magnus_maximus
Hurr hurr hurr. When's that stick come out yer arse?

Oh, I'm just yanking your chain.
Well I'm an atheist and sometimes I'll start thinking about the inescapable permanence of death and I just sort of lay on the ground and start crying. So maybe they're onto something.
I wish I was able to believe in a god actually, for this very same reason but I just can't, I find the whole notion of a divine creator irrational. I have a super religious friend that is 10x worse off than me and a lot of people his age, but somehow he says that God helps him stay strong and even if he is sad sometimes he's still happy. Thing is that out of all of our friends, he's the only one religious and in the worst condition, but the most outgoing and "happy". Not saying all of our other friends are depressed scum, but we are pretty neutral.

I don't know, he also not the brightest of the group of friends, so that also might be it, since I have a theory that he isn't capable of seeing far out into the future and the consequences of some of his decisions and just decides to live without any thought what so ever about where he's going.
Page 1 of 4